3D Models?

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Callisto1611
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

3D Models?

Post by Callisto1611 »

Just wondering if there is a mod for 3D models? I like the sprites but I think fully 3D models would look so amazing, high quality ones. Is there anything out there? I haven't played Factorio in years and coming back to it now.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 3D Models?

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I haven't seen one, and my guess would be that there won't be one as this would require access to things I don't think modders have access to in the game engine/via API.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 3D Models?

Post by robot256 »

There is nothing in the game engine that does anything in three dimensions, so there is nothing to add to the API. It's all designed around 2D coordinates, 2D sprites, and transparency/draw order/collision layers. The sprites are rendered from 3D models before publication, but that's it (and sometimes they use completely different models for each rotation). The 2D art is a very intentional feature (and unique and well-done imo).

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”