[MOD 0.12.x] The 8L Train Project v1.2.3 (Updated '16-05-01)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] The 8L Train Project v1.2.2 (Updated '16-04-12)

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Kind of surprised no one has asked this, but is it possible to add support for 5dim's trains?

Requia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Requia »

How will this interact with train mods you *don't* support?

Specifically, Bob's Logistics, which adds higher tiers of engine and traincars. I don't care about the higher tier traincars but do want to change out engines (high speed rail is really fun).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Requia wrote:How will this interact with train mods you *don't* support?

Specifically, Bob's Logistics, which adds higher tiers of engine and traincars. I don't care about the higher tier traincars but do want to change out engines (high speed rail is really fun).
Bob's mods are supported(according to changelog) - didn't test it yet.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

NoriSilverrage wrote:Kind of surprised no one has asked this, but is it possible to add support for 5dim's trains?
I've done some tests on it and while I could technically do it, it's ugly as hell because it's impossible for me to line up the graphics properly unless I redid the spritesheet positioning itself.

5dim completely overhauls the baseline locomotive and cargo wagon graphics, and as such I don't recommend using it with 8L Trains. It is not a simple recoloring like Bob's Mods, FARL, or other mods do. I'm actually quite surprised and happy that RailTanker works as well as it does since it is entirely new artwork.

And since it'll likely come up, I cannot support Yuoki Trains either. They made the artwork and then did a "best fit" of the in game train lengths based on that artwork, which means the trains lengths don't line up with the baseline game in the first place and me trying to bump them all up to a full tile resulted in being about as ugly as 5dim's.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand doing the artwork like that with both mods because art is hard and anyone who says otherwise only wants free stuff. It could take hours to realign the spritesheets and test what the right scaling numbers would work both in the current base game and for my mod. I am really hoping Wube gives some sort of train modding guidance come .13 when trains are getting that massive overhaul so it's easier to update all the train mods.
orzelek wrote:
Requia wrote:How will this interact with train mods you *don't* support?

Bob's mods are supported(according to changelog) - didn't test it yet.
Bob's Mods is fully supported by my mod. I have already done the testing and quality control on it.

If there is a mod I haven't specifically supported then it'll tend to either work flawlessly because the modder used the baseline train sprites and only tweaked a few things or it'll be really ugly and perhaps not work at all because the modder made new artwork yet used the same entity names.

If anyone knows of another mod that changes trains please let me know and I'll see if I can support it.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Ok, thanks for the detailed response. :)

johnnyBgoode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by johnnyBgoode »

Found a bug. Tried to update to 1.2.2 from 1.2.0 and somehow my trains were stuck running and the cargo wagons were damaging themselves. At first I thought it was just when the cargo wagons were on turns. But it happened on straight rails to.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

johnnyBgoode wrote:Found a bug. Tried to update to 1.2.2 from 1.2.0 and somehow my trains were stuck running and the cargo wagons were damaging themselves. At first I thought it was just when the cargo wagons were on turns. But it happened on straight rails to.
It's partially bug of the game itself. It doesn't graciously handle when wagons/locos change their parameters.
You will need to rebuild all the trains.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] The 8L Train Project v1.2.3 (Updated '01-05-12)

Yup, if you add this mod to an existing game then you will need to pick up all the train entities and place them down again to get them to the right lengths. If I knew of some programming or whatever that could fix the issue I would happily and quickly add it.

May 1st, 2016 update: Added support for Shuttle Train. Mod version is now 1.2.3.

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

I have to revert to 1.2.2 now, the trains all shrank in size. All wagons are now 6 car lengths instead of 8, in the bob's mods trains at least. I don't have anything but MK3 wagons anymore. This update really messed up my rail network big time when I added it, so I have to revert to an earlier save and undo the update. Especially since all my wagons shrank.
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Vas wrote:I have to revert to 1.2.2 now, the trains all shrank in size. All wagons are now 6 car lengths instead of 8, in the bob's mods trains at least. I don't have anything but MK3 wagons anymore. This update really messed up my rail network big time when I added it, so I have to revert to an earlier save and undo the update. Especially since all my wagons shrank.
I cannot replicate this behavior on my end with either the front page's download or the github download. Could you please provide pictures? What other mods are you using? Is everything in the correct folder?

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I have added a list of what versions of other mods my mod supports. For my mod (or any mod for that matter) to be functional you need to make sure all the optional supported mods are up to date if you are using them.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] The 8L Train Project v1.2.3 (Updated '16-05-01)

0.13 notes
This mod -will not- work properly with 0.13 and I have no intention of making it work due to 0.13 making this mod obsolete. If I do make a train mod for 0.13 then it will be a new mod with a different name so people don't get mixed up.

If there are enough people who still use 0.12 and want this mod to support another mod then I will update it for 0.12 users.

Return to “Mods”