Electric energy

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
opencircut74
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Electric energy

Post by opencircut74 »

eX_ploit wrote:There is no longer any need for other energy options since we already have nuclear. It's just to good.
Nuclear has it's advantages, but the problem with it is it will run out of fuel much faster than something like solar or steam, due to the small amount of uranium in the world. Crazy amounts of power comes at a cost. In addition to the uranium problem, you are always using other resources just to get it to your processing station (fuel for trains, sulfuric acid for mining, electricity for pumps, miners, and the many machines you need to process it effectively). So the question arises... is uranium really the ultimate choice for power? This is why we should have other forms of power such as wind or geothermal.
Master of using up all of my resources on accumulators and batteries.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

opencircut74 wrote:
eX_ploit wrote:There is no longer any need for other energy options since we already have nuclear. It's just to good.
Nuclear has it's advantages, but the problem with it is it will run out of fuel much faster than something like solar or steam, due to the small amount of uranium in the world. Crazy amounts of power comes at a cost. In addition to the uranium problem, you are always using other resources just to get it to your processing station (fuel for trains, sulfuric acid for mining, electricity for pumps, miners, and the many machines you need to process it effectively). So the question arises... is uranium really the ultimate choice for power? This is why we should have other forms of power such as wind or geothermal.
with a centrifuge running Kovarex enrichment (40 235U loop) uranium really isn't an issue.
still i would like to see geothermal and wind solutions for pre-nuclear power, and outposts etc.

dragontamer5788
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dragontamer5788 »

opencircut74 wrote:

A patch of 200,000 Uranium Ore turns into 20,000 Uranium, probably about 140 U-235 and 19860 U-238 (random, but it'd be around here). That's enough to kickstart Kovarex and-then some. If you use Kovarex to achieve the ratio

If you get 850 U-235 (+710 from Kovarex), you'd have 17730 U-238 left over. It ain't a perfect ratio, but close enough. This is enough to make 8500 fuel cells of 8GJ of energy. Or... roughly the time to run 4-reactors @ 480MW full-out for 425000 seconds, or 118 hours. I think you can find and start using a new patch of Uranium within 118 hours, right? And my nearest "big patch" of Uranium was close to 500,000 in my game, so really, my first patch will last till the 200+ hour mark. I've also got some efficiency savings due to saving fuel by storing excess energy in tanks.

In any case, a small patch of Uranium leads to huge amounts of energy.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

I've just made some modular armor, and have the solar panels, but they take a while to juice things up, the fusion reactor is a ways off, and I can't plug in to the main grid.

However I do have a whole stack of these copper top batteries.
What about using batteries straight out of the chemical plant as consumables?
It would be a non-rechargeable instant electricity source.

Foerdifuxx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Foerdifuxx »

Unless the devs add some very energy consuming stuff any other forms of powerplants are pointless. At the moment nuclear power is just a gimmick to produce lots of energy for comparable little amount of effort. Nothing hinders you to use steam engines instead. Nuclear and steam are already interchangeable. Without nuclear power being a door opener to a new stage of the game we are fine with steam, solar and nuclear.
Newbie, just 100 hours of factorio

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This topic became too old and inherently off-topic, I'm locking it.

Return to “Development Proposals”