Racing water!

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Racing water!

Post by Trebor »

I've uploaded a save game that can be used to time water flowing in two parallel pipes (pipes not included). I built 1000 pipes from source to destination and another 1000 from destination to source then timed which one would reach a volume of 100 then 1000, but the results did not match what I had read on the forums.
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 7.07.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 7.07.08 PM.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2753 times
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 7.11.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 7.11.40 PM.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2753 times
The images show the volume in each destination tank and tick count when one of the tanks reached the threshold volume. Pipe A was built from source to destination, pipe B was built from destination to source, C is the tick count. I was expecting pipe A to be faster.

Feel free to run your own tests with any number of pipes/pipe to ground/pumps. Set the water constant combinator to the volume you want the test to stop at.

Turn on the S constant combinator to start the test. The status light will change from yellow to green. When one of the destination tanks reaches or exceeds the target volume the status light will change to blue and the values of A, B and C will be latched. The volumes have to be latched when the test stops because the water in the tanks will continue to rise until reaching equilibrium, and ideally the same volume in both tanks.

You can reset things by turning off S and turning on R, waiting then turning off R. But you will have to empty the pipes (including the source pumps). It may be easier to just reload and start over. If you want a shorter span of pipes copy/move the destination tanks and circuits.

Note, my skill in combinators is not quite tick perfect.
Attachments
Water Race.zip
Water race track! (minus the track)
(5.92 MiB) Downloaded 115 times

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Racing water!

Post by Trebor »

And here are some are the results from running this 0.17.5 for 100 units of water. Note the pipe built from north to south (A) filled its tank before the pipe built from south to north (B) received any water. This is what I was expecting in the original test from reading forum posts. Also note the difference of 1719 - 1690 = 29 ticks with the new optimizations.
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 6.10.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 6.10.04 PM.png (2.42 MiB) Viewed 1992 times
I'm curious to see what the numbers will be when we get the new fluid system.

Return to “Show your Creations”