Changes to the modding board (incompatibility with 0.12)

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Changes to the modding board (incompatibility with 0.12)

Post by ssilk »

As explained in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 55&t=13326 the mods will become incompatible for 0.12. See also https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 89&t=13350

This was the reason for me to make some shifts in this board.

What changes will come?
Mainly name changes (See https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 34&t=13341 ). For example the underscores are used as word delimiter (findentities -> find_entities). I'm not a modder, but I think this is not so dramatically, as it sounds, mainly replacements. The advantages seems to be worth changing it. :)

Where can we discuss about the mods now?
Discussions about mods are now in an own board: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=82
Discussion about the sorting of the mods and the presentation in this board.

My mod is compatible with 0.12 now, how can I move it to the new subboard "Mods for 0.12"
There are two ways:
- Either you post a new article, then the moderators needs to do nothing and it happens immediately,
- or let us just know by clicking on "Report this post" in your thread (that is the small "!" on the right side of the post, that claims, that this mod is compatible now. Write as reason something like "Is now 0.12 compatible" and the forum moderators will move it. :)

This is also valid for those mods, that have an own thread (are in big mods...)

I want to move my mod to another category
Same way: Report your post. See above.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Changes to the modding board (incompatibility with 0.12)

Post by oLaudix »

Is there a place where i can find those changes? I would like to fix the mods myself and move on to playing the game asap instead of waiting for fixes.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I can second that - it would be good to know what kind of api changes we can expect to prepare in advance.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Tip:
Use Notepad ++(or any other program) and use the exchange that with this function, and your mod will be ready for 0.12 in no time :D!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

oLaudix wrote:Is there a place where i can find those changes? I would like to fix the mods myself and move on to playing the game asap instead of waiting for fixes.
If you go into the control.lua folder(for most mods) atleast go into the .lua files and change the things that has been changed :)!
If its not too bad then you should be able to fix it within a few minutes for every mod yourself ;)!
Logo

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

I would rather know now and fix it in the upcoming week while waiting for 0.12 to hit.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I think we were misunderstood ;)

We want to know what are the changes to interface for mods not where to apply them.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Not sure where to ask exactly, but I want a new Bob's mods section in the 0.12 area.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, I think I gather as much requests as possible; I hope that will spare me some time to make it in one turn. Otherwise it will overwhelm me. ;)

So: if any of the mod-moderators wants a board again, please cry in this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 89&t=13509 :)

I think I can do this on Sunday evening, I hope it's soon enough.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 89&t=13509

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Thanks for making a topic for it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Don't you find the modding board a little too splintered now?
Each of the subboards of Mods for 0.12 gets up to 5 posts per day, it's not that they're overcrowded. On the other hand, all that categorization is not that amusing to beat through all the categorization just to check whether something new got released.
Would it be too much to ask for a combined list of singular threads below the subforum index? (i.e. the list of recent mods that don't have their own subbboard, like theads from second to sixth category)
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Adil wrote:Don't you find the modding board a little too splintered now?
Each of the subboards of Mods for 0.12 gets up to 5 posts per day, it's not that they're overcrowded. On the other hand, all that categorization is not that amusing to beat through all the categorization just to check whether something new got released.
Would it be too much to ask for a combined list of singular threads below the subforum index? (i.e. the list of recent mods that don't have their own subbboard, like theads from second to sixth category)
Well i would say it is a little bit more organized now that it is the way it is since you dont really have to search as much as you would normally for that specific mod you want.
Its the same reason why science books are with only other science books and comic books are only with other comic books because then its alot simpler to find the one comic book you want because you dont have to look through two kinds at the same time ;)!
Logo

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Yes thank you, I know how categories works. But mods aren't necessarily as different as science books and comics. And for some reason you assume that one already knows which specific mod he wants (at which point it is more reasonable to go for search field than to click through the index.)

The thing is: the categories don't narrow the scope of search. Why would one come to the mods board and only make a beeline to a vague list of General mods and skip older mod updates however unofficial those may be? Why would someone go into Vanila+ group but have a strong distaste for New Items, Entities, Extensions?

As a variant of that problem: why should a certain mod go into a specific category? (Apart from corner cases of modpacks and better textures.) For example, why should one search for the logic belts in general category and not in the 'new entities' or 'gameplay'?

Also, what I said before: you're not always searching for specific mod or even category, sometimes one may just hop in to see what's new. And in a merged list of threads this would mean you'd need to see only the first page of board (since most posts are concentrated in a couple of most active threads and the rest of the board stays the same for days). In the categories, you need to check from 4 to 9 of pages from different boards.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well. There are 3 basic ideas behind the current concept.

#1 The categories are from the sight of useful moderation. (*)
#2 Some categories are from the sight of how much game-change effect they have.
#3 The modder is basically responsible to have the right information in his thread.

To #1. The categories are made cause of the needs for moderation, not for the pure needs of the players.
It sounds hard to say that, but the basic idea behind the reorganization is, that the mods will have (some days) a mod db. Like this one: http://www.factoriomods.com/

Such a DB can reflect the needs a player has, this forum.... how to handle 100+ threads in any form?

To #2: ... well you saw the previous 0.11 mods-section? I searched hours for mods. I think this is much better now, cause you might remember in which category you found a mod. Because the category is somehow definite, unique, measurable.
And it is also so, that every day there are coming new mods. It depends on what you're interested at. If you are in the middle of a game you are not interested in complete game-changes for your current game. But you are interested in helper-mods for example. And vice versa.

To #3: The general mods are a compromise. There are many modders, that don't care to sort mods into the "right" category.
I don't care. It's hopeless to moderate that. :)

"Scope of search": The search is as good as the searcher. :) The forum search is mighty, but difficult to understand. Google is also a useful search. I make me notes, where I found useful mods, so that when I come back I just need to look into the notes. That is somehow 80th but it works. :)

And in the end: Moderators, which want to clean this mess up and keep it tidy are welcome. :) But most modders have a clear idea, in which category their mod belongs to. :)

"sometimes one may just hop in to see what's new": That would be nice, but sadly isn't supported by phpBB. And in the end it would be a big mess. Only solution is a mod-db.

"you need to check from 4 to 9 of pages": Sorry, but the way I use this board is, that I go through all new mods. That can be clearly seen normally in the overview of that board (date, nearly no responses etc.). New mods are interesting and I make me notes. And the other view is, that before I play I just go through the mods (use the search, I have a list with my mods and just need to copy/paste the mod names) and look, if there is an update.

I cannot help better now. I really think it is a lot better, than before (0.11).

In other words: Make a concrete suggestion what can be improved, but without that I need to ignore this. :)

(*) We can discuss, if it makes sense to put items and gameplay together, but from my sight as moderator the result is a mess, because there is just too much traffic in both.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

There's a few statements which can be argued with or criticized but I'll try to be more constructive than the last time and keep the word count low.
ssilk wrote: In other words: Make a concrete suggestion what can be improved, but without that I need to ignore this. :)
There was that in the original post:
Adil wrote:Don't you find the modding board a little too splintered now?
At the moment of writing I thought I've seen somewhere around here an example of topics from different boards being aggregated together for viewing. But now I'm not sure. Can a single thread appear in different subboards?

And for a something completely different:
ssilk wrote: there is just too much traffic in both.
You don't read every post ever written on this forum, do you?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Adil wrote:Can a single thread appear in different subboards?
A thread can be linked when moved. That's called shadow topic. Or better: when you move a thread you can left a link. But only one.
See phpbb docs. https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ools_move/

It's not the way that can be recommended, the traffic is just too big. I do that only for threads, which I need to move and where it makes sense.
ssilk wrote: there is just too much traffic in both.
You don't read every post ever written on this forum, do you?
Of course I do. I make notes of every post and I've programmed me a own database, where I make notes about the posts and the poster. What is his mood today? How many children? Such things... Google asked me to be one node for their search-engine. But I declined with thanks.

Just kidding. :D
No. of course not. :) Currently I read more in mods, cause I want to ensure, that the effort I put into it is paying back, but in general I look into the boards from time to time and look for the creation-date, if this is new for me.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I've hacked these links. They're not exactly what I've hoped for, but could do in absence of a better way:
View new posts in mods subforum
View new posts in mods for 0.12 subforum
Is it possible to get them in same relative position as View new posts in the main page of forum?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Pretty cool idea. No, I think this is not possible so fast, but I make links. Looks a bit ugly now, but I think it is useful yet.

Maybe I will take a deep view into the possibilities of the administration of boards after my holiday.

Brigadon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Brigadon »

I would like to know why there is no option to register on the modding downloads.
It sorta sucks. I got factorio through Steam, but no login works.

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”