[MOD 0.12.33+] Capacitors and Batteries (Accumulator mod)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12.33+] Capacitors and Batteries (Accumulator mod)

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

This mod splits accumulators into two types:
Battery Accumulator: slow to charge/discharge but can store a lot of power
Capacitor Accumulator: doesn't store much but can charge/discharge rapidly

Long Description
Images
Vanilla Version
Harder Energy Version
Attachments
Capacitors_and_Batteries_0.9.2.zip
Version for Harder Energy experience. Disable Harder Energy if you use this version; Harder Energy is already incorporated into this mod to prevent conflict.
(428.01 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Capacitors_and_Batteries_0.9.1.zip
Version for vanilla experience.
(427.65 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.33+] Capacitors and Batteries (Accumulator mod)

Post by Qon »

My guess: capacitor accumulators will not be charged from battery accumulators. And since capacitors have lower capacity they will run out in the first attack wave and your base will be undefended at the second wave. But you can of course skip capacitor accumulators and laser turrets (or make enough battry accus to feed lasers) and use gun turrets instead (which use even more energy if you disregard laser drain).

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

There's a few wrinkles to smooth out. If all you do is throw down some capacitor accumulators, your lasers will be able to fire, but the capacitor accumulators will refill only as fast as your power network allows for. You can throw the capacitors and laser turrets onto a separate energy network and prevent your main power from being drained. Then your total energy throughput on that network can be just a fraction of what is needed to power the lasers. If they are shooting 10% of the time, you only need 10% of the power required to run them.

With 0.13 and power switches, more configuration options will become possible. It may already be possible to do this with a circuit network, but with power switches it'll be even easier: make the accumulators drain/fill in a controlled fashion. For instance you could set up a system that draws solar panel power to charge the battery accumulators during the day, and then discharges them at night, providing power to your base. You could have backup power systems that remain ready but generally off, soaking up the maximum potential from your solar panels.

Another trick could be backup capacitor accumulators which could prevent your base from losing power by supplementing it and triggering an alarm when main power goes offline, giving you time to fix the problem. You could buy even more time by stringing up mixed accumulator types such that the capacitor accumulators run your base, and the battery accumulators refill the capacitor accumulators, making them last a bit longer.

You could have your highest power cost facilities in one part of your base, and have them shut down during a power emergency. If the rest of the base is power efficient, it could run on a moderate-sized battery accumulator rig.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

thereaverofdarkness wrote: You could buy even more time by stringing up mixed accumulator types such that the capacitor accumulators run your base, and the battery accumulators refill the capacitor accumulators, making them last a bit longer.
So this is possible now in 0.12 (and verified) or only in 0.13? I don't see how power switches would solve the problem. You aren't very focused on the problems I brought up. I'm wondering if you are even adressing my post with yours...

From experience with other mods I don't think this works, unless you have done more than just altering their (dis)charge and capacity. Normally capacitors can not charge other capacitors in vanilla factorio. Did you think about that when making the mod and have verified that this actually works, or are capacitor accumulators worthless?

Ehh, screw it. Checking your source code.....

....done. You are making a modified accumulators by just changing the numbers from the base vanilla accumulator as template. It's not going to work. Capacitor accumulators are useless at night and your base will be eaten by natives if you use this to defend yourself, unless you build a stupid amount of them. But then you are probably better of with a stupid amount of battery accumulators instead since that will give you high burst capacity and enough energy to survive the night. In the late stage lasers are using less and less compared to your base anyways if you keep your borders clean and start building big.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

They're only useless at night if you rely heavily on solar power. I didn't know that accumulators couldn't charge other accumulators, but I am aware that they need some work to enable more customization of power usage.

With steam engines for power, capacitor accumulators work well. They aren't very important using the vanilla mod with vanilla energy, but with harder energy and harder laser turrets the capacitor accumulators are a Godsend.

Ron Albert
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ron Albert »

Qon wrote:My guess: capacitor accumulators will not be charged from battery accumulators. And since capacitors have lower capacity they will run out in the first attack wave and your base will be undefended at the second wave. But you can of course skip capacitor accumulators and laser turrets (or make enough battry accus to feed lasers) and use gun turrets instead (which use even more energy if you disregard laser drain).
i do agree with you but would you please share some evidence based reference that support this assumption!

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Ron Albert wrote:
Qon wrote:My guess: capacitor accumulators will not be charged from battery accumulators. And since capacitors have lower capacity they will run out in the first attack wave and your base will be undefended at the second wave. But you can of course skip capacitor accumulators and laser turrets (or make enough battry accus to feed lasers) and use gun turrets instead (which use even more energy if you disregard laser drain).
i do agree with you but would you please share some evidence based reference that support this assumption!
What kind of evidence do you want, and for what? Accumulators don't charge eachother in vanilla, this is a fairly well known fact. And you can easily test this yourself. Place down a accumulator that is connected to a charged accumulator but not any other power sources and you'll see that it won't be charged.

His mod adds more accumulator types that have other storage and (dis)charge values so they will work like vanilla accumulators. You can also check this for yourself if you want. The mod is just zipped mod data structures with no lua code to alter their behaviour and their energy priorities are the same as vanilla accumulators.

The rest is just the consequences of the given behaviour.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

In my playtesting I discovered that there was no need for the batteries to charge the capacitors. Once the capacitors were drained, the lasers would fire very slowly. If they were paired with enough gun turrets to fend off an attack wave, then your power would come back on pretty quickly if it even went down at all. If you didn't have enough turrets to take out the whole wave, a loss of power was the least of your problems.

In short, it works great!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Main issue is that at night, if you use Solar power, the capaciters drain instantly. Need to figure out how, possibly circuit network manipulation, to have the capacitors only power laser turrets.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Ranakastrasz wrote:Main issue is that at night, if you use Solar power, the capaciters drain instantly. Need to figure out how, possibly circuit network manipulation, to have the capacitors only power laser turrets.
Yes, you need a way to switch the capacitor accumulator network away from your main grid.

It would work perfectly if power was drawn first from accumulators that were more full, but it draws from all accumulators equally regardless of their individual charge level. I don't have any way to fix it that I'm aware of.

pofigismo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pofigismo »

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Penguin/transformer
Here's a way to force accumulators charge other accumulators. The transformer 'forces' electricity in one direction. Hook it all up with correct wiring and you should be good.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Nice! Too bad they don't do it by default, but I guess this is good enough!

Return to “Mods”