Looking for content adding mods without tiers grind

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Looking for content adding mods without tiers grind

Post by wvlad »

In my opinion, Bob, angel, FactorioExtended mods just add more repetitive stuff but nothing really new to the gameplay. What's the point to go from MK5 to MK6? It's the same, just has better stats but doesn't provide me with any new possibilities. I'm looking for big content adding mods that really add new stuff with new mechanics, not just extra tiers for existing things.
Cargoships, Aircraft are good examples.

T__C
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Looking for content adding mods without tiers grind

Post by T__C »

wvlad,

I have the same question. Would you mind sharing your notes about which mods, in your opinion, add interesting new stuff and new mechanics?

I played through an earlier version of the game with Logistic Train Network and Bob's Adjustable Inserters. Ostensibly, those mods just make it easier to use things which are already in the game (trains and inserters). However, they do so in a way that opens up new mechanics, so I recommend them.

To see if I might like playing with Angel's mods, I just started a 0.17 game with Angel's Refining and Angel's Petrochemical Processing. On one hand, those mods add new processing steps like ore crushing and sorting, and those new steps make the game feel different and new. On the other hand, the Angel's mods replace iron and copper ores with several bogus fantasy ores, and that's a turn off for me, so on balance I'd say I give no recommendation for those Angel's mods.

Please let me know if you've found any mods you like.

-TC

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

As I already said - Cargoships, Aircraft - add mechanics to travel through sea and air.
May be some teleportation mods - not all of them cheaty, you may need a lot of electricity for them.
Rampant adds new enemy types with different attacks and resistance, also more complex AI.
MIRV - launch rockets and use them for orbital strikes,
Alien Biomes - a lot of different biomes with their own graphics, it's going to be ready for 0.17 soon,
RobotArmy - adds robots which can automatically fight with biters,
AAI - programmable vehicles,

Just mechanics:
recursive-blueprints - place blueprints from circular network,

In 0.16:
Mining-Space-Industries - adds quest line and bosses,
Orbital Ion Cannon - similar to MIRV

They're all I know at this time.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

wvlad wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 am
In my opinion, [...] angel [...] just add more repetitive stuff but nothing really new to the gameplay. [...] I'm looking for big content adding mods that really add new stuff with new mechanics, not just extra tiers for existing things.
lolwhat ?
(You want to might try Py too, though it's still pretty rough, and even harder than Angel.)
T__C wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51 pm
On the other hand, the Angel's mods replace iron and copper ores with several bogus fantasy ores, and that's a turn off for me, so on balance I'd say I give no recommendation for those Angel's mods.
AFAIK, you can also play Angel's mods without Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates - this will remove the new Angel's ores, reverting to extracting vanilla ores.
(Not sure if Bob's Ores will still be used in the processing chain though?)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

T__C
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by T__C »

wvlad,

Thank you for the suggestions. In particular, I like the sound of Robot Army and Recursive Blueprints. I'll try them when I can.

I've been exploring Logistic Carts today. I like it so far.

-TC

T__C
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by T__C »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:49 pm
T__C wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51 pm
On the other hand, the Angel's mods replace iron and copper ores with several bogus fantasy ores, and that's a turn off for me, so on balance I'd say I give no recommendation for those Angel's mods.
AFAIK, you can also play Angel's mods without Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates - this will remove the new Angel's ores, reverting to extracting vanilla ores.
(Not sure if Bob's Ores will still be used in the processing chain though?)
BlueTemplar,

I found a discussion here about how to remove the fantasy ores from a modded game. However, I'm not comfortable messing with lua files, so I'm going to stay away from that.

I saw a post referring to tin and gold. I'd be interested in a mod which adds those, or which adds other non-fantasy ores and recipes.

-TC

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

That would be Bob's Ores.
EDIT : Pyanodon's mods also adds "realistic" ores like that, it used to depend on Bob's Ores...

Have you tried doing what I've suggested? There might be no need for you to touch any .lua files...

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

I tried and no, the fantasy ores are still there even without bobores and bobplates. I would also like to use only AngelsSmelting without the refining and petrochem but it's a strong dependency.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hmm...
Angel's Refining description states :
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=24906
Description:
Replaces all ores patches with new once which you have to refine prior to smelting. All the ores (from base/bobs/YI) will be replaced by 6 new ores (saphirite, stiratite, crotinnium, jivolite, rubyte, bobmonium) and a patch resource(fissure), from which you have to refine the individual mods ores. There are 3 different modes currently: Vanilla, Bobs and Angels.
  • With vanilla there are 4 ores plus coal, better refining will increase yield for iron and copper.
  • With bobs-plates there are 6 ores plus coal, better refining will yield different ores and give you options to fine tune ore processing to your needs.
  • With angels-industries there are 6 ores plus coal, better refining will yield different ores and give you options to fine tune ore processing to your needs.
I don't understand what Angels Industries has to do with that though, as they provide new bots and vehicles !

You might want to search / ask on Angel's mods forums...

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”