Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.14] Tree Challenge

Post by Earendel »

Tree Challenge
  • Name: Tree Challenge
  • Version: 0.1.1
  • Factorio-Version: 0.14.0
  • Description: Can you beat the game without killing any trees? This mod makes trees (mostly) invulnerable, unselectable, and have reduced collision so they don't get in your way as much.
  • License: MIT
  • Release: 2016-10-14
  • Download-Url: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... /downloads
  • Dependencies: base
  • Category: Challenge
  • Tags: challenge
Can you beat the game without killing any trees? You have to plan your base around empty spaces and thread you rail system through gaps in the forest. This mod makes trees (mostly) invulnerable, unselectable, and have reduced collision so they don't get in your way as much. You can chop up the dead trees, they don't count.

Details
  • Tree collision is greatly reduced (40% smaller than the tree collision mod).
  • Trees don't take damage (dead trees are affected normally).
  • Trees can't be mined. You can mine dead trees for some wood.
  • Trees can't be marked for deconstruction (dead trees are affected normally).
  • Iron and Stone variants of small electric poles have been added because wood will be scarce.
  • Trees are automatically removed from resources during chunk generation so you can actually get to the resources. This applies to new maps, and new areas of old maps.
  • Landfill is more expensive (otherwise water becomes less of a barrier than trees).
Get the latest version here: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... /downloads

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Tree Challenge

Post by Usernm »

Great mod, but can you make config option to make trees possible to remove, but very expensive? Of course it should disabled by default.

In https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Neemys/building-platform mod we can change config and use very expensive recipe to add some tiles, but it's not common operation.

And other request. Building platform mod add platforms, and it would be nice, if your mod remove trees from that platforms too, like remove trees from resources.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

I can look into the tree removal config. It does kind of go against the spirit of the mod, but maybe an expensive single-use tool that moves a tree to a random nearby location would probably be ok.

The building platform mod support is a good idea.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

There is now a compatability mod for removing trees from building platforms so that it works better with Tree Challenge.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... tree-clear

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Usernm »

Thank you for this mod. But can you add command, or config, or maybe migration script, to clean platforms on saved maps?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

I had to learn how to use migration scripts but that seems to be working now. The tree clear mod has been updated to 0.1.2.

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Usernm »

Works great. Thank you very much. Now we can continue our survival without restart map.

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Usernm »

One of the oil spot blocked by tree.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Usernm wrote:One of the oil spot blocked by tree.
That issue should have been fixed in 0.1.2. Are you still getting the problem?

Tzadikim_Nistarim
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tzadikim_Nistarim »

Hello Earendel, i was wondering if i could get your attention with something related to trees since you seem to be the most versed on the subject.

I want to make my own mod, or get a spin on your tree Challenge made.

Theme: The Iron Woods

Basicly i want to learn to modify trees as you have so that i can make a mod where trees can be destroyed but where it's very time consuming even with the most advanced weapons/tools (poison capsule etc, maybe even still flame resistant) in fact next to invulnerable too anything but the bulldozer and your miner.

but weak enough that well using the mod with toxic jungle (which i plan) you can clear enough space in the early game to get such equipment going

i imagine the mod along side the mountain mod so that resource fields are covered in rocks, as well as the new willow the wisps mod, to make the mods a little more spooky.

Imagine landing on a primal world, truly primal, having to cut every single damn length of rail line out of the jungle and having to build it before the jungle grows back, while fighting off bitters and light orbs of death?

i imagine that by the end game with the best tree cutting gear such as the chainsaw that taking down a tree by hand should still take at least twice as long as vanilla.
(maybe it would be possible to add different quality saws based on the type of components used to make them?)

for now i shall battle world of ordinary strength trees, hope to hear from you soon.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Tzadikim_Nistarim wrote:Hello Earendel, i was wondering if i could get your attention with something related to trees since you seem to be the most versed on the subject.

I want to make my own mod, or get a spin on your tree Challenge made.

Theme: The Iron Woods

Basicly i want to learn to modify trees as you have so that i can make a mod where trees can be destroyed but where it's very time consuming even with the most advanced weapons/tools (poison capsule etc, maybe even still flame resistant) in fact next to invulnerable too anything but the bulldozer and your miner.

but weak enough that well using the mod with toxic jungle (which i plan) you can clear enough space in the early game to get such equipment going

i imagine the mod along side the mountain mod so that resource fields are covered in rocks, as well as the new willow the wisps mod, to make the mods a little more spooky.

Imagine landing on a primal world, truly primal, having to cut every single damn length of rail line out of the jungle and having to build it before the jungle grows back, while fighting off bitters and light orbs of death?

i imagine that by the end game with the best tree cutting gear such as the chainsaw that taking down a tree by hand should still take at least twice as long as vanilla.
(maybe it would be possible to add different quality saws based on the type of components used to make them?)

for now i shall battle world of ordinary strength trees, hope to hear from you soon.
You can increase mining time and set percentage-based damage resistance to do most of what you need quite easily.

The biggest challenge will be things like robots, FARL, and miner vehicless, and upgrade planners that can immediately kill trees regardless of their mining time. Even if you mark trees as not-deconstructable things like the rail planner interface will ignore that. You'll need scripts to detect the tree death (on_entity_died) in these cases and decide whether or not to disallow the tree death.

Here are links that helped me make the tree challenge mod:
http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/
https://wiki.factorio.com/Types/EntityPrototypeFlags
raw.githubusercontent.com/aubergine10/Proto/master/data.raw

Return to “Mods”