Let's see your clever builds

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Let's see your clever builds

Post by MadZuri »

I do a lot of belt testing, and this is a screenshot of my most recent test of belt "balancers." I also designed a lossless side-loader, and used the simple rebalancer from a previous thread.
results
I am on a quest to get rid of this blight in the factorio community!

Leon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Leon »

i dont udnerstand why do you need this? its completely useless
results

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Indeed it is, he's testing here different designs - in this case line balancers.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

But left+right-merge onto a single belt will always decrease throughput, unless the joining belt is faster than the following transport belt. As these are already blue you can see a reduced throughput in the middle of the image.
So if you have a nincoming blue belt you have to break it into two red belts, have both reft+right-join onto a blue belt, then further transport on a red belt and rejoin both lines into a blue belt again.

Dadys_Toy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dadys_Toy »

A little production of ironore with Yuoki-Industries ;)
Erde2Eisenerz.JPG
Erde2Eisenerz.JPG (230.76 KiB) Viewed 11984 times
mfg :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Leveraging roboports (repost)

Post by ssilk »

I joined now this thread into the clever builds thread, cause I was stupid.

I saw this on reddit:
https://imgur.com/a/RfHRY

What reminds me also to another post there:
Eternal Production in Compact Form
http://imgur.com/z5e03MI
(BTW: Any German would raise an eyebrow and say: "This is a Hakenkreuz-production?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika )

And when I'm in reddit-reposting-mode:
http://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/commen ... lt_design/
http://imgur.com/Vh4ATIW,NQ4YbGW#0
http://imgur.com/Vh4ATIW,NQ4YbGW#1

General-purpose Factorio assembly station
http://imgur.com/a/KJb6G#0
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Leveraging roboports (repost)

Post by MeduSalem »

There are some nice layouts in there... Remembers me of the way I handle my factories lately.

In my maps I currently have multiple from each other seperated roboport areas so that the robots don't fly all over the place like crazy. And within each of those seperated areas I group together similar items I want to produce. The resource delivery to each area happens with a massive belt-backbone feeded by multiple storage systems. The various end-products are sent back to another storage system by belt since the robots can't leave their designated area obviously. The different seperated production areas and the storage systems are connected by red/green wire buses so that production automatically stops when a certain threshold is reached at the storage systems.

But on a sidenote I wouldn't use as many long-handed inserters in my layouts as the layouts shown in the album above. I somehow hate them because I can't replace them with a smart inserter if I wanted to for some reason. Also the overflow handling may become quite... UGLY to say at least without the use of smart inserters, especially when there are storage chests involved. Limits in the output chests wouldn't prevent the storage chests from running full with all different kinds of crap. But obviously that is a problem in the layouts above because the designer tries to reduce the amount of requester/passive/active chests to an absolute minimum, thereby resulting in awkward distances between chests and assemblers.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Leveraging roboports (repost)

Post by ssilk »

I try only to use as less requester chests as possible. The reason is: Every requester chest needs to be filled with some minimum amount of items to make sense for the assembly behind, cause it cannot run then with 100%. If you plug two or more assemblies to one requester chest and all assemblies needs the same items (e. g. because they produce the same item), then the probability says, that you don't need not so much threshold.

For example if I need to request 30 copper plates to keep one assembly for copper cable running 100%, then with 4 assemblies on the same requester chest I normally would say I need 120 copper (4 x 30). But I need a bit less, let's say only 100!

... would be interesting to create a program to calculate the needed threshold depending on distance to the "source" and the maximum throughput...

Eyebe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eyebe »

A scalable and efficient but dynamic multi-item assembly line.

EDIT: I am having difficulty displaying a larger image so try this link: http://puu.sh/hrmyQ/c606ba852f.jpg

Auto load-balancing and buffers to prevent congestion and over production, not that you can see this clearly from the screenshot. Currently 64 Assembling Machines but could easily be expanded up to 256 with minor modifications to account for the increased load on the transport belts.
Last edited by Eyebe on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Now this is insane :).
Could you please provide a little bigger and more zoomed-in screenshot ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Eyebe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eyebe »

Koub wrote:Now this is insane :).
Could you please provide a little bigger and more zoomed-in screenshot ?
I am having difficulty displaying a larger image so try this link: http://puu.sh/hrmyQ/c606ba852f.jpg

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Eyebe wrote:A scalable and efficient but dynamic multi-item assembly line. [...]
Well that is easily one of the most sick things I have seen on the forums for a long time now... I like it. Even if it is somehow inefficient, especially on the copper cable/circuits part.

Eyebe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eyebe »

MeduSalem wrote:Even if it is somehow inefficient, especially on the copper cable/circuits part.
Actually it seems to be only time inefficient, saves space, prevents overproduction, and seems to have a lower overall pollution than most main-bus systems I have seen.

Started a new game and figured I'd show that the concept works with lower tech on a smaller scale (when resources tend to be more valuable): http://puu.sh/hsyLc/dd4cc67353.jpg

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Eyebe wrote:Actually it seems to be only time inefficient, saves space, prevents overproduction, and seems to have a lower overall pollution than most main-bus systems I have seen.
You may be right about it... Maybe it's me just being "Copper Cables on belts? Heretic!" :lol:

I'm just used to think of Green/Red Circuits almost as "basic resource" which I carry along Iron/Copper Plates since they are used in pretty much almost everything, thereby using 2:3 ratio pre-production of green circuits with copper cable direct insertion extensively.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Green Circuits

Post by ssilk »

Green Circuit Factory

when blueprinted, the last splitter can be replaced with curve
CleverGreenCircuits3.jpg
CleverGreenCircuits3.jpg (230.01 KiB) Viewed 10611 times
More than 4 assemblies don't make sense, cause even with express-belt (see right, only needed till the first underground belt) the last assembly cannot be feed completly. But there is enough space to feed it from somewhere else with copper.
CleverGreenCircuits2.jpg
CleverGreenCircuits2.jpg (171.3 KiB) Viewed 10611 times

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

I get asked to show my roboport solar blueprint fairly often, so I thought I'd upload it and share:
ratiod
I specifically designed it to be easy to build, with the correct ratio of solar to accumulators. Sorry, I forgot to allow walking room between them. The gap is intentional, so one could place a large power pole there on the edge case and accumulators in between each tile.

Graiver
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Graiver »

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if there was a possibility to make an automated supply post. I want a trainstop where I could just roll up and automaticly be supplied by my bots from chest near to the stop so it doesn't take too long. I just tried it and messed up my logistics system completely, so any help at all is most welcome! :D

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

Graiver wrote:Hey guys,
I was just wondering if there was a possibility to make an automated supply post. I want a trainstop where I could just roll up and automaticly be supplied by my bots from chest near to the stop so it doesn't take too long. I just tried it and messed up my logistics system completely, so any help at all is most welcome! :D
This may take a few more steps you are willing to do. What you need is an independent logistic system with 2 train stops. One for you, and one for the supply drop. At your main base, set up a requester chest (or belted in) for each item, and have them feeding into a cargo wagon with locked inventory for each item. At the supply depot have each item unloaded into a passive provider with a filtered smart inserter that also has a count limit set at some multiple of what you will be asking for at any given point. The logistic bots at the supply depot will deliver items whenever you are within range. They will also try to deliver goods while you are in the main grid, but as soon as you leave the main grid and enter the supply depot the ones from your main base will abandon their quest and return their items to storage chests.

At this point you could set up an extra cargo wagon that is usually empty to take your spare items or junk. A series of storage chests feeding the junk wagon will work. Just place your items in an active provider that you keep near the player stop. The bots will take them from the provider and deposit them in the only available storage chests, the one feeding the junk wagon on the supply train.

Graiver
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Graiver »

Well I'll try ;D

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

Seeing all these creations makes me feel like an idiot for coming up with this monstrosity:
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Return to “Show your Creations”