Is there a "big splitter mod" to finally solve the problem?

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Is there a "big splitter mod" to finally solve the problem?

Post by Dragony »

Hi,

since I lost my confidence that the devs are implementing some more advanced splitter, I wonder if there is a mod available for the bothersome and omipresent belt-balancing issue.

In a steady growing base, my number of belts are growing as well, and especially my metal-plate and copper-plate bus always suffer the problem that I usually have something like 5 blue belts (100% filled) delivering copper plates, 7 belts needing copper plates (demand rate between 80-100%). And this is growing and changing all the time.

So basically I need a super splitter, which is expandable (like a wall), where I can input an arbitrary number of belts and output an arbitrary number of belts. And when the math is that the output-belts are requesting 1000 plates per second while my input-belts are delivering 1050 plates per second, then all requesting belts have to be full to the brim.

Right now its just a pain in the ass. When I have a 7-to-5 system, I have to build a ridiculously big splitting-system, just to deconstruct it again when I expand the system after some hours. While this is funny the first few times, it gets bothersome after the 5th time.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is there a "big splitter mod" to finally solve the problem?

Post by eradicator »

There's several splitter mods, the best fitting your description probably being https://mods.factorio.com/mod/compoundsplitters but that type of mod can never have good performance. If you're only worried about full belts and not perfect splitting you're better off with a variable chest + loaders. Or you learn2use vanilla priority splitters, those are pretty powerful when used correctly.

Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dragony »

I think the merging chests mod can work. Is there also a mod where I can put a blue belt into a chest without using a robot arm? Without this, I would need several green arms for one blue belt.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Any type of loader will do that.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Alternatively use trains and smart design to build something that doesn't need huge balancers. eg like this 32 blue belt unload station.
32BeltUnload.jpg
32BeltUnload.jpg (869.49 KiB) Viewed 3042 times

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Dragony wrote:I think the merging chests mod can work. Is there also a mod where I can put a blue belt into a chest without using a robot arm? Without this, I would need several green arms for one blue belt.
Like loaders?

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”