MOD [ 0.18.x / 1.1 ] Bio-Industries

Topics and discussion about specific mods
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.15.x] Bio-Industries 1.7.1

Post by TheSAguy »

FallenPaladin wrote:Update: Figured it out.

When I downloaded the file from the site, I also erased the mod_settings.json. Upon doing so it went back to default settings on the "Linux" headless server, which the clients were not matched up with on the settings. So every time, no matter how many times, I download the file the settings for the mods "contents" would not match up. If your are going to run a "Linux" headless server, go into the mod_settings.json file with a simple txt editor and change the values to either (true) or (false) so you can match your client settings.

Under: Options---> Mods---> Startup Tab {For those who don't know}

SO, a reminder to anyone and everyone make sure that your settings in the mod, match up with your servers and clients or you will get the same error. :D
Glad it's resolved.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

MOD [ 0.15.x] Bio-Industries 1.7.1 and Musk floor

Post by NeilN »

Factorio v0.15.26

When Musk floor tiles appear on the screen the FPS/UPS drops. The more tiles showing, the bigger the drop. Just started happening with 1.7.1.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.15.x] Bio-Industries 1.7.0

Post by NeilN »

Looks to be an interaction with Nanobots v1.8.3 which was also updated. I will alert the other author.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

The Nanobots issue should be fixed in the latest release. Seems I didn't test a change as well as I should have :)

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Veni wrote:I started by calculating out the costs to run through recipes and process the fuel. I didn't finish because I hit problems
Fuel Net Energy (boilers operate at 50% efficiency)
40x Raw Wood ~50 MJ up to 75 MJ if converted to coke
75x Raw Wood -Net loss relative to 40x raw wood. It takes 5 wood and over 35 MJ of fuel to make the fertilizer. It does make energy faster but the extra land for the infrastructure makes it less efficient.
150x Raw Wood -The addition of sulfuric acid and wood pulp almost doubles the cost of the fertilizer, but this is probably worth it. its 11x faster than the 40x level. Probably ~ 2-3x after costs.
-You are using stone, iron, and oil at this point in a non-renewable manner.

At this point I had a set of recommendations:

I would drop the following resources. They add complexity without rational benefit.
Wood pulp. (Ends up being an exploit. You can turn wood into wood pulp to double the energy value)
Nitrogen, CO, (Just use air)
Cokecoal, Charcoal. (just use coal for the other two. You could add a coke research to give trains a flat acceleration bonus.)
Cellulose ( I would swap to an algae & Syngas based biofuel approach).

Make saplings a 0-2 reward for cutting down trees. Also a by product of the tree farming. Maybe remove turning dry wood into living trees.

Add a High Efficiency Boiler that heats water to 250*C. Just recolor a normal boiler. It should have 80% efficiency and produce 66% of the pollution of a normal boiler. The tech should be after concrete and advanced material processing and should also unlock steam turbines.
Ingredients = Boiler + 5 concrete + 5 steel

Large numbers are difficult in recipes. I would move some aspects around.
For example with the greenhouses. Use saplings to build them and change the production. So tier one production would make 4 wood and 2 saplings every 30 seconds from 1 sapling and 100 water. Tier two would be 1 fertilizer, 500 water, and 1 sapling to make 20 wood and 2 saplings in 30 seconds. Tier three would be 1 advanced fertilizer 500 water and 1 sapling to make 60 wood in 60 seconds. Doesn't have to be this; but a little fertilizer goes a huge distance in hydroponics. IRL most solutions are 1 drop fertilizer in 1 bottle of water or so.

I will discuss the biomass/algae/syngas stuff in another post. The lower tech end is beginning to wear me out. (I have some health issues)
Thanks for the feedback Veni.
Man, you are dismantling the mod.... :o

I personally like Woodpulp & Charcoal. I think I need to find an additional use or two for each though. I was thinking of maybe a battery recipe that would use charcoal. Any other ideas/recipes that could use these.
I'm on the fence with Cokecoal. Maybe I'll give it a high acceleration value, so it's a specialized fuel or something.

Agree on - CO. (Just use air)
As for Nitrogen, I use Bob's and I think most people using my mod does also, so I'm trying to keep the recipes in line whit what he has and I believe he uses Nitrogen.

I once had saplings from cutting down trees, that just becomes messy.....

Cellulose ( I would swap to an algae & Syngas based biofuel approach). Yeah, need to figure a way out to make this work. I think there is an Algae mod. I'll see what they do and try to replicate it.

As for the boilers, that's an easy implementation.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please keep it coming and I'm hoping to hear from other people also. Especially on some additional recipes I can add.

Thanks.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.15.x] Bio-Industries 1.7.2

Post by TheSAguy »

Veni Feedback
Phase 1 implemented with the release of V1.7.2.
Added Bio Boiler
Removed CO2
Tweaked Coke-Coal acceleration values to make it a train fuel.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

This is my favorite wood mod. Cheers.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

OK, may be dumb here, but how do I make the Bio cannon bio ammo ? It doesn't appear in the receipe lists of assmblers, chemical plants or anything else, and I can't see anything in the code which gives ma a clue.
Z

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Zarnoo wrote:OK, may be dumb here, but how do I make the Bio cannon bio ammo ? It doesn't appear in the receipe lists of assmblers, chemical plants or anything else, and I can't see anything in the code which gives ma a clue.
Z
You need to also play with Natural Enemies -Buildings. Do you have it? See my signature.

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

TheSAguy wrote:
Zarnoo wrote:OK, may be dumb here, but how do I make the Bio cannon bio ammo ? It doesn't appear in the receipe lists of assmblers, chemical plants or anything else, and I can't see anything in the code which gives ma a clue.
Z
You need to also play with Natural Enemies -Buildings. Do you have it? See my signature.
yeah, I use natural evolution enemies, building & expansion, as well as bobs & angels. It tells me I can't hand-craft it, but I can't see what I machine craft it in :D
Z

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

Zarnoo wrote:
TheSAguy wrote:
Z
yeah, I use natural evolution enemies, building & expansion, as well as bobs & angels. It tells me I can't hand-craft it, but I can't see what I machine craft it in :D
Z
I stripped down my install to 4 mods, the 3 natural evolution ones and bio industries, and I still can't see a way to make the bio ammo :(
Z

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Zarnoo wrote:
Zarnoo wrote:
TheSAguy wrote:
Z
Z
I stripped down my install to 4 mods, the 3 natural evolution ones and bio industries, and I still can't see a way to make the bio ammo :(
Z
It's a bug, fix in V1.7.4. Thanks for the report.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.15.x] Bio-Industries 1.7.4

Post by d3x0r »

Hi; love the additional train tracks... now if only there was some actual effect to them :)

Could use some feedback on this forum topic...
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50916 ( Add Speed modifier and limit to rails )
So like wood rails could be slower than cement rails. (wood rails slower than normal rails and cement rails faster than normal rails)
But probably not as slow as junk rails ( https://mods.factorio.com/mods/goldsword44/JunkTrain )

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

d3x0r wrote:Hi; love the additional train tracks... now if only there was some actual effect to them :)

Could use some feedback on this forum topic...
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50916 ( Add Speed modifier and limit to rails )
So like wood rails could be slower than cement rails. (wood rails slower than normal rails and cement rails faster than normal rails)
But probably not as slow as junk rails ( https://mods.factorio.com/mods/goldsword44/JunkTrain )
I had THIS request a year ago...
I really was hoping since 0.15 introduced speed modifiers that this would be mod-ible, but not so far...

Let's keep asking!

The idea was to have cheap slow track and fast expensive track.
I also thought that would would cross water and concrete would conduct electricity, but I can't hide the power linesand it looks bad showing.

So for now, this is what we have :)

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Ya figured you might have tried to get such a feature too :)

eh - there's RailPowerSystem and ElectricTrain (cheats and uses a transmitter)

Also have Solar Mats... speaking of which turns out I can only attach to RailPowerSystem with a mat... which also has to be connected to a power pole (very strange)
SolarMat+Rails.jpg
SolarMat+Rails.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
electricrails.jpg
electricrails.jpg (130.22 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
Kind of interesting that wires are always topmost drawn :) didn't really notice; was wondering how the nice mesh over the train ended up getting formed; only now did I realize it was because of the solar mats.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Hmm just realzied you overwrote standard rails with concrete instead of adding a new type...
Wonder if it would be hard to add a configuration option to add a separate type instead of overwriting the existing...

(going to duplicate the following on the train speed modifier thing)
script.on_event(defines.events.on_train_created, function(event) ... )
http://lua-api.factorio.com/0.15.30/LuaTrain.html
front_rail :: LuaEntity [R] The rail at the front end of the train, possibly nil.
back_rail :: LuaEntity [R] The rail at the back end of the train, possibly nil.
speed :: double [RW] Current speed.

( and get prior to get current train is on )
get_connected_rail{rail_direction=…, rail_connection_direction=…} → LuaEntity

Mods already have everything about a train's location; so certainly the game must.

script.on_event(defines.events.on_tick, function(event) ... )
-- something like for all trains, get rail they are on, update train speed.

so this can all be done outside of having extra attributes on the rail.

------
When I initially wrote about the idea I put it under Suggestions... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50907 which got some feedback about 'ya, I would like trains going through my base to be slower' Something like an external speed limit sign? Could use different types of rails to control 'in base' and 'out of base' speed limits also...

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

d3x0r wrote:Hmm just realzied you overwrote standard rails with concrete instead of adding a new type...
Wonder if it would be hard to add a configuration option to add a separate type instead of overwriting the existing...
Did I not just update the graphics?
and maybe the name of the rail. It's been so long I don't remember anymore.

Do you know how I can just change the tint of both the Wood and Concrete rails?
Currently I use tinted graphics and they make the mod very large. Since it's not new graphics, I should just be able to add a tint to the vanilla graphics and make the mod much smaller. I think I could just add the tint in files: "demo-railpictures-concrete.lua" and "demo-railpictures-wood.lua", but not sure what tint value to use.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

TheSAguy wrote: Did I not just update the graphics?
and maybe the name of the rail. It's been so long I don't remember anymore.

Do you know how I can just change the tint of both the Wood and Concrete rails?
Currently I use tinted graphics and they make the mod very large. Since it's not new graphics, I should just be able to add a tint to the vanilla graphics and make the mod much smaller. I think I could just add the tint in files: "demo-railpictures-concrete.lua" and "demo-railpictures-wood.lua", but not sure what tint value to use.
You did update the graphics; oh I see but the recipe is the same... just kind of wanted to make 'Concrete rails' be a speed bonus over regular tracks, so the quality would be junk -> wood -> regular -> concrete and wood-bridge and bridge tracks a slightly slower than standard track... but speed bonus is really tough. It's easy to limit the speed (which leads me to maybe I need to make all trains bonused to start and then limit them) Seems to be a kind of 360kmh speed limit.

the rail images are *-metals-* in most cases; I think the diagonal rails re misnamed and they are *-backplates-*.
I tinted the rails in junkrails (download) https://mods.factorio.com/api/downloads ... _0.0.9.zip... made them kind of rust colored.

but I guess you mean like adding

Code: Select all

apply_runtime_tint = true,   and images with  flags = { "mask" }, 
? won't that be larger because you'd have to add another whole set of graphics rather than just updating the rails?

all of the metals together is just 244,540 bytes... they're pretty small becuase they're mostly blank so png can compress them pretty well. stone-path files are much larger (total 1,025,447); and the stone path background bigger than that...

Also; although most tracks don't end up with ends; your track cement endings are all grey :) even the springs...

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

So I implemented a speed limiting(enhancing) mod..

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=51104

Readme: https://github.com/d3x0r/train-speed-li ... /README.md

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

d3x0r wrote:So I implemented a speed limiting(enhancing) mod..

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=51104

Readme: https://github.com/d3x0r/train-speed-li ... /README.md
Nice, I'll definitely add this to my game.

Return to “Mods”