[MOD 0.14] AAI Vehicles: Miner

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jymres
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] AAI Vehicles: Miner

Post by jymres »

Hi, I'm not sure if it's the Miner or the Hauler, but is there a way to adjust the amount transferred from one to the other, like a GUI with sliders or where it can be edited in a configuration file? One of the mods I have installed does larger than normal stacks and the auto transfer seems limited to around 12k of each ore type.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Silent Darkness wrote:I find it odd that the vehicles don't produce ANY pollution. With the exception of the miner, when it's mining. I would think that it'd produce at least a teeny, tiny amount of pollution, due to exhaust fumes.
I'll see if there's anything I can do about that.
jymres wrote:Hi, I'm not sure if it's the Miner or the Hauler, but is there a way to adjust the amount transferred from one to the other, like a GUI with sliders or where it can be edited in a configuration file? One of the mods I have installed does larger than normal stacks and the auto transfer seems limited to around 12k of each ore type.
It's a setting on the hauler, it has default unit data for common resources set to 12k. If you use a vehicle deployer you can set it's unit data using a connection on the right. Try setting a few million for each item you want to collect, the number sets the acceptable capacity for that hauler.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Silent Darkness wrote:I find it odd that the vehicles don't produce ANY pollution ... due to exhaust fumes.
leaving behind a "pollution trail" might cause biters to attack the vehicle, follow the vehicle (or follow the trail backwards to the factory) over long distances, etc. in the late game this might be a welcome challenge, but then you could also use electrical vehicles. and in the early game when you don't have that option, it could be quite difficult to handle.

and it would cause a lot of additional stress on ups and the cpu since all chunks where you travel would be kept active for a while instead of just the factory and the chunk where your character is. similar to the effects that less trees and a concreted factory might reduce lag caused by the trees themselves, but increases lag by spreading pollution faster and wider.

Metalface7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Metalface7 »

It appears that the miner can still function and move without being supplied with any sort of fuel.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Metalface7 wrote:It appears that the miner can still function and move without being supplied with any sort of fuel.
It should have a few seconds worth of energy in it's energy buffer when it is deployed, then it should run out of energy unless it collects some wood or coal. If it does not then that's a bug.

Disferente
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Disferente »

Love the mod, there's just two thing I need now, an oil pump vehicle (plus thermal water extractor from angel mods, and maybe something to pump water from lakes) and a hauler with a tank. No idea of how hard it would be to create that though.
Edit: Would need a depot for liquids too...

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by miturion »

Love the new tiers of miners. They look really cool. My favorite is the mk4 with the badass mining head at the back.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Disferente wrote:Love the mod, there's just two thing I need now, an oil pump vehicle (plus thermal water extractor from angel mods, and maybe something to pump water from lakes) and a hauler with a tank. No idea of how hard it would be to create that though.
Edit: Would need a depot for liquids too...
Wouldn't you just end up with the vehicle just sat on the oil resource forever? ... like a structure?

A fluid hauler might be worthwhile but difficult to control because of the no-mixing-fluids thing. Maybe the fluids could be virtual, so maybe they could be mixed in the hauler and then the fluid depot only accepts 1 type... It's worth thinking about.
miturion wrote:Love the new tiers of miners. They look really cool. My favorite is the mk4 with the badass mining head at the back.
Hey thanks, I'm glad I put in the extra effort and didn't just have 5 tiers that looked the same.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

not status in consumsion

and 2 not statstics in consumsion
Attachments
2017-02-24_2-45-32.jpg
2017-02-24_2-45-32.jpg (259.88 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
2017-02-24_17-09-42.jpg
2017-02-24_17-09-42.jpg (146.7 KiB) Viewed 8078 times

actioninja
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by actioninja »

I love the concept, it's also got some gorgeous models for a mod. The miners fit right into the aesthetic of the rest of the game.

The biggest problem I have is that the current balancing for the miners is a little crazy. The Miner mk1 is almost 11 times better than burner miners for the cost of around 6 burner miners, and on top of that is mobile. In my game in the interest of making miners not the go to option I just divided each mining rate by 4. My logic being that since they have the advantage of being mobile, they should be just a bit worse than if you just invested that metal into static miners. It might be a bit excessive for most people though. I still think you should take a look at balancing things anyways, default ones feel a bit cheaty and basically obsolete normal miners.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

When the mining speed was 4 times lower people complained that it was too slow.
Mining speed has been reduced by 25%. It's still probably OP but I'm making balance changes in a series of small increments.

Currently the MK1 cost is around 6 burner miners, it has a mining speed of around 6 burner miners but more mining power (so around 8 burner miners effectively), but the energy consumption of 10 ish burner miners.

One thing I'd like to avoid is making them too weak because that will incentivise people to put more per ore field which will just slow the game down unnecessarily. Basically, I'm leaning towards making them more expensive than weaker.

Suggestions and feedback welcome.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

More expensive would be the better option. As stated it would help keep the overall number of miners needed down.

Sedar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedar »

Today, I first tried to install a set of AAI modifications and I can say that it's amazing. Thank you for your hard work. These аutomatic miners that can cut down trees just wonderful.

But looking closely, I found the miners have one drawback, very serious for me. They generate a very large amount of pollution. For ordinary mining drils, I try to provide efficiency modules, from Bob-mod. As early as possible. After that the pollution from the mining drils decreases dramatically. The formula is:
((Base drill pollution-80% of the cost of energy) - 80% pollution modifer) = 4% of the base pollution of the mining drill.
I suggest adding the ability to use modules for miners, if possible. :geek:

Also if it is possible to add technology/technologies that reduce the pollution of miners. Or add a few grades of eco-friendly miners working on electricity/batteries.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

The pollution will be reduced soon, I'm not sure by how yet, maybe -25% to start with. They will also be a little bit more expensive.

Modules for miners should be possible. It places an invisible burner miner underneath it so I might be able to clone modules from the inventory into that.

Pollution reducing tech is not impossible but it would involve creating a new set of reduced pollution invisible burner miners for every tech and for every miner tier along with some scripting to handle the swapping, and that's not something I want to do.

Battery-powered miners are in the works, they're nearly done.

Sedar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedar »

Earendel wrote:The pollution will be reduced soon, I'm not sure by how yet, maybe -25% to start with. They will also be a little bit more expensive.

Modules for miners should be possible. It places an invisible burner miner underneath it so I might be able to clone modules from the inventory into that.

Pollution reducing tech is not impossible but it would involve creating a new set of reduced pollution invisible burner miners for every tech and for every miner tier along with some scripting to handle the swapping, and that's not something I want to do.

Battery-powered miners are in the works, they're nearly done.
Wow. The implementation of the described technologies would be interesting. But I understand that this is not very easy to implement. Perhaps it is easier if initially there will be one burner with one slot for the module in each miner, and with the new technologies, the next burner with one more slot would be added.
Thus, not only new slots will be added but also the miner's power will increase accordingly. Like so you can add technologys for every grade of miners.
Hmm, but maybe I'm wrong and we will get 4-6 burner with one module in one miner, that's not good.

Or without any technology, just every next tier of the miner will have a +1 slot of the module, so we can get 4-5 slots for the modules in the MK4 miner.

But in any way take your time, this is only my fedback.
Best regards. ;)

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Version 0.1.9 has been released.
There are now technologies required for each miner tier.

Tier 1 is unlocked at the start but this will be a config option when Factorio 0.15 is released.

Miner costs have increased.

Higher tier miners are now move a bit faster.

If a vehicle equipment mod is added then miners can get energy from equipment grid batteries to power themselves.

FrostOmega
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FrostOmega »

Disclamer: First time posting in the forum, so, if I'm doing something wrong, just yell it.

First, I love all the AAI mods, and have been using them for some time. So when I got home today and saw an update, well, I just ran to update it. But after restarting the game, it began crashing during load, stating that some module was trying to use "science-pack-4" or something...
Fast forward a couple of minutes, and I found the culprit: the Miner. It was requesting the "science-pack-4" in the technology recipe for the MK5 variant. I've edited the recipe to "alien-science-pack", and the game began loading (and working) normally.

Is that a bug, or part of something still WIP?

Also, thx again for the mods, they are really fun to play with.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

FrostOmega wrote:Disclamer: First time posting in the forum, so, if I'm doing something wrong, just yell it.

First, I love all the AAI mods, and have been using them for some time. So when I got home today and saw an update, well, I just ran to update it. But after restarting the game, it began crashing during load, stating that some module was trying to use "science-pack-4" or something...
Fast forward a couple of minutes, and I found the culprit: the Miner. It was requesting the "science-pack-4" in the technology recipe for the MK5 variant. I've edited the recipe to "alien-science-pack", and the game began loading (and working) normally.

Is that a bug, or part of something still WIP?

Also, thx again for the mods, they are really fun to play with.
Hi welcome to the forums.

Thanks for posting this bug, it is a bug and I'm fixing it now.

Nedreow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nedreow »

Bug report for v0.1.10: The first tier of miner is automatically researched, see control.lua:125.

Great work on your mods, I am really enjoying them.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Nedreow wrote:Bug report for v0.1.10: The first tier of miner is automatically researched, see control.lua:125.

Great work on your mods, I am really enjoying them.
That is intentional. The ability to start with a miner tech unlocked will be a config option when factorio 0.15 is out.

Return to “Mods”