[MOD 0.12.x] Treefarm REDUX (DISCONTINUED)

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
N3X15
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.4+] Treefarm v0.10.0

Post by N3X15 »

drs9999 wrote:Introducing mod-version 0.10!

This version adds a new tier2 treefarm!

How does it works?
Easy. Place an advanced field, the overlay displays the area that is covered.
Supply it with seeds, you can either do it "old-school" with belts and inserter or you can do it with the help of your logistic robots, because the field works similar to a requester chest.
And now wait, after the first trees are grown they will marked as "harvestable" and your contruction robots will start chopping
(Of course you can skip the waiting-step and place it in an already grown forest)

dl-links can be found in the OP.

I really would appreciate any feedback. Imo the trees grow a bit too fast.

Also as a small teaser: I plan to provide interfaces which can be used to add other crops or something similar that can be grown on fields as well in the future.

Enjoy!
Thanks for implementing my idea. If you need help with the interfaces, I managed to implement most of the ideas I pitched to you as an addon. https://github.com/N3X15/factorio-agriculture Right-click on the ag-controller with an ag-controller stack to edit the controller zone's settings.

Fisherman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fisherman »

If you chop a tree, plant a little forest. :)
Great mod.

P.S.: We need this mod to RL, but all countries say it's „too expensive“ :(
Biters are so cute ^_^

Sorry for my poor English. I'm from Bearland.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Uh, re-planting of harvested forests is pretty much a requirement over here in the US.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.8] Treefarm v1.0.0

Post by drs9999 »

Released mod version 1.0.0!

I finally finished the new version. From the player's point of view the biggest change is that the basic field will need germlings to grow trees. Apart from that nothing much changed.

But under the hood nearly everything was reconsidered and reworked. This leads to the introduction of mod-addons. It is now possible to add new types of plants/seeds that will take advantage of the mod-mechanics. I added an (very overpowered) example in the op, which can be used as a starting point. It contains all mandatory code that is needed, apart from that it can be handled/programmed like a normal mod (adding new buildings, items, research, etc).
Also the new mechanics significantly improves the performance.

From the code's point of view this version is compatible to the old version, but nevertheless you might have to adjust your field layout, because of the need of germlings. Also if you continue an existing game you will notice that the previously placed fields are cleared, I had to do it to guarantee compatibility, but as long as there is space in the field's inventory you will receive a compensation.

Finally I have to say that I adapt the "factorio release policy" which means that the new version can be seen as experimental release :D So bugs might appear, but will be fixed asap.

Enjoy!

P.S. As always download-links can be found in the op

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.8] Treefarm v1.0.1

Post by drs9999 »

So, uploaded an updated version. It just contains some bugfixes for the mk2 field.

I did not had the time to add something new today, but I will try to add more content soon.

Enjoy!

P.S.: I would like to hear your opinion about the hydroculture. It was recently reported that it is to slow/weak.

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

Unless hydroculture changed recently, it was too slow to be usable with a small number of "machines".

The three problems are that it requires the pollution inducing way before being able to start it, it uses a lot of space, and produces very slow.

It makes it totally not viable to mass produce plastic bars, for example.

Also, when using with dytech, it means that it's an other thing that eats the stone reserves (both through crushing and red science packs), so before you can find stone through f-mod underground mining, it's not a very good thing to use, unless you got a massive stone deposit.

Maudlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maudlin »

hello, so after trying treefram for a few games i realized it was a great mod to factorio! but in my opinion, the coke to coal and ash-production needs to be balanced. right now it a 1:1 but if you burn wood down to coal there has to be some loss in physical matter. and perhaps the furnaces need to produce a bit more pollution and each furnace operation should take a little bit more time. the conversion rate i think is a lil too fast. but all around a fantastic mod! keep up the great work please :D

filippe999
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by filippe999 »

If you use the option to limit which inventory slots a machine can interact on the field GUI, it will void your wood.
Also any ideas how to automatically produce and supply germlings to fields? everytime i try , using an assembly machine making germlings, two inserters, one taking wood from the output chest of the field's and the other taking germlings out of the assembler into the field it ends up making too much germlings and completely filling the field inventory with germlings, and limiting access results in wood going to the void, is it possible to add an "input limit" similar to what happens to furnaces, i mean normal inserters don't automatically input to a furnace if it already has enough coal and ore/ wood to smelt, can you modify your field so that it behaves in the same way, i mean it blocks the input of more germlings if there are already a certain amount of it inside?

Thanks filippe999

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Maudlin wrote:hello, so after trying treefram for a few games i realized it was a great mod to factorio! but in my opinion, the coke to coal and ash-production needs to be balanced. right now it a 1:1 but if you burn wood down to coal there has to be some loss in physical matter. and perhaps the furnaces need to produce a bit more pollution and each furnace operation should take a little bit more time. the conversion rate i think is a lil too fast. but all around a fantastic mod! keep up the great work please :D
Thanks I really appriciate this. These are valid points according to realism, but imo in this case gameplay > realism. If there is not a significant boost/ advantage in using it, why using it at all?
filippe999 wrote:If you use the option to limit which inventory slots a machine can interact on the field GUI, it will void your wood.
Also any ideas how to automatically produce and supply germlings to fields? everytime i try , using an assembly machine making germlings, two inserters, one taking wood from the output chest of the field's and the other taking germlings out of the assembler into the field it ends up making too much germlings and completely filling the field inventory with germlings, and limiting access results in wood going to the void, is it possible to add an "input limit" similar to what happens to furnaces, i mean normal inserters don't automatically input to a furnace if it already has enough coal and ore/ wood to smelt, can you modify your field so that it behaves in the same way, i mean it blocks the input of more germlings if there are already a certain amount of it inside?

Thanks filippe999
Thanks, too! You already can achieve it, you just have to use smart-inserters and wired-logic. So you configure the germling-inserter to only insert if the field contains less than a stack of germlings and set a wood-filter for the extracting-inserter. This also applys for fertilizer btw.
And what does your first sentence mean? Actually the field only harvest trees/ plants until the inventory contains a full-stack of the "plant-results" otherwise the harvest is postponed.

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

I think hydro culture needs to go faster overall. but also use more fertiliser as well.

filippe999
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by filippe999 »

filippe999 wrote:If you use the option to limit which inventory slots a machine can interact on the field GUI, it will void your wood.

Thanks filippe999
Thanks, too! You already can achieve it, you just have to use smart-inserters and wired-logic. So you configure the germling-inserter to only insert if the field contains less than a stack of germlings and set a wood-filter for the extracting-inserter. This also applys for fertilizer btw.
And what does your first sentence mean? Actually the field only harvest trees/ plants until the inventory contains a full-stack of the "plant-results" otherwise the harvest is postponed.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, i'll need to learn wired logic then :\.
I mean that if you have limited the amount of inventory slots machines automatically can interact with, in the field GUI, and say you have already a stack of germlings in, and all the other two inventory slots are proihibited for automation, the field WILL cut mature trees, but no wood will appear in its gui, not even inside the limited slots, although a smart inserter set to take wood out of it can still interact with wood inside a limited slot.

thanks filippe999

ghoti
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ghoti »

I was just playing with the fields, and tried the exact same thing filippe did, and found that when you limited the inventory that the farm just voided the wood. Frankly, that's just strange behaviour. At the minimum, if the farm can't harvest it, the wood shouldn't just disapear into the eather, it should stop.

Also, treefarms OP yo.

One tree field with a coke production line can fuel a medium size base easily. The area used for this compared to the area needed for solar panels to do the same job isn't even close. Not to mention the differences in resource investment. I like that treefarms make it possible to survive without coal, but it's way too much.

In a sense, powering your base off the wood from a tree farm is like a solar power system, so it's a bit odd at how soundly solar power is trounced by trees.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

ghoti wrote:I was just playing with the fields, and tried the exact same thing filippe did, and found that when you limited the inventory that the farm just voided the wood. Frankly, that's just strange behaviour. At the minimum, if the farm can't harvest it, the wood shouldn't just disapear into the eather, it should stop.
Ok, just uploaded an update in which this bug is fixed.

This versions also introduces a research to increase the working speed of the hydroculture. Each tier (10 at all) enables a new recipe which is 10% faster than the previous one.

Enjoy!

filippe999
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by filippe999 »

drs9999 wrote: Ok, just uploaded an update in which this bug is fixed.

This versions also introduces a research to increase the working speed of the hydroculture. Each tier (10 at all) enables a new recipe which is 10% faster than the previous one.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the bugfix, i just unlocked the hydroculture on my world although no plastic from cellulose just yet(i'll need to fight over my laziness and link science pack 3 to my research labs at some point...)
Also, mior question, do the trees planted by the treefarm absorb pollution? also does the normal inserter can be set to output from your fields and not take the germlings after this bugfix?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.8] Treefarm v1.0.2

Post by drs9999 »

Yes they absorb pollution, in fact they are normal trees, so you can interact with them loke any other tree ( chop them down by hand, shoot them etc)

And for the second one, no that will not work, you have to use smart-inserter and set a filter for raw-wood.
Anyway I think that is not a big deal, because the smart-inserters appear quiet early in the research-tree

Kiapha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiapha »

The trees do absorb pollution, as was mentioned. Also, you can plant the trees outside of the field by putting them on your toolbar. I like to get 2-3 fields going with smart inserters to remove wood, add seedlings, and process the wood into more trees. Once I get a thousand or so, I go plant a section of a forest around my base. I have managed to reduce threat of attack to practically nothing this way, though getting resources is not exactly easy, with having to tunnel though a billion trees to get out.

akaJag
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by akaJag »

Hey please add a vehicle that can chop down trees, like an early game/mid game way to clear a forest easily. Like a lawn mower but for trees, like the one in indiana jones.
Would be so awesome and actually pretty useful.

0positivo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 0positivo »

'Ello. Awesome mod. I'm having a bit of a logistical issue tho

Unlike other things (like furnaces), they don't seem to limit their resource (seedling) to only a handful and request when needed... which means that if I try to have wood automatically extracted and seedlings automatically inserted, after a little while I end up with my treefarms completely stopped... as the entire of the inventory is filled with seedlings, and there's no space for the wood to be harvested

What can I do to solve this?

Cheers

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

0positivo wrote:the entire of the inventory is filled with seedlings
see the second quote and drs9999's reply in this post

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

akaJag wrote:Hey please add a vehicle that can chop down trees
Hmm, imo that is not needed. You already have shotgun, poison-capsules ( that are available early in the game) and construction-robots for this job.

BUT, on the other side it would look damn cool :D
So I probably give it a shot sooner than later, but do not expect anything for the next days.
FreeER wrote:
0positivo wrote:the entire of the inventory is filled with seedlings
see the second quote and drs9999's reply in this post
Thanks FreeER, I really should add screenshot for a setup in the OP

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”