Hostile environment

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Hostile environment

Post by Boogieman14 »

Not really much of my own creation yet, but this is my current game:

Playing with bob's ores, so that's the calico pattern you see inbetween all the red. (and rseding's ore expansion, so eventually I will have to expand :) )

I'm up to blue science now and I've started building a defensive line of laser turrets to hold the cranky neighbours at bay.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hostile environment

Post by n9103 »

Good thing you're not using the rebalancer mod ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

You should really make a let's play. FishSandwich thinks he played "Hard Mode," i would love to watch this.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Not sure I've heard of the rebalancer mod, searching 'rebalancer' in the mods forum returned nothing, but you've made me curious :)

As for the let's play: Apart from my not being too comfortable making video in the first place, I doubt my playstyle lends itself well to making video. I tend to take my time doing things, which would likely lead to some rather boring videos. If there's any interest, I'll make some attempts to document my progress here though.

If I ever really get stuck though, I'll be sure to submit it to -root for an episode of FixIt ;)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

Boogieman14 wrote: As for the let's play: Apart from my not being too comfortable making video in the first place, I doubt my playstyle lends itself well to making video. I tend to take my time doing things, which would likely lead to some rather boring videos.
As someone who is currently 36 hours into their first playthrough and only just now starting to set up red circuits, i know that feeling all too well. I tore down my entire main factory three times, and oil processing facility once, before settling on a design i liked for both. Also I was 25 hours in when i even started to set up defenses surrounding my base (lasers and double thick walls), until then i just made sure to kill off all the biters around me early by crashing cars into their spawners and running for my life away from the worms, then doing drive-bys with another car to collect the artifacts. It was a rough start for me, but i finally feel like im picking up speed....

Now if i could only come up with a good design for my Adv. Circuits and decide if I want them to have their own dedicated copper and iron supply. I am told i should do it but then i'd have to expand my base more just to get another copper source and they would be produced so far away from my main factory...

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

So by now I have all the basics pretty much provided. I have my repair bots flying around keeping my walls in place and am adding a bit of a logistics network. Here's an overview of the core of my factory:

My aim was compact, not necessarily optimal, so there's probably a few weird things in there (and a few things where even I'm now saying "d'oh", but then don't feel like fixing :) )

First main challenge will be to find some more iron, the vein inside my base has a bit over 200k left so that'll still last me a while yet, but better to be prepared. Luckily there's a rather juicy looking vein a short bit to the northwest. Currently inhabited though, so I'll first have to vacate the premises. I see lots of turret creep in my future. Other resources are still looking good, after iron I'll need to start looking for some more oil.

I'll also need to start playing with bob's mods, so far I've completely ignored those (which I consider a good thing that I"ve been able to get to this point completely ignoring them, the only effect it's had until now is that I had to add a smart inserter to filter out some special ores :) )

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Sorry, completely pulled a brainfart on the name of the mod.
RSO is the mod I was talking about.
In essence it rebalances Factorio, but that's not at all it's name.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Boogieman14 wrote:If I ever really get stuck though, I'll be sure to submit it to -root for an episode of FixIt ;)

Bring it :twisted: :lol:

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

n9103 wrote:Sorry, completely pulled a brainfart on the name of the mod.
RSO is the mod I was talking about.
In essence it rebalances Factorio, but that's not at all it's name.
Ah yes, I've used that for previous game. I tried it for this game too, but I felt that combined with bob's ores, it gave too many of the added ores in the starting area. And actually, I think RSO wouldn't give this many biters. But yeah, the iron, copper and coal spawns in the starting area would likely make this nearly impossible.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

The iron ore patch I mentioned, with some of the nearby natives :| That's gonna cost me some drones...

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

random pic of a hostile environment in dytech
factorio15.jpg
factorio15.jpg (900.11 KiB) Viewed 6103 times

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Yeah, I liked the warfare aspects of Dytech. I severely disliked some of the core modifications though, so I quit playing with it.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

Boogieman14 wrote:Yeah, I liked the warfare aspects of Dytech. I severely disliked some of the core modifications though, so I quit playing with it.
Im curious, what parts of the core did you dislike?

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I'm actually currently playing game with all Dytech modules enableb, except metallurgy. I am only in about 7-8 hours in so have not experienced any of the biters it adds, but I fear the time when they up. I hope I will be prepared :o
Also curious as to which parts of Dytech you disliked?
Image Image Image

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Well, this is kinda awkward :oops: I don't even recall with certainty what I disliked about DyTech. The game is about 24 hours in and I remember feeling like I didn't enjoy the game with DyTech, but even after loading it up again, I can't really put my finger on it anymore (guess 20 hours of hostile environment blurred the memory somewhat ;) ) . One of the aspects I disliked is the added stone gears he threw into the mix. Other than that, maybe it's all just 'too much'. Shitloads of different inserters, added robots and roboports, different size chests, etc (granted, that isn't all just dytech core)

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Well, that hostile environment got pretty boring pretty quick, when all it comes down to is to use drones and turretcreep to gain a few more tiles on the biters. The only way I can see to make any real progress on the biters is to use destroyers to wipe them all out asap... And that'll likely get boring too :) I may return to the map occasionally if I feel like some slaughter and mayhem, but otherwise I've just started a some more more sane map :)

Return to “Show your Creations”