Ummmm.... how does this work?

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Ummmm.... how does this work?

Post by JordanRL »

I just downloaded TreeFarm Lite and also have Bob's installed. Just to experiment and see how it works I made a small map in the map editor with a basic field that has 50 germlings in the fuel slot, and a basic field that has 50 coral seeds in the fuel slot. I first up the scenario and... nothing happens.

The map editor didn't have any other resources that were added... am I missing something? Or does this mod just not work any more?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ummmm.... how does this work?

Post by steinio »

Hello,

well i stuck also for a moment to set up the treefarm but it's realy easy.
First you make germlings from wood and put them in the field.
This 'plants' the germlings (you see a lot of green dots in rows on the field).

Then starts the hardest part... the growing of trees - intentionelly it takes a while (i guess 5 to 10 Minutes!).
But after this you get a lot of wood.

Dont forget to split the outcome and create new germlings in an assembler so you have a raw wood perpetuum mobile.

Greetings steinio
Attachments
Treefarm.png
Treefarm.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 8556 times

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JordanRL »

Yeah, what I'm saying is that when I put germlings in the field, nothing happens at all.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Can you provide a screenshot please?
Which version do you use of treefarm?

View unread Posts

JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JordanRL »

I'm using TreeFarm Lite 0.3.3

I can't provide a screen shot right now, but what it looks like when you open the farm is this:

The 'smelting slot' is empty, the 'fuel slot' has 50 germlings in it, and the 'product slot' is empty. None of the progress bars (fuel or production bar) progress at all, even after letting it sit for several minutes and forcing all technologies to be researched, and nothing on the farm changes visually.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Could it be, that the germlings have to get in the smelting slot?
The fuel slot is probably for fertilizer.

I'll have a look later if i'm at home again.
I forgot which slot it was after i set the farm up once and for ever

View unread Posts

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

I also forget which slot it is! If you put germlings (or coral seeds, or coffee seeds, or whatever) in the toolbar, and click it (or press the keyboard key associated with that slot), and then hold Ctrl and click on the treefarm, it will add 50 germlings (or coral seeds, etc) to the correct slot. You should not be able to put the seeds in the wrong slot anyway, so it doesnt matter too much how you do it.

I havent tried to use Treefarm with the map editor. I think the map editor uses a slightly different setting to the standard game? Can you see if treefarms work for you in the standard game? You can see if it is working, because once you place seeds in the slot, the treefarm will plant one every second.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It won't work in map editor - there is no concept of time there and scripts don't work I think. RSO also doesn't spawn ore in map editor.

JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JordanRL »

Errr, you guys understand that I was saying I only used the map editor to PLACE to resources and entities, right? I was very explicit about the fact that I was creating a test setup AND THEN opened the scenario.

The only slot it lets me place germlings in is the fuel slot, and it is definitely not planting 1 every second. I suspect if there's a problem it is related to Bob's?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Well it's really strange.
Don't have a clue.

I also use Bob's and also 5dim but it works plently.

Sorry for the long try to undertsand your problem. It's just because anybody believes in the first place that there could be a problem.
Maybe it's a bug which needs further investigation.

Which version of factorio and which mods do you use?
I'm not the developer but also interested in solving your problem so that you can also enjoy the game like you want.

View unread Posts

JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JordanRL »

I am using the latest steam version of Factorio (not entirely clear on which version exactly that is). The mods include:

- All of Bob's mods
- TreeFarm Lite
- ExtraChests for Bob's
- BluePrint String
- Warehousing Mod

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

If its not planting, that would suggest the script isnt running. I haven't tested it at all with the map editor, so Ill take a look into it. Maybe there is a simple fix.

Bobs mods do not appear to interfere with Treefarm in the standard game. The current Factorio version on steam experimental is 0.12.29 - Im not sure which version is currently stable, but you can check by clicking the 'about' button in the main menu.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Did you place the treefarm in editor or during game?
If former then try to deconstruct it and place again while in actual game.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

orzelek wrote:Did you place the treefarm in editor or during game?
If former then try to deconstruct it and place again while in actual game.
That could be the issue actually. IIRC, the in game script for treefarms places the actual treefarm, when you place a dummy entity. Could be the map editor is placing the dummy entity, but not the treefarm entity.

JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JordanRL »

Will test this evening when I get home, although it would certainly be handy if the map editor didn't break the entity.

JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JordanRL »

Tested and confirmed. Placed treefarm entities in the map editor do not place the actual entity (even though visually it appears they do). Any method of replacing the treefarms after actually entering the scenario fixes the issue.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

It appears that way visually because treefarms are a two part entity - and one of the entities is invisible.

Im not sure if I can change that and retain the treefarm functionality. Im also not very clear on how the map editor works WRT mods and scripts. If I could find some detail on that, perhaps I could fix this unintended lack of functionailty.

For the moment however, treefarms do not work when placed by the map editor. Fix is to place them by hand.

JordanRL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JordanRL »

Thank you all for the help troubleshooting this issue.

Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of ANY map editor mods that exist?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Well the explanation is simple. Farms are sriptcontrolled entirely. So the script has to be aware of them to let them work properly. A farm normally gets registered after it was built e.g. by the player or a robot (and unregistered if it was destroyed or deconstructed).

And here's the problem: Since scripts don't run in the editor the treefarm-script doesnt know that the farm even exists and so doesnt control its behaviour. Which finally means the farm does nothing except occupying space ;)

Anyway in the past you were able to assign tags to entities in the editor (afaik primarily used in/for scenarios to refer to a specific object in-game), maybe you could abuse them to fix the problem.
That being said I haven't looked it up, so I don't even know if they (the tags) still exist :D

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”