Is there a mod for one-life-only mode?

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Is there a mod for one-life-only mode?

Post by freeafrica »

I'm looking for a mod which does something similar like:
* disables game save/load and only allows continue
* displays a "You've lost" message if you die and deletes that game (so you can't continue)

I'm also open for ideas, if this is possible to do w/ a mod, maybe I get my hands dirty to build one like that.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is there a mod for one-life-only mode?

Post by darkfrei »

1. Go to game settings, change the autosave to never. Don't save the game manually.
2. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/NewGamePlus

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

freeafrica wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:17 am
* displays a "You've lost" message if you die and deletes that game (so you can't continue)

I'm also open for ideas, if this is possible to do w/ a mod, maybe I get my hands dirty to build one like that.
I recently broached this in a recent modding discussion. My intentions were different, but I also included DID (Dead is Dead) style gameplay as a use example. As already mentioned, we can only disable autosaves, and refrain from manually saving. It does not appear to be possible to make a mod that achieves this.

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

Squelch wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:48 am
freeafrica wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:17 am

I recently broached this in a recent modding discussion. My intentions were different, but I also included DID (Dead is Dead) style gameplay as a use example. As already mentioned, we can only disable autosaves, and refrain from manually saving. It does not appear to be possible to make a mod that achieves this.
Thanks for your input, I really appriciate you taking time for answering!

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

freeafrica wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 am
Thanks for your input, I really appriciate you taking time for answering!
You're welcome, and likewise, thank you for confirming my assessment that this type of gameplay is desired.

Whilst it is not my preferred style of gameplay, I am cognizant and respectful that, like yourself, players do seek the added challenge of completing certain goals all within the same play session on a game without a save to fall back on.

I remain hopeful that a method of suppressing saves for a game session via the API in the same manner as disabling autosaves will come to light eventually.

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”