Any mods that make for alternate win conditions?

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
debriscolomun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Any mods that make for alternate win conditions?

Post by debriscolomun »

Hi,

I know there are the different scenarios built into the game already, but they generally don't allow you to play the full game just with an alternate win condition.

I was curious if anyone was aware of a mod that recreates the 'Supply Challenge' scenario. In other words, you have to deliver X amount of Y material(s) to win the game but without the timed portion.

It'd be intriguing to have a variable amount and a random item or items required, generated at map creation.

Thanks in advance!

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Any mods that make for alternate win conditions?

Post by Honktown »

There's a mod to extend the timer for the normal timed supply, but that scenario is fixed. "More time to do supply challenge".

Frontier extended is a scenario (on a largely fixed map) where you have to go out and 'find' the silo before you can launch a rocket. (map is a fixed rectangle and you have to go through walls of biters - in the one direction that's not out-of-map or a death zone).

"Super Late Game" was a science-based "supply" mod that was deprecated. The project page lists it as MIT though, so it shouldn't be hard to port (someone even reported a bug with it, and posted the fix).

I can start writing some stuff for the "more time to do supply challenge" because it's covered by the "Unlicense". I've been wanting to make a library for giving out loot that can be configured to different options/scaling - and ironically this would be a very practical use for it, since a supply request is basically reverse-loot.

Warptorio 2 requires upgrading the moving 'ship' you have (completing researches) to get more room to build before you're shuffled off somewhere else (the ship/build floors are persistent, the rest of the map isn't). There's another mod which adds missions you have to run off and complete to get the research unlocked. Not a different win condition, firing a rocket, but the game mode is very different (I only tried Warptorio2 and the expansion, got to a slow point and stopped playing). There's a few mods inspired by Warptorio, normally ending in "torio".

Haven't seen many wave defense style mods. If you have any ideas for a different win scenario, I'd like to hear them. Frontier Extended could be ported to a random map, and add some method of hinting to the player the direction one needs to go for a rocket / other necessary thing(s).
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Plawerth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Plawerth »

If you are playing on the experimental build branch, you can find a number of very popular game scenarios with extremely different goals from the regular game.

Comfy Factorio is a heavily cat themed gaming community. Although launching fish is a joke in regular Factorio, that is actually the goal of Comfy Fish Defender.

Forget satellites, to win Fish Defender you need to launch fish on rockets to save them from the biters, which are attacking in waves over and over, trying to destroy the market and eat the fish inside. (The number of fish to be rescued can be customized.)

A custom scenario GUI in the top left corner of the screen tracks your progress as you rescue the fish.

Fish Defender is entirely programmed as a scenario of the vanilla game. It is a "soft mod" and does not use external mods to work its magic.

It is similar to how Spigot / Sponge plugins work on Minecraft, such as Towny, CoreProtect, or GriefPrevention, which can be used with the vanilla Minecraft client without needing to install custom mods.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Plawerth wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm
If you are playing on the experimental build branch, you can find a number of very popular game scenarios with extremely different goals from the regular game.

Comfy Factorio is a heavily cat themed gaming community. Although launching fish is a joke in regular Factorio, that is actually the goal of Comfy Fish Defender.

Forget satellites, to win Fish Defender you need to launch fish on rockets to save them from the biters, which are attacking in waves over and over, trying to destroy the market and eat the fish inside. (The number of fish to be rescued can be customized.)

A custom scenario GUI in the top left corner of the screen tracks your progress as you rescue the fish.

Fish Defender is entirely programmed as a scenario of the vanilla game. It is a "soft mod" and does not use external mods to work its magic.

It is similar to how Spigot / Sponge plugins work on Minecraft, such as Towny, CoreProtect, or GriefPrevention, which can be used with the vanilla Minecraft client without needing to install custom mods.
Worth mentioning comfyfactorio has to be downloaded from github, and is a scenario, not a "mod" in itself.

I've been going through the comfyfactorio scenarios, single player. I like some of the maps (scrapyard is neat, labyrinth is interesting). There is a conflict with other mods that change bonuses (and technically, vanilla itself, though comfyfactorio will probably boost you higher than vanilla bonuses). Sadly there's no supply scenario I saw. All of the maps are designed around launching a rocket but differently, or surviving, and the difficulty is sometimes balanced towards multiple players (especially the more wave defense modes, and obviously pvp scenarios). There was a cool one where you had to make your way through a scrapyard with a train while the surface crumbles away ominously towards you, but I literally couldn't dig through the scrap fast enough ; ( . It is released into the public domain and is well organized, so changing things is usually easy. I modded it a little so the bonuses from other mods are respected (works with almost all the maps and my mods), but mewmew is wary of adding it officially.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”