Looks like I will never learn (caution: noob at work)

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Looks like I will never learn (caution: noob at work)

Post by n9103 »

I prefer to say: "No. Just, No." :p
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

n9103 wrote:I prefer to say: "No. Just, No." :p
I try to be constructive and positive.
"No" is such a negative word.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

HeilTec wrote:Whenever I see copper cable on belts I feel an urge to say:

"Use direct Insertion of cable on the spot where it is needed"
Yepp... pretty much like that. Not much to add here.

The only other legitimate way which does not end up in copper cable shortage and which I think could be worth a try is by doing it with Logistic Bots while having a huge buffer in the requester chest. But that's the most wasteful method I can think of that still works. At least it would allow you to produce all the cable in a centralized spot so the excess can be used for the Advanced Circuits nearby. I might actually try that in one of my sandbox maps at some point just to look how ugly it becomes. At least it would have to be a Roboport that's cut off from the rest of the network otherwise the bots go haywire all over the place especially if one is using Modules in the Cable/Circuit Assemblers. xD

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

MeduSalem wrote:

Yepp... pretty much like that. Not much to add here.

The only other legitimate way which does not end up in copper cable shortage and which I think could be worth a try is by doing it with Logistic Bots while having a huge buffer in the requester chest. But that's the most wasteful method I can think of that still works. At least it would allow you to produce all the cable in a centralized spot so the excess can be used for the Advanced Circuits nearby. I might actually try that in one of my sandbox maps at some point just to look how ugly it becomes. At least it would have to be a Roboport that's cut off from the rest of the network otherwise the bots go haywire all over the place especially if one is using Modules in the Cable/Circuit Assemblers. xD
Aaaand you just spent more on copper cable production (for all the bots) than you have on the rest of your factory. :p
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

n9103 wrote:Aaaand you just spent more on copper cable production (for all the bots) than you have on the rest of your factory. :p
Not if you have an entire chest full of Speed Module 2's because you forgot to set a limit on a smart inserter when preparing for Speed Module 3 production... Which unfortunately happened to me on that sandbox map. I realized the fail when the chest was about 2/3rd full with SM2's but did not care to stop it at that point anymore. xD

Looking at some other crazy stuff some people posted on the forum during the past year it wouldn't even surprise me if someone actually tried using bots for cable/circuit production already. ^^

Hum... didn't someone setup some Copper Cable and Electronic Circuits to be feeded by bots during the Hydra Dilemma on the far right side of the factory? xD

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Yep. Take a guess on who. ;)
BTW, I was referring strictly to the buildings and entities, not the products, when I made that claim, and I still say it's true :lol:

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

:lol: took the words right from my mouth there heiltec.

@MeduSalem, Its a game player that tries to take on cable for a green circuit build with anything other than direct insertion. Sure you can do it that way, however 3:2 with direction insertion is the far superior setup.

DanielHall15
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DanielHall15 »

Between the lines I sense that you guys are disapproving of my design? :?

This afternoon I spent an hour to connect a copper supply to the southwest of the iron expansion and have an extra train run there. But, since I have designed everything without any planning so cleverly, the train lines cross each other now and I kinda have a history with trains...

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

DanielHall15 wrote:Between the lines I sense that you guys are disapproving of my design? :?
You should probably think of it as friendly and well-meaning advise :lol:

The problem with copper wire for green circuits is that it is both produced and consumed at an incredible rate, so generally it's not a good idea to put the wire on a belt. Instead, you'd have an inserter move the wire straight from the assembler producing it into the assembler producing the circuit. The 3:2 ratio -root is referring to is to have 3 wire machines for 2 green circuits. My typical setup looks like this:
For really high throughput setups, you'll probably want the iron plate belt on the other side of the green factories so you can use fast inserters instead of these longarms. This setup however works well enough when you're outputting the green circuits onto a belt (it's how this setup once started its life, I ripped out the belt and placed logistics chests instead)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

I do put cable on belts in this design, but only for the advanced circuits slow consumption.
IMG

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

-root wrote:@MeduSalem, Its a game player that tries to take on cable for a green circuit build with anything other than direct insertion. Sure you can do it that way, however 3:2 with direction insertion is the far superior setup.
Yeah... I always use the 3:2 direct insertion.

I actually use direct insertion nearly everywhere possible because I hate belt mess for stuff that's not needed in large quantities further down the line anywhere. While I like watching the belt mechanics do their job (because it gives factorio the real factory feel) it is just a pain to maintain/service that stuff in the later game even with modular assembly lines. There are too many belts idling around in late game while others are starving. ^^

So there's no reason to have some of the stuff on belts ever... It just wastes space and makes everything ten times more complicated, especially if you notice a problem and there's no other way then changing everything... Moving all the belts and stuff related to it out of the way is just... URGH.

If I need access to an intermediate product in low quantities I use a provider chest placed between two assemblers.

I also often tend to build the required intermediate products locally where I need them instead of a centralized spot. This also reduces most of the belt mess to an absolute minimum. I made myself a scheme for that. I'm only delivering iron/copper plates and circuits with my main tree/circle and most of the other stuff is produced locally (medium quantities) or delivered by bots (low quantities).

In the latest maps I'm not even producing gear wheels centralized anywhere because the use of them is shrinking overtime and is near to zero in late game just sitting there and wasting space. The only late game thing using them is the defender capsules which take forever to craft so I can perfectly live with that stuff being delivered by Bots.^^

The only real hardcore throughput needed is for plates and circuits. Most other stuff is not worth keeping on belts thanks to direct insertion or once you have managed to get bots and that's when I tear the unecessary belt mess down and upgrade the plates/circuit belts to parallel belts in the gained space, which are much easier to maintain if there's ever a bottleneck. ^^

But that's just a design philosophy of mine. xD

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Now I know that all I need to do to troll you guys is to purposely build all my cables in one central location and use belts to transport and store them; while making sure to only use one side of the belt :D

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

xnmo wrote:Now I know that all I need to do to troll you guys is to purposely build all my cables in one central location and use belts to transport and store them; while making sure to only use one side of the belt :D
It would be interesting to be proven wrong since quoting has been in agreement for the most.
Please build a cable distribution network using belts that works in large scale. :mrgreen:
That would be something else. :D

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Only the worlds largest parallel bus would manage to output the wire fast enough. Good luck with using it in an efficient manner though.

Cdr.MaS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cdr.MaS »

Hey guys,

my first post in this forum, although I've been playing factorio for quite a while now.
First of all I want to thank you Daniel.
You really made me laugh so hard, I almost peed my pants.
But I did not laugh at your base bulding style and skills, but about your trait of being a tremedously funny guy.
The way you talk about your misfortune is just hilarious.
Thank you for that.
I'd really like to hear more about your base and how it is going.
As I started playing this game, I did almost the same as you. Trying to mass produce and bus around copper wire was even one of my better ideas.
I don't want to spam "good advice" now, I just want to leave one thing that came to my mind. It has been said quite some times in this thread now but I like the idea of putting it this was: "Thou shall not place .5 items on a belt. Never."

Return to “Show your Creations”