RTS direction

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

RTS direction

Post by kovarex »

We are considering the rts direction of the game a lot.

Builder robots
Player could just order stuff to be built and where. It would be up to the builder robots, to get the needed materials from the logistic system and build it. This would be combatibile with blueprints (some kind of ctrl-c ctrl-v system, or even blueprint as item), building would take some time, and the more robots the player have, the faster it is.

Fighting units
Ordered like in rts, some kinds of robots/automated etc.
I could imagine, that these robots shouldn't be craftable like other items (I don't really like the idea of having few tanks in my pocket and placing them in front of the enemy base). Fighting units would still need ingredients and time like normal recipes, but would be only buildable in special buildings, and instead of producing items, the unit would exit the building.
This means these wouldn't be minable as well.

Throne room
Player would enter it, and he could start control the game in rts style, at this phase, he would already have robots for building stuff, and units to fight, so he would just order what needs to be done in bigger scale.

MatLaPatate
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: RTS direction

Post by MatLaPatate »

I think a very cool would be a multi-player coop RTS/Tower defense.
I mean, imagine a server, where up to 10 guys could connect, then gather their base, and after a few moments, mobs would start spawning at a high rate, increasing with the time. They would also be the abitlity to attack alien base, but for that, they would need very good stuff. Of course, that would maybe need some new mobs, turrets ... But that would be awesome.

Also, a PvP mode would also be fun, but that would need some overhaul for balance. I mean, that would be kind of chaotic with the actual system, I think everyone wouln't build factory at first, but just rush the other with the pistol and kill it ^^.
Why not some sorts of "acid lake" you would have to go across to reach the oponent base, but before that, you would have to get some kind of technologies in order not to be dissolved ? ^^

Xinvoker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xinvoker »

This is the direction I'm more excited about :)

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rymn »

This is fantastic!! Obviously maps would be significantly larger than were used to in other rts games, but it would be amazing!

vel-master
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vel-master »

That's realy perfect!!!!

Shaska
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Shaska »

Sounds nifty, but while the game is all about automating stuff, if you start to make basic things such as factory construction automated, the game will start going from constructing factories to waiting for the game to construct factories for you.
I think it would work better as just a command chair for your defences, especially if you plan on making enemies more advanced.
I'd love to be able to set up complex factories to churn out an army, then jumping into a chair and commanding it around, but if everything can just be done from a chair defended by 8 automatic turrets, it'd lose a lot of its charm I think

Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemoder »

I'd love to be able to make fighting units but I'm not sure full RTS controls would be a good idea especially for PvP where it would be too easy for players to disrupt production and shut everything down too quickly. You could make it work by using Settlers game model with a territory system so that fighters cant disrupt factories without first destroying tower defenses to gain territory control but the pathing might be difficult. It might be better to just create NPC fighters that run at the enemy like the aliens do now and have a tech tree to constantly upgrade them to overpower enemy defenses. But even then you'll need some kind of territory limit or initial defenses to prevent players from disrupting each other too early.

MatLaPatate
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MatLaPatate »

Nemoder wrote:I'd love to be able to make fighting units but I'm not sure full RTS controls would be a good idea especially for PvP where it would be too easy for players to disrupt production and shut everything down too quickly.
That's what I told already ^^:
"Also, a PvP mode would also be fun, but that would need some overhaul for balance. I mean, that would be kind of chaotic with the actual system, I think everyone wouln't build factory at first, but just rush the other with the pistol and kill it ^^.
Why not some sorts of "acid lake" you would have to go across to reach the oponent base, but before that, you would have to get some kind of technologies in order not to be dissolved ? ^^"

Milaha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Milaha »

I really like the RTS-y feel of this game while being an actual character on the ground. I like the idea of automated builder robots, but they should only be necessary for high end constructions, or if you want to drop a pre-arranged setup down (like a mine area complete with tracks) imho. I also dislike the idea of a command chair that distances you from the actual fighting while giving you full control. (or full control of your robots in general). Rather, i like the idea of the robots needing to be managed in an abstract way, such as by providing them objectives and them executing them. Stuff like "defend this area from attack" or "scout for a creeper base to the south." or "Attack X creeper base." The number of command groups and the number of robots in each command group could be limited by infrastructure and technology, keeping the focus on building up.

Now that I am thinking on it, the ability to build a complex setup once, and save that as a blueprint that is accessible in future games would be a great feature. It would make MP competitive games more about strategy (maybe even including strategy about which blueprints to bring with if we limit the number), and less about who can more quickly place down their processing lines. It would also make playing shorter games or multiple games on custom maps more viable, without removing the personal feel of having your own designs. I am having a blast setting up foundries now, but I imagine after my 10th one it will get tedious.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Milaha wrote: Now that I am thinking on it, the ability to build a complex setup once, and save that as a blueprint that is accessible in future games would be a great feature. It would make MP competitive games more about strategy (maybe even including strategy about which blueprints to bring with if we limit the number), and less about who can more quickly place down their processing lines. It would also make playing shorter games or multiple games on custom maps more viable, without removing the personal feel of having your own designs. I am having a blast setting up foundries now, but I imagine after my 10th one it will get tedious.
Blueprints is something we are very excited about as well. We placed them in our extension goals on Indiegogo.

Egorka
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Egorka »

a good idea

orbito
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by orbito »

I really enjoy RTS style games.

One thing we'd need are more enemy types. For example, a slowly spawning but powerful alien soldier. It would also be interesting if aliens had "leader" units like the Brain Bugs from Starship Troopers (great sci-fantasy movie). If we had more enemies, it would be interesting to have military robots.

Also, a minimap would become necessary.

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Arakasi »

I think minimap would be great, but I propose to have it after some research.
For example some radar or sonar research gives player special building which may monitor nearby surround. But if player walk further than its range minimap should disappear.
So user will be forced to maintain some network of radar around factory. Or not if he dont use it of course.

Xisuma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xisuma »

Builder robots
This sounds like a great idea that fits in with the game, but it is very powerful! atm the technology tree is not very large and perhaps in a game with a larger tree to get through this would be a big part of the transition through the tech tree. Very exciting idea!

Fighting units
hmm this is interesting, this game is unique, i don't immediately identify it with C&C style RTS, but that would make it seem much more like one, however i think it would not really change the game much!

Xisuma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xisuma »

Arakasi wrote:I think minimap would be great, but I propose to have it after some research.
/agree :-)

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

I assumed mass producing robots was the end goal of this game anyways. I think the RTS aspect should be semi-indirect.

Have squads that are filled with X number of units and Y of them are ranged while Z of them are close combat. The squad will stay at a flag point until you move the flagpoint or patrol a multi-flag point. All units in the squad stay together. As you produce units they automatically or manually go to squads that are lacking troops. If you want to attack you move forward and tell them what to attack and they will do it.

That way we don't get bogged down commanding units instead of building factories.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

kovarex wrote:...
Throne room
Player would enter it, and he could start control the game in rts style, at this phase, he would already have robots for building stuff, and units to fight, so he would just order what needs to be done in bigger scale.
Big scale like in map editor? Could the zooming have level of detail? with mipmaps or/and entity icons (like in Populous The Beginning and Supreme commander)? with hide options? Map tiles alone are enough to make my computer choke. Yea Its bit old. :lol:
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Hello!
As a man with a lot of experience with games and their design, I'd like to share one thought with you about the campaign:
DO NOT HURRY FORWARD TOO MUCH!

If you introduce all game concepts in 3 missions and then the game is almost the same for the rest of the time, you basically suicide the potential to hold player entertained for much longer time. It's in the early stages where player is not that demanding. Even without any machinery, player is like "wow, minecraft from top, everything is new, i can play for an hour just like that". Then you can add just one item like inserter, and build a whole mission around that. Then a mission of just going through creeper infested forest to find an old water pump / steam engine. Ability to use it in next mission. Slowly, one item at a time, not to get player overwhelmed. If a player knows he will get a new item next mission, he will play for long and not get bored.

So my advice is, when you add missions to campaign, do not add only end-game content, but also focus on the early-game. It's easier and gives player more fun.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

FrozenOne wrote:So my advice is, when you add missions to campaign, do not add only end-game content, but also focus on the early-game. It's easier and gives player more fun.
i think he has a good idea, also if you lock out high end items so that the player has to complete a section of the campaign before using it in free play.....

well that could be good OR VERY bad i guess, but then it could also be hard to implement.....

mycale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mycale »

Shaska wrote:Sounds nifty, but while the game is all about automating stuff, if you start to make basic things such as factory construction automated, the game will start going from constructing factories to waiting for the game to construct factories for you.
I think it would work better as just a command chair for your defences, especially if you plan on making enemies more advanced.
I'd love to be able to set up complex factories to churn out an army, then jumping into a chair and commanding it around, but if everything can just be done from a chair defended by 8 automatic turrets, it'd lose a lot of its charm I think
This. My oppinion exactly. I think the Focus should rest on factory construction / Automation and not on traditional RTS Features. This is what makes factorio Special in the first place.

Return to “Development Proposals”