I've beaten the toughest!

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

I've beaten the toughest!

Post by freeafrica »

I know it's a bit of a clickbait title, but let me summarize the scenario which I've just completed:
  1. hardcore, because I've used save/load game functionality only to continue my play, and I've never died during the play-through (this was my 7th try)
  2. setting -> deathworld marathon
  3. quite big of a desert for start (seed: `262728989`)
  4. no laser / no solar / no logistics (achievements unlocked at rocket launch)
It took ~76 hours to finish this scenario, this is how it looks on my first launch:
dw_map.png
dw_map.png (477.93 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
Let me know what you guys think, or if you feel, you can drop me a `seed` which you think I can't finish w/ these settings! (I play only in vanilla)

niko19225
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: I've beaten the toughest!

Post by niko19225 »

Well fine...
0.18.X
>>>eNpjYBBiUGBgZACCBnsQ5mBJzk/MgfFAmCs5v6AgtUg3vygVW
Zgzuag0JVU3PxNVcWpeam6lblJiMVDxAQcIBpqaWZSfh24Ca3FJf
h6qSElRamoxSNPqVVp2IBHu0qLEvMzSXHS9DIzXV5ya0tAixwDC/
+sZFP7/B2Eg6wHQLyDMwNgANoURKAYFLBLJ+XklRfk5usWpJSWZe
elWiaUVVkmZicUcBnqmBiCggU1FWlFqYWlqXnKlVW5pTklmQU5ma
hFQh6EZEJjLouvIzc8sLiktSgUbzKkLM1kXpzqsxpvpgXUZsCbnZ
KalMTAoODIwFDiDfMTIyAjxzgV7KEPPgXHWTBDYCRU5kOQAlfKEM
fwccEqpwBgmSOYYg8FnJEa1yDr3h1UlQCugyjkcEAyIZAtIkpExU
zbUV6D0vR3jn5UfL/kmJdgz9r7duuD7sQ0gt4uAooYJTqA6nIEBZ
uYDe6jUTXvGs2dA4I092OOMRiBCgA9IBLjBWAt6gISCDAPMaXYwY
0QcGNPA4BvMJ49hjMv26P4ABoQNyHA5EHECRLAywI0Eugwa8A79D
owO8jBZSYQSoH4jBmQ3pCB8eBJm7WEk+9EcghwRmP5AE1FxwBINX
CALU+DEC2a4a4DheYEdxnOY78DIDGKAVH0BikF4IBmYURBawAEkA
UtwAg6MnwTn8wIAEyrmrg==<<<

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

niko19225 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:54 pm
Well fine...
Definitely a challenge, but it has some weaknesses.

Spoiler

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

DaveMcW wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:16 am
niko19225 wrote:
Well fine...

Spoiler
Looks weird, how come the bases are that huge around the starting area? Did you modify the deathworld-marathon settings? Btw, does a map seed also include game settings?

Gonna give it a go after work! ;]

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Because the starting area size was set to none. Starting area size is arguably THE most significant setting to make a map go from "piece of cake" to "You'll wish you were already dead".
It governs how fast the biters will notice you and come for you, on a given map.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

freeafrica wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:49 pm
DaveMcW wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:16 am
niko19225 wrote:
Well fine...

Spoiler
Looks weird, how come the bases are that huge around the starting area? Did you modify the deathworld-marathon settings? Btw, does a map seed also include game settings?

Gonna give it a go after work! ;]
lol, its not just the starting area... lot of settings are tweaked, difficulty is off the charts :] no chance

Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Drakken »

Great work! I am working at this challenge with a few caveats making it IMHO even harder.

My settings: The only water is in the starting area, so there are no barriers to attack from all directions. Moisture settings at minimum. Tree setting at minimum. And bias set up to maximize sand vs red desert. I only allow a maximum of 2 oil wells inside the ring of biter bases. (I have to cycle through a lot of random seeds to find a suitable map) I play with zero robots, even those just for repair. The only thing I can do to make this harder is actually decrease the starting area size to under 75% (default deathworld marathon setting) or have no oil in the starting area which I believe would make it impossible.

I was on my way to winning in .17 (about to start blue circuits and had a stable base) with these settings and stopped playing. I have lost a dozen games in 1.0 at this point. It seems to me that 1.0 may be harder than my last run in .17? Getting the base defenses to hold long enough to reinforce with flame throwers turrets has been rough to say the least.

I can't stress enough how hard this can be. I know this type of game is not for everyone and can be extremely frustrating. Early in the game you have to run around constantly reloading and repairing guns while trying to expand and build a more permanent and automated set of defenses. With settings like this there is almost no dissipation of pollution naturally and all that pollution feeds the biter bases constantly. The waves of attacking biters is nuts and even tightly packed guns with AP ammo behind a wall end up getting destroyed frequently. It isn't until flamethrowers are up to supplement the guns that you can get any sense of safety. Yet still you have to keep an eye out for any destroyed pipes on the perimeter that will drain your flamethrowers.

I hope I win this eventually.

Finally I wish they had a "Lazy Bastard" achievement for deathworld/marathon settings so I could take this one extreme step further... Because I like pain...

Return to “Show your Creations”