Electric energy

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Electric energy

Post by ficolas »

kovarex wrote:I don't really thing, that all entities should have access to electricity, (item on ground, smoke, explosion, mining particle ...)
I think that this is not necessary, just wait for the general LuaEntity to be implemented.
Not all entities having access to electricity, all entities having a configuration in the json file for electricity.

Ilnor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ilnor »

Oil & Nuclear pls
Do want.
http://www.twitch.tv/ilnor
I try to stream often ! Follow the stream to get e-mails when i go live

Tjakka5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tjakka5 »

A few more ideas:

Coal generator Uses coal to make energy, smaller as a boiler, but less efficient.

Magmatic Generator Uses Magma/Lava pumped from the ground to produce energy.

Ilnor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ilnor »

Coal generator Uses coal to make energy, smaller as a boiler, but less efficient.

Lol
This guy plays minecraft

Bro lava is OP in minecraft, No need to add it here too

MatLaPatate
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MatLaPatate »

Ilnor wrote:

Lol
This guy plays minecraft

Bro lava is OP in minecraft, No need to add it here too
Did you read some others post there ? It'll seem to you, that almost everyone there played or plays Minecraft. Just look at these guys suggesting diamonds u_u

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Yeah, sandbox lovers play sandbox games.

Ilnor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ilnor »

Didn't mean to come off rude

But coal / lava
Those are the first two ways to get power in industrial craft 2 in minecraft

And i have a really strong opinion against using lava in minecraft as a power source since it's so easily abused

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Ilnor wrote: And i have a really strong opinion against using lava in minecraft as a power source since it's so easily abused
Yes, whole IC2 and mods that follow the same "balancing" rules are so easily abused :P

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

But geotermal doesnt mean lava... geotermal energy irl doesnt use lava at all, the lava is underground, and the geotermal energy uses the temperature, not the lava.

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

ficolas wrote:geothermal energy uses the temperature, not the lava.
Spot on! Pumping up lava would yield...interesting results...

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Mysteria9 wrote:
ficolas wrote:geothermal energy uses the temperature, not the lava.
Spot on! Pumping up lava would yield...interesting results...
pumping lava is subrealist, the material the pipes are made out of will melt.

Grolleter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grolleter »

Xisuma wrote:Alternative power sources are needed! I think you have to balance there advantages and disadvantages but also make them fir into the technology tree well, then you cant go wrong!
This is more or less how I feel - I think three or four different means of producing electricity, each with advantages and disadvantages relative to all the others, would make for more interesting gameplay, even if it takes a while for the player to develop the tech necessary for some of them.

zetacross
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zetacross »

One other possible source of energy would be "What do I do with all these alien spheres?". If alien artifacts were to be made more renewable (such as from the Underground Mining Mod,

Then there could be a machine to convert those into energy, or well it could be an ingredient to produce fusion/fission power. This would give the player more incentives to attack enemy bases too.

gr0mpel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by gr0mpel »

with the newly added 3 types of electric poles, it would be interesting to
differ the amount of energy they can handle. i.e. the small electric pole can handle the smallest amount of energy.
that would be
a) more realistic and
b) make the energy-supply much more challenging as it wouldnt be as easy to build huge cap/solar/engine farms

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

gr0mpel wrote:with the newly added 3 types of electric poles, it would be interesting to
differ the amount of energy they can handle. i.e. the small electric pole can handle the smallest amount of energy.
that would be
a) more realistic and
b) make the energy-supply much more challenging as it wouldnt be as easy to build huge cap/solar/engine farms
We would love to have the energy generation and distribution more complex and realistic. This will happen eventually however there are tons of other things todo before that.

gr0mpel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by gr0mpel »

slpwnd wrote:
gr0mpel wrote:with the newly added 3 types of electric poles, it would be interesting to
that would be
a) more realistic and
We would love to have the energy generation and distribution more complex and realistic. This will happen eventually however there are tons of other things todo before that.
i am with you. integrating multiplayer and gui etc. must be awfull lot of work! keep on going :D

wsensor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wsensor »

I would love to see more energy types especially more uses for coal.
Being able to make a coal powered powerplant would be decent I was hoping there was a way through modding but currently I don't see any right now or if there is I am too stupid to realize it haha.

metzyn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by metzyn »

Blackmoor wrote:Don't forget about alien power source technology! Alien bases should be able to expand into "factories" like the players.

Then maybe the player could steal the alien technology when they drop their alien science packs.
I second this motion.
Factorio Modder
Solar Expansion

metzyn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by metzyn »

MF- wrote:
Ilnor wrote: And i have a really strong opinion against using lava in minecraft as a power source since it's so easily abused
Yes, whole IC2 and mods that follow the same "balancing" rules are so easily abused :P
Which specific balancing are you referring to? I know you made a comment on my mod that was influenced by IC2, but I attempted to take careful caution to truly balance it out... and a dev seemed to agree. Lava is so abundant and the geothermal generators of IC2 are so cheap -- that is unbalanced.
Factorio Modder
Solar Expansion

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

metzyn wrote: Which specific balancing are you referring to? I know you made a comment on my mod that was influenced by IC2, but I attempted to take careful caution to truly balance it out... and a dev seemed to agree. Lava is so abundant and the geothermal generators of IC2 are so cheap -- that is unbalanced.
I admit I haven't checked your mod. I already have enough regular panels and caps to cover my energy consumption.
I guess I don't like the technological concept of "Add 'HV' in front of something and repaint it to improve the production".
I prefer machines to stay plausible and feel realistic, criterion most of the MC or factorio mods don't fulfill.

PS: I am pretty sure something wrong happened to quotes in your post. I haven't said what is in my box.

Return to “Development Proposals”