Mega Factory

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

UnrealDiego
Inserter
Inserter

Mega Factory

Post by UnrealDiego »

Well, probably not the biggest factory, but still quite large.

So, here's the overview:

As you can see, I have huge fields of resources so my factory won't run out of them so soon.

Here's my main and first iron production. The coal belt is also used for the copper production.

My second and bigger iron production. Uses it's own power system since it needs so much.

My third iron production. Was needed because the other two couldn't keep up with the demand.

My first copper production. Not quite as big, but not quite as needed as iron.

My added copper production, because there wasn't enough space.

All steam engines needed for producing enough electricity for the main part of the factory (Without the second and third iron production)

Here's my first production line. On the bottom is steel (Already have two crates full, hopefully you need in later versions more steel :P)
On the left my gear production, where most is needed for advanced transport belts. On the top is my Science Pack 1 production, in addition with copper cables and the first form of the transport belts. The left belt full of iron is actually coming from my second iron production.

Here's my electronic circuit production (In the middle) and advanced transport belt production (On the right, gets stored in chests). On the left is more gear production, since i just couldn't get enough of them. :D

My science pack 2 production. Note the belt with iron coming from my third iron production.

Here's my production for the standard inserter and fast inserter (On the right), and my five labs. Note that I have more than enough science packs for everything (Well, excluding science pack 4) :D

More electronic circuit production on the bottom left, and my filter + smart inserter production. On the bottom right is my advanced circuit production.

And finally, my rocket production (On the left ) and science pack 3 production (On the right). Nearly have a chest full of science pack 3s. On the upper left is another cable production.

So that's it. Any comments or suggestions?

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mega Factory

Post by zlosynus »

What else to say that "this is so cool!". How long did it take to build all this?

UnrealDiego
Inserter
Inserter

Post by UnrealDiego »

Thanks :) Good question. I think I started Saturday and never stopped playing :D
Last edited by UnrealDiego on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

You can see the building time when you are opening the save game, there is the total time elapsed.

UnrealDiego
Inserter
Inserter

Post by UnrealDiego »

Ah okay. Yeah got nearly 13 hours, not as much as I thought. Well, still no regrets :D

Xinvoker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xinvoker »

Mega factory indeed! It's scary big.

Questions
1) Was it built from scratch with the goal to have these colossal production rates or did you just expand on the original?
2) Do the faster c-belts really help? I suppose they do, but only if the yellow ones seem overcrowded even while in motion, am I correct?

UnrealDiego
Inserter
Inserter

Post by UnrealDiego »

1) Well, I just wanted to make a factory which produces science pack 3s. Didn't think it was going to be so big. :D

2) Yes, they help a lot. When you have many assembling machines, drills or ovens in a sequence, they may have to wait to put the finished product on the belt because it is overcrowded. With the faster ones, this isn't a problem anymore. Also, at least use the second fastest belts (the red ones) for turns. It really helps.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Ok I tried to start this post like 10 times and then I decided to just start writing and see what comes out. It is just a brain dump. Please treat it as such.

I went through the images of your factory. All of them. It is too big to comprehend all at once but still it is just so beautiful. I mean the factory itself is awesome. But what really hit me is all the work and care you put into making such a factory.

It is not easy for me to put down to words what is going through my head. I will try. I am watching the pictures of your factory and I am thinking: OMG this guy spend hours sitting behind his computer playing this half finished game of ours and atuallly having fun. The GUIs are from the nineties, half of the graphics is missing, it can crash on you any second (yay for the autosaves), it is hardly balanced at all, the cool stuff is not documentated anywhere, so many things ! It is just so unreal. I am sitting here and cannot sleep. Not because of stress about how our campaign will go (honestly that doesn't bother me at all at the moment) but because there is too much going on in my head. So many emotions, ideas, my mind is racing all the time. I am afraid my head will explode any moment. What if this is all just a dream, what if all those great screenshots on the forums were posted by someone as a joke, what if, what if, what if ...

A month ago we had to persuade our friends to go and try the game. Getting a save happened to us like twice or so. We saw just couple of screenshots from factories other than ours in past half year. And now - there are forums (12bay, FacePunch, this one) which are like one big Factorio screenshots gallery. Impossible.

Ok I think I am going to stop here to keep any remaining beliefs you guys might have about my sanity.
Thanks a lot for posting your factory. Saying that it made my day would be an utter understatement.

To prove that I didn't go completely nuts I will have one contructive comment: I would appreciate viewing the factory in the extended info mode (triggered by alt). That way it is much easier to see which assembling machines are producing what, how are smart inserters configured, what is stored in the chests, etc. Simply in the extended info mode it is much clearer what the factory does. I personally don't like the inserter arrow in the extended info mode because I find it too intrusive and have switched it off in the settings.

UnrealDiego
Inserter
Inserter

Post by UnrealDiego »

Thank you very much :) this game just makes so much fun. And the game never crashed once. It just shows how good you are in programming, even the bugs are most of the time just minor. And absolutely no stuttering, I can't even imagine how you did this with all the thousand objects on the conveyor belt.
But before I built my next big factory, I really would like better electric poles and a better way to produce electricity. Maybe just steam engines upgrades you can research?

Anyway, yeah I already knew about the info mode, just forget about it when I was taking screenshots. Sorry.

But here, I uploaded the save for you, if you want to take a look at the factory.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/UnrealSave.rar

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Diego, I picked up your save and now I know why your nick includes the word "Unreal", 'cause that was what I came away with! That is a *beautiful* factory; I had so much fun just messing around in it and making purple science packs for the labs.

Truly exceptional, thank you for posting it.

UnrealDiego
Inserter
Inserter

Post by UnrealDiego »

Thank you :)
Hope this factory is an inspiration for other people to build even bigger and better ones! It just shows what is possible with this game.

Return to “Show your Creations”