[0.14] What is it used for?

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Kaktusbot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.14] What is it used for?

Post by Kaktusbot »

Please, add ingridient counts in recipe window. I'm tired of switching between craft inventory, researches, and this mod to know recipe proportions with bobangels.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Here's another update.
What is it really used for? 1.2.4
  • Omit crafting machines where they do not support the number of ingredients in the recipe.
  • Where you have not yet researched the recipe to build a crafting machine, highlight it in red.
  • Use the new 0.15 mod GUI flow to match other mod buttons.
  • List quantities of ingredients and product in recipe.
  • When an item is the product of only one recipe, automatically show that recipe in the recipe pane.
  • Fix bug with clicking on recipe name when that name is not the name of any item.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Kaktusbot wrote:Please, add ingridient counts in recipe window. I'm tired of switching between craft inventory, researches, and this mod to know recipe proportions with bobangels.
Thanks for the feedback. Coincidentally, as you can see, I just uploaded a new version with the feature you are asking for; I had been thinking of it too ;).

However, if you haven't already I also suggest you try Helmod https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Helfima/helmod which is better for many situations where you are trying to track recipe proportions.

Kaktusbot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kaktusbot »

Coppermine wrote:
Kaktusbot wrote:Please, add ingridient counts in recipe window. I'm tired of switching between craft inventory, researches, and this mod to know recipe proportions with bobangels.
Thanks for the feedback. Coincidentally, as you can see, I just uploaded a new version with the feature you are asking for; I had been thinking of it too ;).

However, if you haven't already I also suggest you try Helmod https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Helfima/helmod which is better for many situations where you are trying to track recipe proportions.
Thanks for great mod and advice. I didn't tried Helmod before, because it seems too complicated, but now I'll give it a try. Thanks!

StoneHead
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by StoneHead »

Latest update crashes on my multiplayer server.
Happens when i click a recipe in the "product of" list that contains geodes from angels refining.
Crashes when selecting the geodes from searchbox too (same error)
Might be angels fault, but i dont think this mod should crash the server then something is not 100% right.

Code: Select all

191.526 Error ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:94: MultiplayerManager failed: "Error while running event what-is-it-really-used-for::on_gui_click (ID 1)
Value must be a string in property tree at ROOT.caption
stack traceback:
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:369: in function 'add_sprite_and_label'
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:402: in function 'show_recipe_details'
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:567: in function <__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:508>"
 191.526 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:670: mapTick(33966391) changing state from(InGame) to(Failed)
Mods

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

No need to blame Angel; it was my fault :). Would have happened with any recipe that has a randomly varying output, like uranium processing in vanilla. Fixed in 1.2.5.
What is it really used for? 1.2.5
  • Fix crash when viewing recipes with randomized product amounts.

pjf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pjf »

Just here to express unsolicited appreciation for Coppermine. I've been using What Is It Really Used For in my rebalanced Angel/Bob/Marathomation game and it's *amazing*. Seeing the code progress as I've been playing the last week or two has been wonderful, and the recent updates to show ingredient/product amounts has been invaluable.

What Is It Really Used For is probably my most used quality-of-life mod. Thank you so much!

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Does the mod title pop into anyone else's head with Edwin Starr's voice?

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

heh, i didnt know who edwin star was but now i heard the song i know what you mean :)

i had been using what is it used for, the original, and then what_is_it_used_for_15_1.0.1.zip by someone else,
and one of the missing features had been the ability to mouse over a recipe name, and to see both the "text" and the "building icon" for the recipe where is it made.

cant wait to try this one to see the extras it brings :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

Yay!

From forums:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
by Rseding91 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Ok, I've added a focus() function to LuaGuiElement for 0.16.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Can this mod limit it's output to techs already researched, mark things not yet researched and/or tell me what techs to research next to get something?

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

Recipes for techs not yet researched are highlighted and if you mouse over the recipe the research needed appears as a tooltip. Currently, there is not a 'filter' for recipes of techs you have researched only.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

That's probably good enough for me. I will try this mod tonight. Thanks.

Kaktusbot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kaktusbot »

Will this be updated to 0.16?
It seems like 0.16 have features that you wanted.
  • The filter text box doesn't get focus when you open it.

LuaGuiElement::focus
  • Closing the window with E (or other usual close window shortcuts).

on_gui_closed

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Indeed, I plan to test those new features and update soon. Schedule is a bit busy right now, but should be within a few days.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Had a little spare time so I've just uploaded a version with minimal changes to work with 0.16. I was able to implement the focus-text-box feature, but I didn't have time to figure out how to make the window count as the active window and be closable with 'e'. Do let me know if you know how.

I didn't have time for exhaustive testing, so there may well still be bugs (a lot of stuff in the GUI API has changed). Post here if you have problems.
What is it really used for? 1.3.0
  • Updated for 0.16.
  • Search text box now gets focus when opened.

Kaktusbot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kaktusbot »

Thanks for the update!

Well, it's my first time writing lua.
I added on_gui_closed handler
on_gui_closed
And one line inside of identify() function
register as open
And it seems to work! However, I think it needs more investigation, because my experience with factorio api is zero and I'am very likely missed something.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

That seems to work well. Thanks for figuring it out :). New version released.
What is it really used for? 1.3.1
  • Close GUI window with E (or other usual GUI controls). Credit to Kaktusbot for showing me how to implement this.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

This weekend I finally found the time to implement a few more features. I'd like to draw your attention in particular to the first item, a back button, something I was inspired to do by FNEI (and I've seen complaints about the lack of).
What is it really used for? 1.3.2
  • Support for back and forward buttons to navigate the list of entities studied.
  • New "pumped from" frame for fluids pumped from entities like offshore pumps (so that people can figure out Angel's viscous mud water).
  • Clearer highlighting in recipe pane for locked recipes.
  • Limit to three decimal places in recipe output amounts (some OmniMatter recipes were generating very long strings)
  • Show crafting times for recipes in each applicable crafting machine.
  • When item is pinned to the left, there was a bug causing the "Product of" pane to never appear. Now fixed.
  • Another bug caused the recipe pane to be too tall when pinned to the left. Also fixed.
  • Fix various scrollbar issues that had arisen during the port to 0.16.

Pake
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pake »

Hello there,
I am getting this after last update of the mod (1.3.2)
Error while running event what-is-it-really-used-for::on_gui_click (ID 1)
__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:689: attempt to index field 'wiiuf_item_history' (a nil value)

Thanks for the very useful mod by the way.

Return to “Mods”