Water as limited ressource

These are only lists of links to other suggestions!
First, do a search for if your idea has been already suggested.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Water as limited ressource

Post by mp0011 »

Also. If "lakes" have water levels, there can be level difference. If so, we can implement water turbines.
One end sucks water (and lower the level), other drains, increasing water level. Once levels equalize, quite fast to avoid "infinite pump loop free energy", You must find another lake with level difference, or suck more water from "lower" lake.

It is also possible to store energy that way, by pumping water to "upper" lake, and drain it later.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

ah yes, darkfrei has a new mod here with ice ores, and lots of ideas for it there too :)
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=57113

the small areas of water, being drainable, and then stored in huge Angels water tanks, or pumping up water up a cliff, using solar in the day for example, and for later using gravity to release all the energy when needed, sounds cool too :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Treahblade
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Treahblade »

I think this is not implemented because it does not add much to game play other then a gimmick.
If you add finite water then you have to deal with how users will get more water, rain is cool but wouldn't add much when considering how much the steam engines would consume. You would make condensers that would turn the used steam back into water and use only lake water to cool the condensers and only loose some water over time in the closed steam -> condenser -> tank -> boiler situation. IRL this is how this actually works in a real power plant.

So your options would be either do the above which just adds nothing but another building that has a single use, add wells where you could just pump up infinite water anyway ( removes the point of lakes ), or deal with unhappy players which spawn in an area with no water or very very little.

If your going to have a way to get infinite water via one method might as well just leave the current system.

MorioFactorio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MorioFactorio »

Personally I like the water unlimited because it in a sense regulates itself. Rain would replenish hence no need to have the drain and refill process. THOUGH adding actual rain to the game would justify the endless water.

QWERTY128BITS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by QWERTY128BITS »

I use this mod and it work very well with all that ideas:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WaterAsAResource

- There is no rain, but the water can "regenerate";
- Drained lakes can bu reused as oil/water tanks;
- Drain lakes is a good way to clean spaces;
- The game fells much better/realistic/balanced;
- No more "one pool" suply all your nuclear stations;
- A new level of strategy/factorio control to play;

it still have problems with optimizations...it has to save/load a lof of information...
if was implemented by the factorio developers, could be epic;

Sasuga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sasuga »

Water can not be a limited resource IMO. If you want to dry up water-ponds, and have to find new ponds, ok, ok... But, then we need rain to catch water again and refile ponds. (After-all, how do the plants get water? We need rain.)

b_d
Inserter
Inserter

Limited Water MECHANICS

Post by b_d »

:mrgreen: Ocean/SEA = DARK Waters TILE: Regen rate for Fish HIGH. UNLIMITED
LAKE/River/Water = LIGHT Water TILE: Limited Fish. uses % measurement value Like OIL mechanic; when Drained CLIFFs are formed in the old perimeter.
:arrow: When LAKE is reduced to Unlimited SEA water-pump needs to be moved to the new smaller edge and back to normal WATER Resource.

:arrow: PumpJack => Assembly Machine => Water Barrels
:arrow: Water Barrels => Assembly Machine => 2inserters => Empty Barrel/PipeOUT

:arrow: Barrels Can Pick up Spills (any Fluids from Disassembled Pipes OR have Fluids BACKUP to TANKS when disconnected; Fluids are pushed back the system)

:arrow: SOIL TRENCH Digger to connect other water sources. USES TANK Bulldozer attachment UPGRADE Flow of %Water flows through the Ditch created {Cliffs on both sides & front, when activated (Cliff generator)}
:arrow: WATER WELLS = OIL PATCHes need PumpJack to Get water from underGround
  • The map generator can have options for LAKE and SEA Tiles
  • NO river options
  • Fun Cleaning SWAMP Areas to DIRT Tiles :arrow: Water only Flows to DIRT Tiles ONLY? Bulldozer Generate DIRT tiles?
  • Dessert = Water Wells ONLY! :arrow: ONLY one SEA area attached to SAND or MAX TWO

kaiflife
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kaiflife »

I think we need a good ups idea design. And I'm afraid that water needs to be unlimited. The only thing i think really wrong is that the 3-2 tiles lake is enough for filling one pump. And my idea is to limited water input by how many water tiles is in a lake. Like 1/s by one tiles, that makes needed like 30x40 tiles for fully filling one pump.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

[REDACTED] I need to learn how to read

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

makeitgraphic18 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 am
[REDACTED] I need to learn how to read
We have mod for it
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Ability_to_Read

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Each water tile generates X water every tick. Pumps gather up to XXX water every tick from nearby water tiles.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

leadraven wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 am
Each water tile generates X water every tick. Pumps gather up to XXX water every tick from nearby water tiles.
What if we have two pumps in the same lake?

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

darkfrei wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 am
leadraven wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 am
What if we have two pumps in the same lake?
That's the point, overall output is determined not by pumps amount, but by covered water area.

Return to “Frequently Suggested / Link Collections”