[MOD 0.15+] Bucket Wheel Excavator 0.3.6(1st October)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.0+] Bucket Wheel Excavator 0.3.5(27th June)

Post by jorgenRe »

apriori wrote:This is the best mining mod ever! Could you add fences to the excavator please? It's boring to build them counting tiles of distance between them. I've tried to do it myself but my fences are appearing and disappearing while excavator rotates, and I don't know how to solve this problem...

And could you also devide excavators and unloaders? I remember you wanted to do that. As for me, I don't use unloaders at all, so I excluded them from dirs and code.

Thank you again for this great mod!
Unloaders are supposed to be removed fully since they was broken in the 0.13 update, and though not so nice looking either.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

I would love if you update to 0.14 please.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Malryn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Malryn »

steinio wrote:I would love if you update to 0.14 please.
For the time being change these variables in the info.json file to 0.14:

{
"name": "BigDrill",
"version": "0.3.5",
"title": "Bucket Wheel Excavator",
"author": "Jorgen Re",
"homepage": "viewtopic.php?f=93&t=12898",
"dependencies": ["base >= 0.14.0"],
"factorio_version": "0.14",
"description": "Adds a large Bucket Wheel Excavator, and a very fast ORE unloader."
}

Been playing for several hours with my buckets running and things are going fine so far.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Malryn wrote: Been playing for several hours with my buckets running and things are going fine so far.
Puh xD Always happy when there are no mod breaking updates :P
Though 0.15 is when il make my return ;)!
Logo

superstylin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.12+] Bucket Wheel Excavator 0.3.6(1st October)

Post by superstylin »

Hi there!

Are you planning on updating this mod for 0.15?

Thanks!

:geek:

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.12+] Bucket Wheel Excavator 0.3.6(1st October)

Post by jorgenRe »

superstylin wrote:Hi there!

Are you planning on updating this mod for 0.15?

Thanks!

:geek:
Updated/taken over by Lazer Swei
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Laserzwei/BigDrills
Logo

undarl
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Bucket Wheel Excavator 0.3.6(1st October)

Post by undarl »

Heya.

The 0.15 update for this mod put it onto my radar for the first time, so I thought I'd check it out.

I really like the concept, look, and execution of the mod, and I decided to run a bit of math on my own to check out the relative costs and efficiencies. Running numbers through the mining rate equations it looks like a Mk1 has the equivalent output of 14 electric mining drills, the Mk2 of 49, and the Mk3 of 161. I used those numbers for my comparisons.

Resource costs are comparable at all three levels, especially given the savings in power poles and transport belts for using an excavator. On the other hand, while I appreciate the research done to match up the game entities with real-world counterparts, power usage shows VERY large differences, especially at the low end.

Mark 1 excavators use 5555kW, as opposed to 1260kW for 14 electric mining drills -- 4.4 times the power.
Mark 2 excavators use 9500kW, as opposed to 4410kW for 49 emds -- 2.15 times the power.
Mark 3 excavators use 16560kW, as opposed to 14490kW for 161 emds -- 1.14 times the power. This seems okay to me.

A bit of a power increase seems reasonable as a "convenience charge" for the simpler logistics of the excavators, but the increases of the first two tiers of excavators are (in my opinion) well past reasonable.

All of that said I do plan to use this mod in my next game, though probably after whipping up a sub-mod to bring down power usages, change the localized names slightly (probably using model numbers based on your researched models rather than the Mk1/2/3 naming -- I've always found that a bit dull and mechanical), and change the recipe and tech for the Mk1 to make it available pre-oil industry.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

undarl wrote:Heya.

The 0.15 update for this mod put it onto my radar for the first time, so I thought I'd check it out.

I really like the concept, look, and execution of the mod, and I decided to run a bit of math on my own to check out the relative costs and efficiencies. Running numbers through the mining rate equations it looks like a Mk1 has the equivalent output of 14 electric mining drills, the Mk2 of 49, and the Mk3 of 161. I used those numbers for my comparisons.

Resource costs are comparable at all three levels, especially given the savings in power poles and transport belts for using an excavator. On the other hand, while I appreciate the research done to match up the game entities with real-world counterparts, power usage shows VERY large differences, especially at the low end.

Mark 1 excavators use 5555kW, as opposed to 1260kW for 14 electric mining drills -- 4.4 times the power.
Mark 2 excavators use 9500kW, as opposed to 4410kW for 49 emds -- 2.15 times the power.
Mark 3 excavators use 16560kW, as opposed to 14490kW for 161 emds -- 1.14 times the power. This seems okay to me.

A bit of a power increase seems reasonable as a "convenience charge" for the simpler logistics of the excavators, but the increases of the first two tiers of excavators are (in my opinion) well past reasonable.

All of that said I do plan to use this mod in my next game, though probably after whipping up a sub-mod to bring down power usages, change the localized names slightly (probably using model numbers based on your researched models rather than the Mk1/2/3 naming -- I've always found that a bit dull and mechanical), and change the recipe and tech for the Mk1 to make it available pre-oil industry.
Power usage was changed by LaserZwei in the 0.15 update to reflect their real world counterparts. But yea it seems kinda excessive for the mk 1.
Logo

MaexxDesign
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MaexxDesign »

This should be part of the basic (late) game !
I love this mod !
Good job. :)

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

MaexxDesign wrote:This should be part of the basic (late) game !
I love this mod !
Good job. :)
Thanks. Happy people like it :D! I'm a pure backend programmer now as my tiny bit of creativity is gone xD
Logo

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

So beautiful!
Eat it, nature.

Return to “Mods”