Circuit network features for 0.15

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.

What circuit network features do you want to see in 0.15?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Sound box - send circuit signal to make a sound
4%
Train Station - read train contents - IMPLEMENTED
11%
Train Station - control trains by disabling/enabling the station - IMPLEMENTED
8%
Roboport: This roboport content
2%
Roboport - items needed for construction(to automatically supply broken outposts) 28325
5%
Radar - Wireless transmission of circuit signals
6%
Radar - Number of enemies nearby
4%
Assembling machine: enable/disable
4%
Assembling machine: set recipe
5%
Beacon - enable/disable
1%
Pump - read fluid flow.
3%
Rocket silo - read when silo is ready and has satellite. Launch rocket on condition. Add checkbox for autolaunch in gui.
5%
UI alert on condition
8%
More operations to the arithmetic combinator: % << >>. - IMPLEMENTED
2%
More options in the decider combinator: !=, >=, <= (makes sense for special signals) - IMPLEMENTED
3%
Logic combinator (AND OR NOT XOR, etc)
7%
Bit combinator 14454 - IMPLEMENTED as part of arithmetic combinator
1%
Selector combinator: MIN, MAX, ABS
2%
Timer combinator: delay a signal or send a pulse every X seconds
5%
Continuous wire building while running, somehow (?)
0%
New wire drawing: vectorial, primitives. Proper sorting order for wires on ground. Bonus: Wire dangling on pole hit, train pass, etc.
2%
More info on tooltips 14740
2%
Toggle mode and pulse mode for constant combinator
0%
Write proper wiki page/guide for circuit network and combinators
3%
Map signals to keyboard input. So you can easily control things using numpad for example
3%
Shift click to star-connect circuit wires. No shift to chain-connect (28096)
1%
Send fluid count to logistic network: (29940)
3%

Total votes: 3034

Bi0nicM4n
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Circuit network features for 0.15

Post by Bi0nicM4n »

I don't know if this has been posted there yet or not, but I really hope to see some improvement to setting inserter filters via circuit network. You see, when I set filters for inserter, I also expect it to pick items no more than needed, not determined exclusively by inserter stack bonus. Without that functionality I can't fill all the slots in my engineering train up to the max, i.e. I can't fill two filtered slots with 200 repair packs because when there are already 195 repair packs in the wagon and my inserter picks 7, it stops, unable to put those 2 repair packs anywhere, so it also stops filling the train with the rest of the items I want there. It's really strange this wasn't done already, considering the scheme for supply train unloading has been there for several months already, and it should also be used equally for loading the trains.

Nick-Nack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nick-Nack »

Bi0nicM4n wrote:I can't fill two filtered slots with 200 repair packs because when there are already 195 repair packs in the wagon and my inserter picks 7, it stops
Easy solution: Limit to 388 ;-)

RnDMonkey
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RnDMonkey »

Nick-Nack wrote:
Bi0nicM4n wrote:I can't fill two filtered slots with 200 repair packs because when there are already 195 repair packs in the wagon and my inserter picks 7, it stops
Easy solution: Limit to 388 ;-)
My preferred solution, and one that I think would be helpful in tons of situations in general, would be that whenever an inserter's filter is cleared or it is disabled by the circuit network, put any held item back down at its pickup location. This way, you'd hit the 200 limit, the filter would clear, then the inserter would put any leftovers back.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

how about being able to read production/satisfaction numbers?

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Get me a switch combinator, please.

* It works like a MANUAL switch.
* It works like 2 constant combinators.

Basically: The switch has 2 sets of constants (we call them green and red) and I can manually switch between them. It shows a green or red light on top, depending which set is active.

Usage: as a control switch. Allows me to control things by turning it on or off.

Bonus points for being able to name it.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

RnDMonkey wrote:My preferred solution, and one that I think would be helpful in tons of situations in general, would be that whenever an inserter's filter is cleared or it is disabled by the circuit network, put any held item back down at its pickup location. This way, you'd hit the 200 limit, the filter would clear, then the inserter would put any leftovers back.
I very nearly made this a suggestion but then I realised it's not a good solution for the simple reason that the source can fill up again before the excess is put back - then where does it go? Yes you could get around it with a small circuit but again we are then looking at workarounds for what is still a fundamental problem.

The solution needs to be that inserters do not pick up more than they need to.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Circuit network features for 0.14

Post by mrvn »

Mustacheion wrote:I would love to see roboports able to display the total number of robots of each type currently existing within the roboport network.
That already works. Connect a wire to a roboport, then open it and tell it to read the robot counts instead of the logistic network content. You can even select which count goes out as which special signal.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:
RnDMonkey wrote:My preferred solution, and one that I think would be helpful in tons of situations in general, would be that whenever an inserter's filter is cleared or it is disabled by the circuit network, put any held item back down at its pickup location. This way, you'd hit the 200 limit, the filter would clear, then the inserter would put any leftovers back.
I very nearly made this a suggestion but then I realised it's not a good solution for the simple reason that the source can fill up again before the excess is put back - then where does it go? Yes you could get around it with a small circuit but again we are then looking at workarounds for what is still a fundamental problem.

The solution needs to be that inserters do not pick up more than they need to.
Problem is that inserters pick up items even when the train is not there. So you have already picked up 7 iron plates but when the train arrives you only have space for 5 iron plates. I guess when no train is there the inserter should not pick up anything because it can not place anything on the rails directly. Similary when there is nothing at the detsination they should only pick up one thing.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

That is a separate problem IMO, you could probably put together some sort of hack linking signals to circuits so that inserters only work when the train is there but a circuit signal from the train station advising a train is parked would be good also so you can handle this manually.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Read furnace inventory (furnace_source) would be helpful.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Stack / Filter Inserter: set item filter and stack size (especially the latter is quite useful for smart furnace setups)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

vanatteveldt wrote:Stack / Filter Inserter: set item filter and stack size
There is a 1 constant combinator solution if you abuse integer overflow: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=35380

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

DaveMcW wrote:
There is a 1 constant combinator solution if you abuse integer overflow: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=35380
That's the best work around I've seen, but it's still only a work around only working when picking up from belts.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Optera wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:
That's the best work around I've seen, but it's still only a work around only working when picking up from belts.
But is pretty darn original :). Thanks for the link!

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Optera wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:
It's not new, it has been discussed many weeks ago already.

The problem with that solution is that it only works from belts, and not from buffer chests. Which, among other things, makes it unsuitable for smart furnaces that are fed from robot chests.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

nbp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by nbp »

For anybody who want to try this feature, I just published a mod which emulates this feature.
You can check it out at https://mods.factorio.com/mods/nbp/circuit-assembler

onebit
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by onebit »

A MIN() combinator would be awesome for train loading.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

An example of what would be possible with this feature:
https://youtu.be/cGfAFxHplnE

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Another idea: microchip: basically a mini-factory / modular armor type interface where you can add more combinators and that have a red+green input and a red+green output. Optionally make them have 'connectors' at the side where if you place two microchips side by side the red+green side output of A is automatically connected to the red+green side input of B and vice versa. This will make it a lot easier to organize / share / copy interesting contraptions without having your whole factory filled by combinators, while the input/output restrictions mean that more complex setups still require enough puzzling.

Edit: another quality-of-life issue would be labeling combinators, the whole combinator and/or the input/output. From looking at belts, inserters etc. you get a decent idea of what they do, but inpecting combinators is quite annoying...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Oh the poll is closed and there are some updates on what's already implemented... now I'm quite curious how many additional of these suggestions will make it to the game with 0.15/0.16 (because I don't expect there to be another poll for 0.16 respectively :P)

Currently 1 implemented of the 5 I picked... but then again I voted for lesser demanded things on purpose to encourage them instead.

Too bad that setting the Inserter Stack Size bonus with the Circuit Network signal isn't on the list... because that would have been one of my priorities actually.

Return to “Development Proposals”