coal to lubricant

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

coal to lubricant

Post by vanatteveldt »

Sometimes when you have paused your factory to do a big construction job you can run out of lube because the PG and LO tanks are full and the factory isn't running. Right?

So if that is your problem too, here is the solution: a fully standalone oil 2 lube plant. It takes water and half a blue belt of coal and outputs around 3k lube per minute and some spare rocket fuel. It doesn't even need to be connected to your power grid, just prime it with heavy oil and 150 coal and it will start churning out lube.

Production stats
blueprint
Ratios are not perfect, according to my spreadsheet ideal ratio is 1.7 refineries to 2 LO fuel to 1.3 PG fuel to 1.5 lube, but it's close enough for my taste. It comes closer if you swap 2 sp3 for prod3 modules in the PG fuel plant. Anyway I don't mind the refineries being slightly underutilized since the coal consumption is a nice round number.

If the first column is operational it can be used to start a second column, just connect the HO, water and steam pipes. It'll sputter for a bit before the extra power comes online but should be fine.

Note: the reason for keeping it off the grid is because I want to burn the solid/rocket fuel, otherwise it needs to be stockpiled or the lube stops flowing. The system currently "leaks" about 25 rocket fuel per minute so a single storage chest will store ~20 minutes or operation, or 600k lube, and this might be useful for trains. If you have a nearby copper mine you could use the rocket fuel to power the mines,

Note2: I'm using turbines here to fit in the 12 tile footprint of the block, it would be a lot cheaper to replace each turbine by two steam engines.

[Note3: I don't think I'll actually ever use this, but I had a blast working out the ratios]

[and yes, of course you could convert the stored PG and LO into rocket fuel to get HO to flow again, but where's the challenge in that....]

Return to “Show your Creations”