Mod numbering convention

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mod numbering convention

Post by DRY411S »

Up to now, as a numbering convention for my mods, I have used

0.<factorio_version>.<mod_increment>

As of yesterday's announcement of v0.13 being stable, and the need to make mods v0.14 compatible, I've decided to start using

<factorio_version>.<factorio_patch_number>.<mod_increment>

Just thought I'd put it out there for discussion. :) My first thought is that when factorio does finally got to 1.0, then I'll have to come up with a new system!

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod numbering convention

Post by Qon »

Or you could use semantic versioning.

Seems to me your system brings more trouble than advantages.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

I've tried numbering mods based on app version before and it doesn't work out well in the long run.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

mknejp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mknejp »

Instead of basing my versions around Factorio or semantic I am trying to base them around the save game as that seems more useful to the player
<savegame compatible>.<production compatible>.<update>

Increments in the right number should only indicate new features, bugfixes, other changes, etc.
Increments in the middle number means recipes have changed in a way that requires you to change your existing factory setup, or the remote interface has changed in an backwards-incompatible way.
Increments in the left number means it is not compatible with previous save games and a migration is not possible for whatever reason (this field hopefully never has to change).

At least that's my plan and I'm trying to stick to it.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I usually do:
<do_not_bother_me _anymore(0/1)>.<number_of_times_i_broke_something>.<number_of_attempted_fixes>
:)
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”