[MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.2

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Crixomix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.5.1

Post by Crixomix »

Optera wrote:Infinite use ion cannon vs one time use nuke seems to imbalanced.
1) Nukes should be built in a smaller silo with cheaper rockets. They don't need to get into orbit after all.
2) Ion Cannons should be used up after 5 shots. Sending more rockets up than firing ion cannons shouldn't be an issue at this stage of the game.
I think it makes sense for ion cannons to be infinite use, since the idea is that they soak up solar energy, storing it for a long time, then sending down a focused blast of light. Why wouldn't they be able to do this infinite times?

As far as nukes, I would like something a-la earth2140 where you build nuclear rocket silos. These could be smaller than the orbital rocket silo, and you supply them with materials and "build" the rocket the same way you build rockets to launch in the game. Then when it's finished, it sits menacingly waiting for you to pick a target. The issue with this idea is it would require new art and animations, whereas just launching a nuke into orbit and having it fly back down onto an unsuspecting biter base wouldn't require creating anything new.

Ideas for other superweapons:

Bot-Bomb. A warhead that places (some amount of hundreds) of the distractor robots dispersed around an area. Would be good for clearing biter bases near trees without setting them on fire, or perhaps emergency base defense against large hordes. Would need to load the rocket with many many distractor robots, along with some other things to account for the dispersal of the robots (regular rocket ammo?)

Inferno (Or napalm) Bomb. A warhead that covers a LARGE (double radius of ion cannon at least) swath of ground in insane fire which then SPREADS (imagine a huge pile of napalm jelly that slowly spreads out as it burns). would end up burning about half of a full screen. Would load a rocket with 500 or so flamethrower ammo plus various explosives to "disperse" the fire.

Tree Bomb. A warhead that uses saplings (would need a mod for this but I'm dreaming here). It would cover an area larger than the ion cannon radius with dense tree coverage, planting saplings. They then grow into trees. Could use these to build pollution cleaning walls.

Mine Bomb. Obvious idea. Load a rocket up with mines. Launch said rocket. Now you have a minefield.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I think the cargo rocket mod allows for cheaper rockets to be built, so that might be an option.

This would really be a totally different mod though than the ion cannon, so maybe we should setup a proposal / mod idea somewhere else?

About finite / infinite shots: you can easily give a RP reason for limiting the amount of shots, ie some cooling fluid is used every time or the optics get damaged by the intense energy . But for game reasons I don't think it matters all that much: if you have the infrastructure to launch one ion cannon, you have the infrastructure to launch 10 of them... it just takes more time.

zakman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zakman »

Is there a console command that can place ion cannons into orbit? While updating an old base to 0.15, I inadvertently removed this mod and lost the dozen or so cannons I'd launched :( Having a couple of them back would be nice!

GI_1963
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.5.0

Post by GI_1963 »

Supercheese wrote:
GI_1963 wrote:I seem to get this when starting a Wave Defense Scenario (and similar errors with other scenarios other than Freeplay)
Not a deal breaker, just making sure you are aware of it.

Code: Select all

Error AppManager.cpp:421: Error while running the on_init: Unknown interface: silo_script
stack traceback:
	__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:53: in function 'On_Init'
	__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:6: in function <__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:6>
Fixed for the next version. :)
Thanks dude, you're awesome.

Maverick8717
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maverick8717 »

V1.15.16 installed mod, did research, launched a few satellites, target bugs, warning sound goes off, and game crashes.

Edit, re-installed and it is working. weird

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

jpwanabe wrote:If I could make a request. An option to make it so even with auto target on, there will be X cannons always ready to fire. Like if I set it to 5, auto target will only work if there are 6 or more cannons ready to fire. Would be nice if I could have some ready for an expansion.
This is shaping up to be a good new feature, so I'll be working on an implementation for the next update.

kufra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kufra »

Installed this mod mid game to remove all those biter bases. Using Big Brother (might be relevant). had science ready, did the research for Ion Cannon and Auto targetting. Then launched a few Ion Cannons into the space. I hear the targetting sound going off, but i can't see the warnings on the minimap, and currently I'm not sure i can see any destruction at all. Map is big so i might be wrong, but is there some compatibility issues with the big brother mod?

CorBlimey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorBlimey »

kufra wrote:Installed this mod mid game to remove all those biter bases. Using Big Brother (might be relevant). had science ready, did the research for Ion Cannon and Auto targetting. Then launched a few Ion Cannons into the space. I hear the targetting sound going off, but i can't see the warnings on the minimap, and currently I'm not sure i can see any destruction at all. Map is big so i might be wrong, but is there some compatibility issues with the big brother mod?
cant help you with your issue but I approve of your definition of mid-game being once you already have a dozen rockets launched :mrgreen:

kufra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kufra »

CorBlimey wrote:
kufra wrote:Installed this mod mid game to remove all those biter bases. Using Big Brother (might be relevant). had science ready, did the research for Ion Cannon and Auto targetting. Then launched a few Ion Cannons into the space. I hear the targetting sound going off, but i can't see the warnings on the minimap, and currently I'm not sure i can see any destruction at all. Map is big so i might be wrong, but is there some compatibility issues with the big brother mod?
cant help you with your issue but I approve of your definition of mid-game being once you already have a dozen rockets launched :mrgreen:
Me and my friend call our save "casual 1 rpm"... ;)

sumdawgy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sumdawgy »

I noticed that too..not using big brother...

The auto scanner randomly looks around the map...with a larger range than your radar...you can;t see the markings fir the taget without it being in your regular radar.

So later you'll wander the map expecting to see a nest but instead the red blocks fade as your regular radar notices that the old data is no longer true..as the nest was wiped.

My robot troops come with radar and they tend to keep the map updated (helps you to decide if you will help or abandon them)...BUT....I like wandering the map getting an idea what the ion cannons did.

sumdawgy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sumdawgy »

So..

I wanna do the supply mission from time to time...
(glutton for pain..ya ya... ;) )

But I keep having to disable yer mod to play it....
THEN i have to remember to re-enable it to avoid screwing up other games.

Did I mention that I have to wait 5 minutes for game to load to disable the mod and then wait another 5 mins for a reload after?
:roll:
umm...my question ...
Can you script it so it''s "asleep" in the "training/fun" missiions?

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

sumdawgy wrote:So..

I wanna do the supply mission from time to time...
(glutton for pain..ya ya... ;) )

But I keep having to disable yer mod to play it....
THEN i have to remember to re-enable it to avoid screwing up other games.

Did I mention that I have to wait 5 minutes for game to load to disable the mod and then wait another 5 mins for a reload after?
:roll:
umm...my question ...
Can you script it so it''s "asleep" in the "training/fun" missiions?
I thought the errors with the various non-freeplay scenarios were sorted in v1.5.1. Are there still problems when trying to start a train-tutorial or another custom scenario?

sumdawgy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sumdawgy »

Supercheese wrote:I thought the errors with the various non-freeplay scenarios were sorted in v1.5.1. Are there still problems when trying to start a train-tutorial or another custom scenario?
working NOW!! :ugeek:
Although, i didn't test the train-tutorial..i will if i start another run.
Also, I'm a lone wolf player..didn't test the PVP stuff....

thank you sir! :D

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

I have a suggestion, and I don't know if this has been brought up or not (it's a long thread, sorry) but maybe add a setting to change the damage and radius?

Cheers.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

diongham wrote:I have a suggestion, and I don't know if this has been brought up or not (it's a long thread, sorry) but maybe add a setting to change the damage and radius?
Already available!
Attachments
Options.gif
Options.gif (313.75 KiB) Viewed 8492 times

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Supercheese wrote:
diongham wrote:I have a suggestion, and I don't know if this has been brought up or not (it's a long thread, sorry) but maybe add a setting to change the damage and radius?
Already available!
I feel like a derp. I must have missed that. Also nice gif xD
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

Could we get a option to autotarget nests within the always-visible region of radar coverage? With any of the enhanced radars various mods add, the always-visible region is big, and it's pretty annoying trying to target everything within it manually to clear it.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

From the Command and Conquer wiki: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_cannon

"...Also, it appears that some, if not all, Ion strikes actually originated on the surface, being fired from a ground-based generator bunker at an orbital mirror that would reflect them back down to the target."

Idea: (For mod update or new mod)
1. Launch a one-time Orbital Ion Cannon Mirror
2. Build multiple Ion Cannon Bunkers on the surface which fire at the mirror then reflect to your target.
3a. Power Drain Option A: Each bunker would drain a flat amount (40MW or more) until fully charged at which point it is ready to fire. Must charge between attacks. (I envision power switch setups to prevent blackouts)
3b. Power Drain Option B: Bunker can fire at any time sufficient energy is stored in connected electric network. When fired, a large amount of power is quickly drained and then the bunker must cooldown. (I envision auto-target condition power>x%).
4. Optionally the bunker could also function as a high capacity accumulator (take it or leave it.)

Why?:
I love the mod as is. However, w/ the introduction of nuclear power in 0.15 I think I'd like a better sink for power, and I think OIC is a good fit for this purpose. Also, launching rockets is actually useful in vanilla now.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Slayn25 wrote:From the Command and Conquer wiki: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_cannon

"...Also, it appears that some, if not all, Ion strikes actually originated on the surface, being fired from a ground-based generator bunker at an orbital mirror that would reflect them back down to the target."

2. Build multiple Ion Cannon Bunkers on the surface which fire at the mirror then reflect to your target.
3a. Power Drain Option A: Each bunker would drain a flat amount (40MW or more) until fully charged at which point it is ready to fire. Must charge between attacks. (I envision power switch setups to prevent blackouts)
3b. Power Drain Option B: Bunker can fire at any time sufficient energy is stored in connected electric network. When fired, a large amount of power is quickly drained and then the bunker must cooldown. (I envision auto-target condition power>x%).
4. Optionally the bunker could also function as a high capacity accumulator (take it or leave it.)

Why?:
I love the mod as is. However, w/ the introduction of nuclear power in 0.15 I think I'd like a better sink for power, and I think OIC is a good fit for this purpose. Also, launching rockets is actually useful in vanilla now.
That sure sounds like a fun idea, but sorting out graphics seems like the biggest challenge.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Supercheese wrote:
Slayn25 wrote:From the Command and Conquer wiki: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_cannon

Why?:
That sure sounds like a fun idea, but sorting out graphics seems like the biggest challenge.
I like that as gameplay mechanic. Very reminiscent of CnC Generals.

I'd prefer an internal energy storage draining 50-100MW at lowest priority until it has 10GJ or more stored before being ready to fire.
External energy storage would require fields of accumulators that I just replaced by Nuclear plants and steam tanks.

If the satellite is changed into a mirror the cost for it should be drastically reduced.

Return to “Mods”