Electric energy

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
albatrosv13
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Electric energy

Post by albatrosv13 »

deleted
Last edited by albatrosv13 on Thu May 19, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopherboy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: FREQUENTLY SUGGESTED IDEAS

Post by Christopherboy »

What about a non-portable Fusion reactor for power it would use water and electrolyse it for hydrogen and oxygen meaning power from water.To balance this I think to craft it you will need like 100 alien artifacts.Also what would be nice would be the oxygen being produced reduces pollution! :D
I would love if this was implemented. :)

Christopherboy :P
Last edited by ssilk on Mon May 25, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved this post to this thread, because it was posted in "FREQUENTLY SUGGESTED IDEAS", which this is, yes, but this is not what that thread was thought for. :)

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

albatrosv13 wrote:Better solar and wind mills, that's what i'm asking for. Researchable upgrades for solar panels - 10% bonus(lvl 1) + 10% bonus(lvl 2) and so on. Or installing modules on those solar panels? Also, the solar production could be more like this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Germ ... 6-2012.png
That means maximum production for shorter time. The 0% production, of course, would be lengthier in time. Of course, that's real life'er, not gameplay wise stuff.
And last but not least - solar fluctuation + possibility to choose solar strength in the beginning of the game. That means, of course, some cpu usage, so... yeah... But I'm just brainstorming here.
Wind mills - again, start terrible, but researchable % upgrades. Very disliked by future flying aliens(idea :mrgreen: )
Upgradable accumulators?
Very easy to implement(especially the solar panel research) - also, must be late-mid/early-late game for considerable period of oil usage.

Hard to implement - Hydro power. Rivers needed. It would be cool, though - regional bonuses.

Congrats on doing the accumulator and oil stuff. Very nice additions.
Dytech Power. Wait for the upcoming update for small and large solar panels.

The devs could create something like the solar strength, although I don't see the benefit...

~ML
Very good at pressing buttons.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Definitely need those wind turbines. we already have wind in the game too.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

bobingabout wrote:Definitely need those wind turbines. we already have wind in the game too.
Yeah, but does it vary in speed?

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

MagicLegend wrote:Yeah, but does it vary in speed?
It does vary in direction, so the wind turbines could always produce power based on how close to perpendicular the wind is to the windmill direction.

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

UberWaffe wrote:
MagicLegend wrote:Yeah, but does it vary in speed?
It does vary in direction, so the wind turbines could always produce power based on how close to perpendicular the wind is to the windmill direction.
I know that. But, in the real world the turbines aren't fixed to a 90 degree angle.

I guess you could give a fixed amount of energy from them...

~ML

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

fairly sure it does vary, there are commands that can change the wind speed and direction.
I also have a Patreon.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

I do like the idea of wind energy, depending on wind direction and speed.
However, I think we should ask ourselves how wind energy would differ from solar energy + accumulators.
Of course, there is also wind during the night, so that is obvious. The question then is, why would I ever build solar panels anymore, if I can have green energy also during the night. Maybe effectiveness decreases when multiple generators are placed too close to each other? Maybe it is much less effective (then why would I ever build wind generators...).
I think that there should be clear advantages and disadvantages for using wind energy, without any of them making it obviously superior or inferior to solar energy.

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

I know a real disadvantage, I know that Dysoch is using the wind to determine where the capsule effects should be heading to, and he changes the wind speed every 5 seconds :)

It would totally break some stuff from Dytech :P

~ML

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

MagicLegend wrote:I know a real disadvantage, I know that Dysoch is using the wind to determine where the capsule effects should be heading to, and he changes the wind speed every 5 seconds :)

It would totally break some stuff from Dytech :P
I don't really think its helpful in the Development proposals to talk about how a change might affect a mod or mods, it is better to focus on the idea being talked about.

I think wind power would be super cool, of course it would have to be distinct in its operation from the solar panels, with different power distributions over time and with varying factors.

Maybe implementing some 'clouds' during the day time to affect solar power production would make the difference between solar and wind power more notable, and lead people to use both for their respective advantages.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Clouds might not be difficult to implement using chunk logic. Anyone who has been outside is familiar with the effects of major cloud formations on the ground. Often the light change is gradual as the cloud density increases towards the middle, but cumulonimbus clouds can make very sharp edges of light and dark. Rarely are multiple cloud types present, so you can have large blobs of gradual light/dark, or small chunks of severe light change. Clouds can also move slowly or quickly depending on the weather.

Full cloud cover doesn't completely block sunlight, but can hurt solar efficiency a lot. As it stands battery power is incredibly short lived, so it only takes one cloudy day to ruin a solar grid. A cloudy week can be a disaster if the player is not prepared.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

A mod changing the wind direction and speed once per 5 seconds is probably a poorly implemented mod. UNLESS this is to make the variation of the wind more realistic, due to the function being missing from base game.

if it was added in basegame, it should be removed from DyTech.
I also have a Patreon.

Goldern
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goldern »

So, what about electric poles without auto-connecting wires?
I mean, we do start with the copper wire recipe, and it would be very useful for some situations where lots of poles need to be nearby.

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

Well I just got this fun game, so here's my two cents.... :-)

Accumulators makes the game a LOT easier at night. yay!

Processing OIl to fuel and burning it for more effecient energy generation through steam engines is a great idea (yeah buildcraft is really nice).
Only do not want, if we HAVE to use a completely different engine setup; I wouldn't mind piping fuel to the burners, but having to replace all the steam engines AND the coal burners is very wasteful.
We have nothing to do with stone & steel furnaces later in the game and no way to break them down; I really dislike just leaving them in a chest setup for abandoned technology.

Wing generators is a good idea, because they'd work at night, as well as day and should be very cheap to build (just some iron & gears probably).

Clean nuclear is a good idea (heh IC2); however I don't want any radioactive waste crap poluting the game world.
If there is waste, there's gotta be methods to recycle or destroy it safely!

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

wwdragon wrote:Clean nuclear is a good idea (heh IC2); however I don't want any radioactive waste crap poluting the game world.
If there is waste, there's gotta be methods to recycle or destroy it safely!
Is there a way to recycle or destroy nuclear waste in the real world? No, at least not a good one. Since Factorio should be as realistic as possible, there should be no real way to get rid of the nuclear waste...

~ML

kronon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kronon »

There exists an option to get rid of radio active wast, just search for TerraPower or "MIT Develops Meltdown-Proof, Nuclear Waste-Eating Reactor".
The end product is less radio active then a lot of cities are at the moment (radio activity is all around us).

100% clean power.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There is no 100% clean nuclear power ever.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

ssilk wrote:There is no 100% clean nuclear power ever.
+1

Nuclear fusion tho.......

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

ssilk wrote:There is no 100% clean nuclear power ever.
Not now. But we must remember game is set up in cosmos era. There may be processes to get rid of nuclear waste in the future. (radiation "eating" fungi: http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/200704 ... _sys.shtml)

Return to “Development Proposals”