How to kill trees...

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How to kill trees...

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

When you have way to many trees (killed more than 1.000.000 of them) you do have to do something about all the wood that keeps piling up in my chests...
Can't use em on trains as they run on Nuclear fuel and not used poles made of wood since day 1.
Soo.. what to do...
Factorio Tree killing.jpg.gif
Factorio Tree killing.jpg.gif (10.81 MiB) Viewed 5730 times
Got tired of blowing them up... and this monster eats through a LOT of wood every hour without me doing anything :mrgreen:

/old dude
:ugeek:
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to kill trees...

Post by Pi-C »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 pm
When you have way to many trees (killed more than 1.000.000 of them) you do have to do something about all the wood that keeps piling up in my chests...
Can't use em on trains as they run on Nuclear fuel and not used poles made of wood since day 1.
Soo.. what to do...
Have a look at these mods:
  • Bio Industries
    Provides lots of wooden products (which are probably useful in the early game), but also can turn wood into coal.
  • Hydrothermal liquefaction
    Didn't try that one yet, but it claims: "Similar to coal liquefaction it allows to turn raw-wood into crude-oil. Small amounts of crude-oil but still."
  • Wood Gasification
    "Wood gasification turns 10 units of wood into 20 units of petroleum gas and 6 units of tar. 32 units of tar can be turned into 1 unit of solid fuel or 20 units of heavy oil. This mod is meant to kick-start your chemical plants."
    This mod is especially interesting in combination with Asphalt Roads: If both mods are installed, "tar will be used as an ingredient for asphalt."
    Charcoal Burner
    Didn't try it as I'm using Bio Industries for wood to coal: "Put wood into a furnace, and out comes coal!"
  • Wood to Landfill
    Haven't tried that either: "Adds a recipe to convert Raw Wood into landfill at the same ratio as Stone. 20:1."
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Nope.. had not thought about it.. for some reason mod's keep slipping my mind. (must be an age thing).

I'm staying away from Bio, Bob's and larger mods for now. The Charcoal Burner on the other hand is right up my alley and a much better use of wood than just burning it up... Wood to landfill might be ok, but have that covered.

Thanks Pi-C

/old dude
:geek:

PS.
I do get some wood used as I have the Beautiful Bridge Railway mod and use only wooden rails for water passing...

fochristo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fochristo »

That's clever...

I Personnaly use a set of Blue chests requesting all my trashes (wood, guns, blueprints, fishes...) in a circle of the size of the artillery impact. And when it's full, BOUM. (Manual targetting on the spot.)
But that's not fully automatised since I have to fire manually sometimes.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:32 pm
I'm staying away from Bio, Bob's and larger mods for now. The Charcoal Burner on the other hand is right up my alley and a much better use of wood than just burning it up... Wood to landfill might be ok, but have that covered.
I'm also still afraid of Bob's and similar -- Bio Industries adds a lot to the early game (I even generated my map with lowest frequency/small/poor coal patches to force myself to use the wood-to-coal chain), but is not too big for my taste. Also, I forgot one mod, Rubber Belts: Transport belts require rubber, which is made in a furnace from resin, which in turn you get from wood.
I do get some wood used as I have the Beautiful Bridge Railway mod and use only wooden rails for water passing...
Bio Industries provides wooden rail bridges, too. However, I'm already looking forward to use the Lifting train bridges from Cargo Ships! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

I have now modified my way to kill trees...

Turning them into something useful was just to good of an opportunity to miss out on, so I'm now making coal (small scale) for my, basically dormant, military science build in my starter city.
Factorio Tree killing 2.jpg
Factorio Tree killing 2.jpg (136.08 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
Works nicely and nothing to it... Just smelter and install tree ;)
At least it does use coal on the line as I through cluster grenades at trees by the dozens every day :mrgreen: (clean up after nuking them)

/old dude
A good tree is charcoal

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I feed wood to boilers. They can consume practically unlimited amount.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Hannu wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:00 pm
I feed wood to boilers. They can consume practically unlimited amount.
That's fine for the first day or two of playing, but when you complete your starter city and get rockets off you do not have boilers any more.
At least i do not - the 3 coal plants I had in starter city is demolished as I needed the space for other stuff :)

So not a single boiler active anymore.. 30 nuclear plants and about 8 million solar panels at present, there really is no need for boilers.
(got 32,3 TJ accumulator charge, so no backup power either...)

/old dude

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:01 pm

That's fine for the first day or two of playing, but when you complete your starter city and get rockets off you do not have boilers any more.
At least i do not - the 3 coal plants I had in starter city is demolished as I needed the space for other stuff :)
I like steam power and try to keep ratio between steam, nuclear and solar (without accumulators) around 1:1:1. I like to have more variety in my factory. Single simple solutions are very boring and against what I feels to be Factorio's spirit.

Italian Cuisine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Italian Cuisine »

I keep a separate boiler purely for burning trees, disconnected from the main power grid. A couple of empty beacons drains the generated power uselessly, and eats wood pretty quickly.
It's not spaghetti!

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I use a steam power plant that wears many hats. It functions as early power, mid/late steam power with spike protection, backup power and incinerator all in one. It automatically monitors and turns on for the various modes. Has indicator lights to tell me what it is doing.

It might sound over engineered but it is actually quite simple, with only a few combinators to control behaviors.

If anyone is interested, blueprint, screenshot and instructions are here: https://factorioprints.com/view/-Ld1hKDrgO-7i3vLPB2d

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

Italian Cuisine wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:18 pm
I keep a separate boiler purely for burning trees, disconnected from the main power grid. A couple of empty beacons drains the generated power uselessly, and eats wood pretty quickly.
Essentially this, why would anyone need to come up with some clever scheme to get rid of trash when you can just have a dedicated boiler.

Return to “Show your Creations”