[MOD 0.12.x] Treefarm REDUX (DISCONTINUED)

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Treefarm REDUX

Post by Koub »

Afforess wrote:
Blu3wolf wrote: Unfortunately, the CC-BY-NC-ND license TreeFarm is released under prohibits sharing a modified version of it, so I cant just give you a working version.
Ouch, I didn't realize that was the license for this mod. That sucks. TreeFarm dies with the author then. Licenses matter.
Hi,
I'm by no means an expert of licensing stuff, but I have read the definition of the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0, and all the examples linked from this page, and the two parts I have put in red seem contradictory :

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

From the example here : https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/B ... d_slightly
It seems possible to modify "slightly" without breaking the license rules. What is the limit of slightly ? Honestly, I don't know. Is a search and replace because of a change in the game's API syntax a "slight" change, or a "derivative work" ?

Can someone who has a great understanding of the licensing things give us his insight ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

An adaptation is a work based on one or more pre-existing works. What constitutes an adaptation depends on applicable law, however translating a work from one language to another or creating a film version of a novel are generally considered adaptations.

In order for an adaptation to be protected by copyright, most national laws require the creator of the adaptation to add original expression to the pre-existing work.
Taken at face value, as long as zero creativity is involved, it is not a derivative work.
This would be subject to interpretation of wherever the case would be heard however, as some countries are much more inclusive than others in what constitutes adding original expression.
In general, I would say that *only* updating a mod to maintain it's exact functions, as originally released, would not infringe.
If such functions cannot be maintained without losing the original functions, or other functions added, then it would be an infringing use to release the updated work.

Those points aside, I would argue that distributing a file diff also would not infringe, so long as the modified file was only used privately, as private-use adaptations generally don't fall under the ND right either.

In either case, I think this is going to require a dev to make a ruling on how strictly they want the ND right treated here, due to the different interpretations applied internationally.
(Of what I've read, the EU is generally a little less strict about ND than the US.)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

The attribution portion of the license mentions the requirements for making changes, because most CC licenses allow you to modify the work (in fact, so does this one) and also to distribute that modified work (this one does not).

While a lawyer may be able to bend the law in court, moreso depending on which country they are in, I am not a lawyer. The license prohibits distribution of a derivative work (which an update is), so I am choosing not to share the updated version I have.

I havent actually done anything with it yet, other than load into a game successfully. It is quite possible that if it depends on other calls, it may not work anyway. The extent of my testing of it so far was to see if I could launch factorio and start a new game (which I could). Its really secondary to what I was doing, as I was working on a mod concept which would depend on TreeFarm being installed - so I needed Treefarm to not stop Factorio from running. I probably dont need it to actually work, to test my mod concept. Just being installed should be sufficient for now.

It should be noted that CC licenses are discourage from being used for software, by Creative Commons. Its primarily intended for other works. The GPL is an example of a license that is designed for software, but they do not have a version which is like the CC-BY-NC-ND, because they are committed to software which users are free to modify as they need.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Hey folks, long time no see.
I'm sure I own you this

I apologize for my abrupt disappearance. I have no good reasons why I did it, honestly I don't have any at all. But I cant change it anymore.

I also want thank everyone for the support, the feedback and critics over the last couple of years.

But let's get to (the most important) official stuff:

I hereby declare the mod free4all. Do whatever you want to do with the mod whenever and whereever.

Again, I'm sorry for the last few month...

P.S. If there are any successors or updated versions of this mod, I would be more than happy to put links to them in the OP.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Treefarm REDUX (DISCONTINUED)

Post by Afforess »

You can't actually declare a license to be free for all, but Creative Commons has a license that is close, "Public Domain Dedication"

https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Maybe change the original post to reflect that?

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Well, you can, and a WTFPL does just that. This is a lot more vague than even a WTFPL though, so it wouldnt hurt to improve it.

saying you can do whatever you want with the mod, whenever and wherever, is the opposite of a lack of license (i.e., ARR). In any event its good enough for me.

Under the terms posted above (doing whatever you want with it) I am publishing a very slightly modified Treefarm Lite and Treefarm AC, which have had their game events changed to script events, to match changes in Factorio since 0.12.11. I am releasing this content under the GPLv2 - although do note that this does not in any way affect your ability to do whatever you want with the original treefarm mods posted by drs9999 above.

Hope these come in handy for someone.

EDIT: see below
Last edited by Blu3wolf on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

So I goofed writing the info.json file for the files in the above post. Oops. These should work better.
Attachments
Treefarm-AC_0.2.3.zip
(5.6 MiB) Downloaded 810 times
Treefarm-Lite_0.2.2.zip
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 744 times

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

The Treefarm Lite linked above is deprecated; new version is up here: https://github.com/Blu3wolf/Treefarm-Lite/releases

Ill just be updating new versions in the thread here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 44&t=19124 rather than making additional posts in this thread.

PST
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PST »

This mod imho has always been one of the very best mods for factorio ever made.

It's really sad that DRS has stopped working on it.

But there's no need in saying "sorry", DRS :) You didn't owe anybody to keep working on it, you never had to put time into this and everything you've done here for the community is highly appreciated, trust me! So thank you once again for the mod you've made and i hope you'll do at least as good in real life as you've done here on forums.

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”