[Polls Closed] Creepers in the demo

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.

What should happen with the creepers in the 3rd level of the demo ?

Remove them. They are just frustrating.
4%
Keep them as they are. They are fun.
42%
Keep them but reduce the attacks.
22%
Introduce 2 difficulties. One with creepers and one without.
31%

Total votes: 161

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Polls] Creepers in the demo

Post by MF- »

Hanse00 wrote:After having played a bit I started finding the creepers fairly easy too, but the first time I just got plain murdered.

Then again, a challenge isn't bad. Way too many games seem to be made easier not to accidentally thread on the players toes or something.
I want the game to try to smash a hammer in my foot, but thanks to skills I'll eventually be able to dodge it.
I like that approach.

orbito
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by orbito »

Do Creepers slowly gain in strength, defense and agility as the game progresses? Creepers are challenging at first, but way too easy once you have a comfortable setup. Progressive strength, numbers and enemy types would be a good addition to the mix.

Hanse00
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hanse00 »

The number of creepers per wave increases for each one I believe.
Creepers are still the same though.

Dylems
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dylems »

"Keep them as they are. They are fun."

The beginner has to make a turret and put it near his radars, it's part of the tutorial. Then it's easy to contain the waves

Lelouch Vi Britannia orders you...

Vatticson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vatticson »

Hi!!!

I just think creepers shouldn´t be removed. The first campaign mission has a point because your objective is to get an item secured by enemies. If you remove them... baad thing : p

I think that 3rd tutorial mission was a little annoying because there´s no clear indicator of the creepers attacking your buildings (they destroyed my 3 radars once like ninjas little afeter i´ve defeated them, wth! :lol: )

Building is awesome but i need some pressure to fullfill my satisfaction, sir!

Grolleter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grolleter »

I personally liked the frequency of creeper attacks in the radar level ... but then, I was able to figure out that building turret defenses was important, and I usually like my games to have some challenge to them. I voted for "keep the creepers but reduce their numbers" on the theory that for people who are just getting into the game, it might be best if the creeper attacks are frequent enough that they have to figure out how to deal with them but infrequent enough that dealing with them isn't a major difficulty. If they were entirely eliminated, then I don't think the player would really be getting a feel for what the game can be like, but a reduction in the frequency might help ease a new player into the habit and ability of keeping a factory protected.

This reasoning only applies to the demo, of course. If a player is interested enough to get the full version, then don't make the creeper attacks trivial unless the player specifically chooses to reduce the difficulty.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Thank you all for your feedback. We have slightly lowered the creeper attack rate for the demo. As for the freeplay there will be different difficulty settings in the future that will influence the creeper attacking rate and style in the future.

arquesmartin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by arquesmartin »

That's a good decision. In the begging the waves are quite funny, dozens of creepers - but then they become very annoying. Really, I have to spent each "day" on killing them. It's not fun. Maybe you should add some diversity, give them some weapon, create some species of creepers?

Synit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Synit »

I just played the demo and now bought access to the full game, and i can honestly say so far it is fun. If you were to change anything about the demo then it should maybe be delaying the attacks for quite a bit more, i found that i was almost overwhelmed by the creatures before i even got the whole base up and running. Not to say it wasn't fun, but it was challenging.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

idea:

start the demo along with a line 'I found a old outpust with some basic defence I should settle near that and research way to build more'

then give a turret with some wall - it will fend off the first waves and the player will notice that the diminishing turret effectiveness in stopping the ever larger creeper numbers and learn in time which turret/creeper ratio to keep

rsdworker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rsdworker »

i played demo yesterday i found its was hard when there was enemies near
so i suggest that tutorial shouldn't have creepers in - only 3rd tutorial would do

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The "problem" about the creeper is in my opinion just the surprise effect. More then once i thought "WTF?!?! heart attack!"
I don't think removing the creeper is a good idea. No creepers in the first mission and then more than enough in the fourth mission? Pretty high increase in difficulty.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

You guys (and/or girls) who have posted here recently do realize that this was decided on back on Apr 20th (7 months ago) right? That this was back when the enemies actually were called 'creepers' and not 'biters'? Also I think the demo campaign is about to be changed in 0.8.0.
slpwnd wrote:Thank you all for your feedback. We have slightly lowered the creeper attack rate for the demo. As for the freeplay there will be different difficulty settings in the future that will influence the creeper attacking rate and style in the future.
@devs, perhaps this topic should be locked. and the title changed to reflect the original version (in case you need to open a new one in the future with a similar name)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Polls Closed] Creepers in the demo

Post by slpwnd »

I changed the name to mark that the polls are closed. I am a bit reluctant to lock the topic because if someone has a relevant comment he can still post it.

Pappus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Polls Closed] Creepers in the demo

Post by Pappus »

This might be old in fact I never heard of the demo, but because it is the demo you want to showcase the threat aswell. It could be as simple as: Survive 5 minutes at the end of a mission (where in reality the player only has to run away).

Return to “Development Proposals”