[MOD 0.12.x, 0.13.x] Side Inserters

Topics and discussion about specific mods
GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Side Inserters v1.0.5

Post by GotLag »

Thunder_Child wrote:Factorio 12.0.26 seems to have changed energy required to have to be more than .001, changed it to .01.
That's the 0.11 version you've uploaded there.
It lacks any kind of migration script and doesn't hook into player research.

Thunder_Child
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Thunder_Child »

GotLag wrote:
Thunder_Child wrote:Factorio 12.0.26 seems to have changed energy required to have to be more than .001, changed it to .01.
That's the 0.11 version you've uploaded there.
It lacks any kind of migration script and doesn't hook into player research.

I'll leave it for the actual author to pretty it up, I just wanted side inserters to work.

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

Thunder_Child wrote:I'll leave it for the actual author to pretty it up, I just wanted side inserters to work.
He is the actual author. And you uploaded an outdated version; there is nothing to "pretty up" as the mod is working fine.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

I suppose it's at least partly my fault for resetting version numbers to 1.0.0 when I remade this mod for 0.12.

Thunder_Child
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Thunder_Child »

GotLag wrote:I suppose it's at least partly my fault for resetting version numbers to 1.0.0 when I remade this mod for 0.12.

I got it from the factoriomods site, didn't know you had made a fixed version. Lets just pretend this never happened :)

acryinshame
Inserter
Inserter

Post by acryinshame »

Thunder_Child wrote:
GotLag wrote:I suppose it's at least partly my fault for resetting version numbers to 1.0.0 when I remade this mod for 0.12.

I got it from the factoriomods site, didn't know you had made a fixed version. Lets just pretend this never happened :)
the FactorioMods site is good for finding mods but you should always use the Forums to download the latest and greatest versions of mods.
ACryInShame
Image Image Image

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

On Factorio Mods it's easy to miss that you're downloading an 0.11 mod instead of 0.12.

Zackreaver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zackreaver »

Hey there, phenominal mod, I feel like this should be part of the base game as a whole.

Though might I make a suggestion, the conveyance of them feels a little off.

Example:
The "Right Side Inserters" pick up FROM the right and drop off to the left, and I feel this is a little convoluted, I feel it would be better conveyed if the "Right Side Inserters" Drop off TO the right, as that would match the icon alot better, because the arrow for it is showing a right turn, but the inserter itself works in reverse to the picture, because it starts ON the right and then MOVES to the left to drop things off.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

The arrow is showing where the item is moved from and to, not the direction the arm rotates while holding the item (the two are opposites). So, for a left inserter, the item comes in the bottom side of the inserter and goes out the left, and thus the icon is an arrow curving to the left.

Zackreaver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zackreaver »

GotLag wrote:The arrow is showing where the item is moved from and to, not the direction the arm rotates while holding the item (the two are opposites). So, for a left inserter, the item comes in the bottom side of the inserter and goes out the left, and thus the icon is an arrow curving to the left.
But it doesn't, the arrows show the opposite direction of where the item is moving from and to.

In this first picture, I have my mouse over the "RIGHT" side inserter, the arrow is doing a right turn, so that would mean that it would pick up an item and move it to the right.
But in the second picture the inserter is doing the exact opposite, it's picking up the item on the right, and putting it on the left.

If the arrows are supposed to convey what your saying, then the icon's are mixed up and it's confusing.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Right from the pickup location not the insert location.

Zackreaver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zackreaver »

That is a super wierd way of conveying it.

We're usually going to be thinking of the inserter's location, and that is going to make it look left not right.

The inserter has to face something before it grabs anything, then a normal inserter would just grab the item and put it "behind" it. For the "right" inserter in this case, it's grabbing the item in "front" of it and moving it "left" not right.

The arrow would be much easier to understand if it related to the steering wheel to a car, the "front" of the inserter should be where the crane starts.

Or if the arrow is going to indicate the placement graphic, then it should have a Dash and a Triangle as the icon instead, or the arrow shouldn't be curved, it should square-like, because when it's curved it makes you think of turning.

Everytime I look at that arrow, I keep thinking thats the direction it's going to turn to drop off it's cargo and I keep having to reset the inserter because I had it backwards.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

The arrow shows the way the item moves, not the way the inserter rotates (which is completely irrelevant)

I like them this way, it makes perfect sense :D

Zackreaver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zackreaver »

The arrow shows the way the item moves if your looking at the inserter from the retrieval point, as opposed to looking at the retrieval point from the inserter.

It's just wierd, but if the normal inserter had a straight arrow pointing straight up then by relation it would be easier to figure out what the other two are doing, and I think that would definately clear up any confusion immediately by a glance.

But "Right Side Inserter" is just a wierd name for something that picks something up and moves it to it's left side.

I guess it would make "perfect sense" if you always think of things backwards, but when I'm planning a factory out I usually relate connections in relation to the place where I'm placing the inserter as opposed to the start point and the end point.

Because think of it from the reverse angle, in order to grab an item from the north side, and put it to the east side, I need to use a left inserter? Go from up, to right by using left, because if you flip everything upside down and look at the inserter from the starting point then it's going left.

That's just wierd, and if I'm the minority here then fine I'll get lost, but that just seems REALLY WIERD.

Because if I were to look at that the first thing I would think is "The inserter is grabbing it from here, turning right, and dropping it off"

But hey, if I'm really the wierd one here, then I'll just customize it for myself (I would really just change the names), but it really just makes more sense looking at things from the inserters point of view, but if everyone else has a much easier time understanding it this way then I guess it's conveying it fine and I should shut up.

PS. Speaking of inserters point of view, I would not want to work as one, I'd get too damn confused being called a "right side inserter" always moving things to my left.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

The names are absolutely backwards / incorrect. But there are other mods that do the same job and arent named incorrectly.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

But why you are interested how inserter roatates anyway?

You want to move an item.. not to be the inserter :D
Current arrows on icons work very well.

Zackreaver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zackreaver »

orzelek wrote:But why you are interested how inserter roatates anyway?

You want to move an item.. not to be the inserter :D
Current arrows on icons work very well.
Well, arrows on icons work well if you think of the regular inserters as having a straight line pointing up. As for the remark on inserters, I like to think all inserters would appreciate some recognition once and a while, they work day in and day out moving your items hoping that your defenses are good enough to protect themselves from the biters outside.
seronis wrote:The names are absolutely backwards / incorrect. But there are other mods that do the same job and arent named incorrectly.
Well glad at least someone else see's it, you can leave the icon's as they are but I really feel their names should be switched around.

Because no matter what way I look at it, a "Right Side Inserter" is mostly putting stuff to it's left.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tbh I'm not really looking at names.
I'm looking at arrows and how do I need to move my item and build proper inserter (and it's usually correct - gets better with experience).

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

And the arrow is wrong too though. Its all backwards. A clockwise rotating arrow should mean the item is placed clockwise (right) of where it is picked up. As the picture shows your arrow and name say right but you actually do left. Rotation is always around an origin point. Origin is the non moving part. The non moving part is the center of the inserter.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Forget that the inserter has an arm. Just think about where the item is moving from and to. It's a glorified item-pipe.

Return to “Mods”