Hidden ores

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Hidden ores

Post by andzoak »

If we want to made advanced laser turrets and laser rifles, then we need some material which is really used to manufacturing of laser devices e.g. ruby.

It is more innovative than common diamonds ;) We can do CO2 lassers - then we need facilities which collects it from the air. And the most used in rapid prototyping and manufacturing: quartz - from it is made fiber laser. These materials are more: real. Innovative cold be that we don't use more rare materials only more advanced technology.

Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ardagan »

I'd say that it may be changed to something like: we should mine resources from chemical table. All the rest should be possible to produce.
Coal and diamonds are the same chemical element, but processed differently.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Ardagan wrote:I'd say that it may be changed to something like: we should mine resources from chemical table. All the rest should be possible to produce.
Coal and diamonds are the same chemical element, but processed differently.
currently working on the chemical table (or metallurgy if you want to call it that)

will be one of the main features of DyTech v2 (this will be released shortly before, or after Factorio 0.9 update)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

crash
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by crash »

i think low level tech you could walk around and hold a metal detector which pings when above metal and a spade to excavate the dirt to reveal the goodness beneath
later you could modify a car to carry to carry the detector and a data logger computer to mark the places on the map
a JCB digger type vehicle could more effectively be used to excavate the ground and a sub scanner compass could give you a rough direction to the nearest mineral deposit

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

Hanse00 wrote:Discovered as in synthetically made in a lab, it's stable for much less than a second where after is breaks down, ...
The chance of finding a "new" element in nature, on this or any other planet, is small, very very very small.
Island of stability. <-- Interesting read on the subject, especially the references.
We're getting closer to finding a predicted long-lived, super-heavy element. It may just be a matter of time.
Sounds like a good idea to be able to actually mine underground at one point in the game
^This would be awesome! I'd love to build a subterranean factory, Dungeon Keeper style! :D

Zero_Berz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zero_Berz »

Hi guys. Some points on uderground mining

<IMHO>
1) No, we don`t need imaginary ores. Mb adamantium is ok, but then we need Chainswords, God-emperor, Space marines, and some Horus heresy to start industry. :D

2) uranium is very ok as underground ore. And 2 technological metods. Normal mining and ISL (like oil. We allready have much needed sulphuric asid).
and we need radiation to damage player.(and rad suit too)
2a)Atomic industry will be needed. It`s highly strange to power laser turrets and other high tech things with coal-powered steam engines.
2b)Titanium for lightweight machinery and tungsten for durable drills.
3) There is haven and hearth game with good underground mining. (5 layers. You build minehole to go down 1 level, then build another to go down again. Each layer is a map with pregenerated ore deposits. Deeper layers have more valuable ore Unsupported mining -> cave-ins.
4) We need lot`s of tech for underground mining like mechanized drills and so.

But the REAL need to make underground mining like in dwarf fortress eludes me. Mining through placing drill\pump building is ok enough

5) It would be good to separate. Standard ores and minerals (ore, copper coal +tin will be good)
and deep mined ones (gold,tungsten, uranium, titanium,) for improving effectivness of low-mid tech and for making high-tech things
</IMHO>

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Zero_Berz wrote:2a)Atomic industry will be needed. It`s highly strange to power laser turrets and other high tech things with coal-powered steam engines.
Huh, even with nuclear plants available to us a large chunk of world's energy comes from steam engines. It's the most cost-effective method.

If you don't live in France or something, chances are your PC runs on coal, as weird as that is.

Zero_Berz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zero_Berz »

Drury wrote:
Zero_Berz wrote:2a)Atomic industry will be needed. It`s highly strange to power laser turrets and other high tech things with coal-powered steam engines.
Huh, even with nuclear plants available to us a large chunk of world's energy comes from steam engines. It's the most cost-effective method.

If you don't live in France or something, chances are your PC runs on coal, as weird as that is.

I`m from Russia. So my pc is running on oil\gas\uranium... Lol no, it`s running on VODKA!!! :D =)

P.S. Nuclear plants are in fact steam engines too. just using heat, generated by nuclear reaction to make steam.... It makes me sad a bit Splitting atoms just to make water boil :geek:

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

To be honest, I don't know if the addition of coal, copper, iron or stone as hidden ores would add anything to the game. If anything, it would be cool if ores like uranium could only be mined by a giant structure (like oilpumps). The technology would be tier 3 or 4 so that it can't be mined in the beginning. A nice touch would be that these giant minestructures have to be builded in two stages. Firs you put the mine on a orefield like you would put a oilpump on a oilfield. Than the first building would need a lot of resources to "finish" construction. So the mine would need resources to create a second building that will replace it. That second building would than be the one that produces the ore in the minefield.

Zero_Berz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zero_Berz »

high-tier mining can be made this way:

-Tech for making good enough alloy.
-new type of mine (i.e. Deep mine)
-new type of crafable item (drill of different tiers with durability) It can be used like coal. Put one, it will work some time, and then disappear (wear-off)
-new ore, with oil-like mechanics. (spot for deep mine) This can be invisible whithout proper gear.
-new gear (detectors) to locate spots

Simple way without too much coding and design. An it will be ok enough.

saykhia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by saykhia »

Just throwing something into the mix here.

What about hidden ores that do not appear in every game? Which then dictates the tech tree that can be accessed that game?

For example, Tech Branch A requires Ore A, Tech Branch B requires Ore B but only either Ore A or Ore B will appear each game (rarely both).

This makes exploration mandatory after a certain tech level.

Perhaps these techs are high-level techs, maybe tier 3 or 4.

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

saykhia wrote:Just throwing something into the mix here.

What about hidden ores that do not appear in every game? Which then dictates the tech tree that can be accessed that game?

For example, Tech Branch A requires Ore A, Tech Branch B requires Ore B but only either Ore A or Ore B will appear each game (rarely both).

This makes exploration mandatory after a certain tech level.

Perhaps these techs are high-level techs, maybe tier 3 or 4.
This would add to the replayabillity, but would result in loss of depth if techs where to be left out. Making some ores really scarse in placement would add to the exploration of the game. So I do like the idea of making high tech resources really scarse.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I can think of something, which is available only at very far distances and distincted. Resource A is found only near water, while resource B is found only in desserts. Or low vs. high temperatures. Or something else

And between them is 2000 tiles or more. (2000 tiles needs about one-two minutes driving in one direction)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

The biome specific resources would only make sense if it was possible to make really big biomes, so that you would actually need to travel distance in order to find them.

As it stands, it's still possible to discover a lot of biomes by foot while trying to secure your starting base, so it would b possible that all the resources are found near your start.

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

ssilk wrote:I can think of something, which is available only at very far distances and distincted. Resource A is found only near water, while resource B is found only in desserts. Or low vs. high temperatures. Or something else

And between them is 2000 tiles or more. (2000 tiles needs about one-two minutes driving in one direction)
This could work to make the player roam a little bit more. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, you can look at this to get a feeling, how this behaves:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 8&start=10 (and the former page with some pics).

I think it is a nice direction and it shifts the dimensions from this tiny little tutorial levels into amounts I knew only from some epic games. And that is just the upper left corner of the limits, which can be opened, when it would be possible to spread much faster into some direction. This is the reason, why I'm currently thinking about the logistic, which is needed to do that fast ( https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3072 )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

If you add more resources, I would appreciate a system to manage the resources more dynamically. E.g. give attributes to the resources, and the recepies require attributes of the ingredients. So that any resource can always be replaced by a better one in that recipe. I can remember playing one of those MMO games where you were required to use one special kind of coal to melt the ore. I couln't use the one I already had even though it was a more expensive one. I want to be able to use steel everywhere instead of iron, let me decide weather it is a waste of resources or not.

Eg:
let's say pickax requires 5 metal and the hardness of that metal defines the strength of tool. So that I can build one out of any material that is later added to the game. If I want to even plutonium.

maddok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by maddok »

tungsten should be an ore it has the most mass per mm so could be used to make stuff with more durability. :)

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

krux02 wrote:So that any resource can always be replaced by a better one in that recipe.
This would actually be rather nice (though it's not 'hidden' ore specific), and would probably reduce the need for a few recipes (especially for recipes like the DyTech mod adds), I could see the alien artifacts be nice modifiers as well (adding different (mod definable) effects based on what the item is of course).
Note: I mentioned mods a lot because that's mostly what I work with, that and right now mods are the only things actually adding new ores :)

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

It would be nice if some rarer materials could be obtained from the current ores which would have to go through some processing to get these rarer materials separated.

One thing I do agree on is that currently, electric drill is as far as the mining technology can get and thus shold be improved.

Return to “Development Proposals”