Deploying large scale mining operations?

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Deploying large scale mining operations?

Post by BlueTemplar »

BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Unclebod
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Deploying large scale mining operations?

Post by Unclebod »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:49 am
Has anyone tried this ?
https://autotorio.com/example/outpost
Seems interesting.

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

I have been using autotorio for my outposts for some time now. Works great in my opinion.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

What i often end up doing is copy paste a previous outpost, when in a game with many generic outpost, i try to find on the map one that has the approximate same size/shape with miners on it and i just copy the whole thing including station miners and belts that connects them and sometimes defense all of that using the radar view.

The first few i do manually the tweaks, the more outpost you have, the easier it is to find a similar size/shaped one.

I don't often need defense though, i tend to only mine inside the wall, or just play without biters.

Unless i use robots mining, if so then i will try to make a tileable pattern to cover the ore patch, using rotation and CTRL-C CTRL-V, to cover the particular shape, then copy only the train stations. ( often doing the first CTRL-C from the map view from another outpost too )

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

My outpost building became much smoother after defining a proper (and simple) interface between the station and the miners. Since I don't use bots for outposts, it's just a specific number of belts, say 4 red belts. If you later switch to a higher throughput version, you need upgraded blueprints with more and express belts. I use 12 express belts in the final design.

This means that I use a station blue print that integrates well in my modular rail system, i.e. it can be "printed" "over" a straight section of the rail system. This blue print includes everything down to the "interface".
In a second step I print a very large standard miner blue print on the ore field that delivers the ore to the exact same number of belts as the interface. (It's easier to remove what was printed too much compared to the other way around.) In the same blue print book are blue prints for straight, corners (left and right) and crossings for the parallel belts that can be conveniently used to connect the two interfaces of the miner- and station- blue prints.

Add power and everything's done.

PS: I use power and armour to be able to command 500 construction bots. But I'm also an impatient person.
PPS: In order to fill 12 express belts it might be neccessary to use 2-3 ore fields. Hence, it makes sense to have a "merger" blue print as well. But all this is in between the two interfaces.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Kieutrang wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:15 am
So I'm inviting everyone to share their methods and ideas for rapid deployment of their large scale mining operations :)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BigDrills -- one machine, one full belt of the appropriate tier. significantly easier, though they are vastly more polluting and power-hungry than the vanilla miners for covering the same area, or the same output rate. I'm fine with that trade-off.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

What I do* is combine a number of blueprints that automate most of the chore of outpost construction while staying fully vanilla:

1. Use personal conbots to create a small starter outpost (station, radar, roboport, supply train unloading)
2. Setup train routes to/from the outpost, unless all outposts share a name.
3. (Remotely) Place blueprints for (a) ore loading station, (b) mining drills, and (c) ore loading into buffer chests. The supply train will keep coming until no more supplies are needed, so you don't need to be there for any of this.

I dislike bot mining since you need thousands if the ore patch gets big, and I dislike balancers and belt customizing, so I do a hybrid where blue belts move ore towards the station, and bots do the last mile to the buffer chests with built-in balancing.

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57564&p=341210&hili ... st#p341210

* (well, did, currently getting drowned in seablock madness)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Unclebod wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:19 am
BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:49 am
Has anyone tried this ?
https://autotorio.com/example/outpost
Seems interesting.
That looks like something someone should put into a mod directly. And then why not simply click on the ore with a tool to generate the blueprint. The LUA code can figure out the size of the ore patch itself.

Return to “Show your Creations”