Unloading more than one fluid at one train station

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Elwin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Unloading more than one fluid at one train station

Post by Elwin »

I deliver lubricant and sulfuric acid to my base from the refinery by trains. I thought why not have a single fluid unloading station and so I designed this one.

https://imgur.com/a/j5X3C

The idea is to pump any fluid into an intermediate empty tank first and from there activate one of the outlet pumps for specific fluid to pump it into the actual storage tank. The first pump activates for any fluid but only if the intermediate tank is empty.

Then there are outlet pumps that activate only if there is some of their particular fluid in the intermediate tank. The fluid wagon is not drained in one smooth move but in small chunks, which makes the pumping process slower and that's why I added three intermediate tanks to speed it up.

To ensure that the train is not blocking the station and that there is no leftover fluid in the intermediate tank, the trains wait in the waiting area and are called by a circuit network condition when there is enough storage in their respective fluid storage tanks.

Blueprint: https://pastebin.com/JtVLbPwD
Attachments
multi-fluid-station.png
multi-fluid-station.png (2.03 MiB) Viewed 3391 times

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Unloading more than one fluid at one train station

Post by Aeternus »

Hm. Not the way I'd do it but it works I guess.
Why not have the train contents read, then activate one of the pumps based on the fluid type the train carries? Then once the buffer tank is 100% full, send a signal by circuit back to the train that tells it to depart via the OR clause (IE, depart if empty OR circuit signal D >1).
This issue also resolves a train with a fluid type not currently needed arriving at the station. It'll be kicked out again almost immediately.

Elwin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elwin »

Aeternus wrote:Hm. Not the way I'd do it but it works I guess.
Why not have the train contents read, then activate one of the pumps based on the fluid type the train carries? Then once the buffer tank is 100% full, send a signal by circuit back to the train that tells it to depart via the OR clause (IE, depart if empty OR circuit signal D >1).
This issue also resolves a train with a fluid type not currently needed arriving at the station. It'll be kicked out again almost immediately.
Nice, your solution is far better than mine. The intermediate step is not necessary so there is just one buffer tank per fluid type to make sure there is enough room to empty the wagon. Thanks.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

You'd not even need to fully empty the wagon. Kicking the train out via the circuit signal once the buffer for that fluid type is at max works too (max being 24000ish I would advise since it's difficult to get a fluid system to be at max).
Personally I prefer to keep stations separated by type, but if you've got a small do-it-all auxiliary base (or are keeping your early seeder factory alive after having expanded to a megaplant) you can deliver Lube, Acid and Petrol via the same station.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

But don't you only transport petroleum gas and lubricant anyway?
And a multitude more gas than lubricant too?

Return to “Show your Creations”