[MOD 0.18] Quality of Life research

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[MOD 0.18] Quality of Life research

Post by Aidiakapi »

Last edited by Aidiakapi on Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:14 am, edited 11 times in total.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Quality of Life research

Post by Tyrindor »

Reposting from the mod portal since it still doesn't email the author.

-------

The config option for "player reach also affects resource reach/item drop distance" doesn't work for me. Can still mine/cut trees from a mile away.

A few small suggestions, maybe change "Mining speed" to "Player Mining Speed"? At first I disabled it thinking it was a cheat to make miners faster. Also, an easy to use config option to disable the mod's infinite researches entirely would be very nice. I think the normal researches improve everything enough, and anything after that starts to feel a bit cheaty in my opinion, especially in a 1K SPM base.

Great mod by the way.

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

Tyrindor wrote:The config option for "player reach also affects resource reach/item drop distance" doesn't work for me. Can still mine/cut trees from a mile away.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I don't know why but I also don't receive email notifications from the forums.
Regardless, I have now finished the full rewrite of the mod, and it should address all issues you and other people have mentioned.

I have also remade the default configuration for the tiers, which should solve the problem with megabases having a way too easy time of acquiring many tiers of the infinite researches.
In addition to that, if you still think any one particular bonus is OP, you can use the multiplier to lower the effect. (It now also allows using decimals on the integer upgrades, such as player reach, so you can use 0.5 to set it to 50%.)

For now, I'm all out of time I can spend on this mod, so unless any urgent bugs pop up, I cannot add more features. However, in a few weeks I should have some time on my hands to implement the last two planned features (see mod portal).

mozair
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mozair »

i really dig what this mod adds, early-ish game toolbelts + a bit extra inventory is so great

been really enjoying it having it in my games, but have noticed that since 0.16 it is having trouble keeping the bonuses active whenever other mods upgrade

i end up having toolbelts/inventory reset to base values for instance when i upgrade other mods

if you need some extra input to help troubleshoot this let me know, but it seems like something you mentioned yourself on the changelog for version 1.0 and i'm guessing 0.16 might have broken your safeguard for migrations that affect these values

Jelmergu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jelmergu »

mozair wrote:i really dig what this mod adds, early-ish game toolbelts + a bit extra inventory is so great

been really enjoying it having it in my games, but have noticed that since 0.16 it is having trouble keeping the bonuses active whenever other mods upgrade

i end up having toolbelts/inventory reset to base values for instance when i upgrade other mods

if you need some extra input to help troubleshoot this let me know, but it seems like something you mentioned yourself on the changelog for version 1.0 and i'm guessing 0.16 might have broken your safeguard for migrations that affect these values
Also happens for me, I ended up adding console commands to lock and unlock research to manually reset the bonusus in the correct way

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

mozair wrote:if you need some extra input to help troubleshoot this let me know, but it seems like something you mentioned yourself on the changelog for version 1.0 and i'm guessing 0.16 might have broken your safeguard for migrations that affect these values
If you could supply me a list of mods you were using, then I have something to test it with myself. I haven't personally encountered any issue with the values resetting, only a bug that's amplifying the values (likely due to research being re-researched). As of right now, I've pushed out an update which always sets the bonuses when the configuration has changed (mods added/updated/removed, startup settings changed, that sorta thing).

As for these issues in general, they have been big issue throughout the lifetime of this mod. It's caused by some limitations in the API, which I need to workaround to provide the feature that you can change all the settings and bonuses on the fly.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Same issue with when any mod updates then the effects from this mod reset, thus causing large amounts of items in inventory to just vanish (not even drop on the ground interestingly...).
Aidiakapi wrote:As for these issues in general, they have been big issue throughout the lifetime of this mod. It's caused by some limitations in the API, which I need to workaround to provide the feature that you can change all the settings and bonuses on the fly.
It might be worth having those be two separate mods because the way it is working now is quite broken. The effects don't go into effect again until some research in the mod is completed...

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Quality of Life research

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi there. These days there really are too much QoL mods put there and it gets a mess easily, but your mod is very nice and I like how each thing is a research.

One, no 2 requests please:

1. Add research for added logistics requests slots please. Just like 3x reaserach for 3x rows.
2. I once had a mod that had this item which you put in your armor and it makesypu stand still when on belts. Could you add that to your mod please?

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

Version 2.2.x has fixed issues with effects not being set properly. I have put a workaround in place that should prevent any issues with regards to this happening now. Right now, the only thing that should cause the effects to get out of sync is manually un-researching a technology with a command (or a mod doing the equivalent). If that happens, you can run /qol-reset to re-sync it.
OvermindDL1 wrote:It might be worth having those be two separate mods because the way it is working now is quite broken. The effects don't go into effect again until some research in the mod is completed...
I've considered splitting the mod in two anyways, with a QoL base mod with a remote interface that other mods can call upon to add bonuses without interference, I'm not sure if there's a desire for such a thing. However, right now, compatibility should be pretty great.
BHakluyt wrote:Hi there. These days there really are too much QoL mods put there and it gets a mess easily, but your mod is very nice and I like how each thing is a research.
Thanks, I agree with you, most mods didn't suit my tastes because I couldn't configure them, they'd break all the time, changed the way the factory operates, or didn't provide all the features I wanted. The problem is kinda universal though :), image related

BHakluyt wrote:1. Add research for added logistics requests slots please. Just like 3x reaserach for 3x rows.
I've always been a bit conflicted on whether to add this one or not. Adding it on the technical side requires just one minor feature to be added, and a graphic to be made.
The more I think about it, it only makes sense to add this, so I'll probably add it over the coming days :).
BHakluyt wrote:2. I once had a mod that had this item which you put in your armor and it makesypu stand still when on belts. Could you add that to your mod please?
This one is pretty much out of scope for this mod, it'd require adding items to the game, which this mod does not. If it was something I could implement as a per-player setting, I'd happily add it, but the current API doesn't allow for that.

However, I know two mods that do exactly what you asked for (add that item you can place in your armor):

Art's Belt Immunity Equipment by aspd199, this one's sole purpose is adding that item.
Nanobots by Nexela, this one does much more than just that, however, it's kind of a more-intrusive quality of life mod, but maybe that interests you.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hey man!

I saw you have added the research. Fantastic! Now I finally have a reason to build that rocket silo on my 12 day game time map. Lol. And no I definitely do not like the...what you said? "Intrusive" kind of QoL mods. And thanks for the art belt immunity thing. Never saw it. Having a standalone mod with just that item is genius. Factorians are geniuses and the Devs are too mighty for words!

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

One can never be satisfied, hey? Now I would like some extra trash slots please!?

I think to put it as infinite science is good, then the player can choose themselves how many slots they want. I guess one just shouldn't complain when too many are researched and it breaks the game or something...

Personally I think one slot per rocket, ie it should cost 3000 science packs each to research 3x extra slots...

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

BHakluyt wrote:extra trash slots
There's infinite-trash-filter-slots by default in the game, and trash slots themselves are basically just extra inventory slots. With inventory space already being an infinite research, I don't really see the point of making the list of stuff longer for no major benefit :/.

Kamsta99
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamsta99 »

Hi, find two strange thing in your mod
Tech after reserch have no icon and name
Why tech is not in straight line?
Like:
Red Science pack>Green Science pack> ...

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

Kamsta99 wrote:Hi, find two strange thing in your mod
Tech after reserch have no icon and name
Why tech is not in straight line?
Like:
Red Science pack>Green Science pack> ...
Yeah, you should ignore those techs for now, a recent update to Factorio broke something, and I'm waiting for the Factorio devs to respond.
See more details on the discussion thread: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/qol_resea ... 000a7b8a51

The tech isn't in a straight line because it gives more flexibility that way. For most of the types the last 2 tiers are fairly expensive, so you can choose to research higher tiers but lower cost first. It's to diversify gameplay. Notably in certain modpacks going between different tiers of research takes a lot more effort, so it's nice to have extended options before being forced to go to a higher tier.

ggrnd0
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ggrnd0 »

any updates?

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

ggrnd0 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm
any updates?
It'll be part of 0.17, so when that goes live, I'll update the mod to fix it.

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Quality of Life research

Post by Omarflyjoemacky »

Love the mod. Have you thought about adding a Stack Size tech?
"And then Bender ran."

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Quality of Life research

Post by Aidiakapi »

Omarflyjoemacky wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:38 pm
Love the mod. Have you thought about adding a Stack Size tech?
I've answered that on the mod portal.

Return to “Mods”