Research for alternative/more efficient recipes

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Kythblood
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Research for alternative/more efficient recipes

Post by Kythblood »

Hey,
I am looking for a mod that adds research that let's you unlock alternate recipes for an item or making an existing recipe more efficient.

I always had the feeling like my 45 science base was enough for me to finish the game and I never had a practical reason go any bigger. So I tried to tweak the research cost multiplier but wasn't satisfied with the result.

Shouldn't one of the main goals of research besides unlocking new things be to optimize a production process, meaning unlocking a better recipe for the product?

So what if you had really hard (inefficient) recipes when you start out the game, but as you progress you can can research new recipes that decrease the cost and/or increase the number of end products you receive from a recipe. Of course, the cost of late game research would have to be increased as well to balance the game.

It would motivate you to increase your research production as your progress in the game and give you a good reason to change certain parts of your production to fit the new recipes. No more building a production chain once and have it remain the same for the next few hundred hours of your game until you decide to build a mega base for no reason other then to reach those 1k, 5k, 10k etc ... science goals which will give you more research then you will ever need.

I was looking for a mod that would do something similar and was surprise that I found non. Is there a problem with implementing and replacing recipes that I am not aware of or have I just overlooked a mod?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Research for alternative/more efficient recipes

Post by Deadlock989 »

Already exists. Productivity modules. Requires research and multiple overheads. Results in more efficient production from the same resource investment.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Sounds like he's looking for more than that though...

I suggest dipping the toes first in Bob's Mods (new steel recipe?).
Then trying the real deal with Angel's Mods (pretty much all the smelting for tons of various metals derived mostly from Bob's ores).
Then maybe Pyanodon's Mods (similar concept, but warning, extreme efficiency improvements and recipe complexity !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Kythblood wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:50 am
I was looking for a mod that would do something similar and was surprise that I found non. Is there a problem with implementing and replacing recipes that I am not aware of or have I just overlooked a mod?
There's no typical example that came to my mind about a mod that would do what you describe with only vanilla items. Maybe because the beacons/modules already sort of imply a redesign for larger scale when you use them extensively.

Many of the overall mods adds new buildings/item/receipe , extend the production chain with intermediate steps.

Like those mentioned above that are replacing vanilla receipes rather than adding their own at the end or in parallel would end up in a similar experience.

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”