Maze Mod - how get i work?

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Paraklara
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Maze Mod - how get i work?

Post by Paraklara »

I joined a Maze-Game some days ago. Had no mods installed and had the box "no Mods" checked.
Although afterwards i am wondering how that worked, the game was using a mod for a Maze where you could earn some rocks and some chests and items appeared, also some biters and spitters and the maze grew.

Dumb as i am, i dont find anything about that, that works.

i tried everything i found about "RIbbon Maze" but all the Stuff is old and is not compatible with the actual version of Factorio.

Is there a Mod with another name? Or how can i get it to work? Was quite fun...

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Maze Mod - how get i work?

Post by mmmPI »

I have heard of those as "soft-mod" or also sometimes called "scenario"

Someone with more technical knowledge could explaining with more detail the differences with a "mod" from the portal.

The main visible thing is that those scenario/soft mod do not require restarting the game and as such are limited in what they can add/modify to a game but easier to join

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Maybe the maze was just a pre-defined map and not generated. So all you need for that is download the map at the start.

As for things appearing maybe the server runs custom lua scripts, which would send the script to all clients and then all of them run them so nothing desyncs?

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Yeah, it's called a soft mod. If I understand correctly the scripts is stored in the save-file you download, so all clients have it. Specifically it's a scenario.

It's the same as normal vanilla freeplay, which is also actually a scenario. There's also some custom scripting that handles things like the cutscene at the start, the items you get on spawn, the win condition, etc. From the game's point of view there's no difference between the freeplay scenario's scripts, or some online server's `soft-mods`.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”