Early Red Chips, In honor of the return of sideloading

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Early Red Chips, In honor of the return of sideloading

Post by quyxkh »

(edited with a better version, as an experiment I'm also including the solar-power array needed to run it)
blueprint
Attachments
snap@T2150451=2496x3184-94.25-40.75,z2.jpg
snap@T2150451=2496x3184-94.25-40.75,z2.jpg (519.21 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
Last edited by quyxkh on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaun_das_Schaf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Early Red Chips, In honor of the return of sideloading

Post by Shaun_das_Schaf »

I really like the idea of mixing the items and using the same belt for the ingredients and the red chips!

Two things I would change:
  • Use level 2 instead of level 3 aseembling machines, to really make it an early red chips production.
  • Include copper wire production into the blueprint.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

(edited with better version)
Heh. yeah, building large before construction bots can get annoying but this is a pretty easy one to remember so I was working on the blue-box version already:
snap@T2151757=4864x2976-99.25+22.25,z2.jpg
snap@T2151757=4864x2976-99.25+22.25,z2.jpg (909.66 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
blueprint
I'll see about getting a cable assembly line in there, maybe make tripled one-blue-belt-each-in version. I don't usually bother trying to optimize cables too much and just add enough capacity to keep the supply usable as and when.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

So a couple days ago my Factorio-playing hindbrain delivered me a note, which read "you know, you could try sideloading the two yellow-belt inputs onto a red belt first, and then use a red-belt splitter to, you know, split that." I just sat there looking at it, feeling so stupid. So I've gotten pretty much complete parity with my 15.40 2-1-1 supply-belt loader, slightly different behavior in various ways but yay for sure.

I edited the new pix & blueprints into the earlier posts.

Rather than add dedicated cable assemblers which I don't use this early, I added power-out handling and discovered I didn't need some of the backstop loading inserters, which allowed a very much simplified and cleaner layout, I'm really happy with this one.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

quyxkh wrote:So a couple days ago my Factorio-playing hindbrain delivered me a note, which read "you know, you could try sideloading the two yellow-belt inputs onto a red belt first, and then use a red-belt splitter to, you know, split that." I just sat there looking at it, feeling so stupid. So I've gotten pretty much complete parity with my 15.40 2-1-1 supply-belt loader, slightly different behavior in various ways but yay for sure.

I edited the new pix & blueprints into the earlier posts.

Rather than add dedicated cable assemblers which I don't use this early, I added power-out handling and discovered I didn't need some of the backstop loading inserters, which allowed a very much simplified and cleaner layout, I'm really happy with this one.
Interesting setup!

You'd need to make sure supplies are always there right? Because if eg plastic runs out the plants stop and the cable overflows into the output bent, right?

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Yes, the output sensors do double duty, they're mainly there to shut it down while any output backlog clears but they also work for supply imbalances, it'll just keep retrying. It recovers from every problem I've thrown at it but it's not very graceful with partial shortages, I suppose if my base ever gets to the point where I find I'm not noticing the iron or oil's not keeping up I'd put a shutoff and alarm on the main supply belts.

Edit: notice the drain belt, the outputs never get polluted, internal buffering in the assembers, distracted loading inserters, what not, add up to a very small miss rate on the supplies (less than a tenth of a percent here) once it's warmed up, it's like a real old-school engine that does a little coughing and sputtering as it starts. The misses I just shunt down the drain, there's a waste recycling center that sorts it all out into the supply buffers again.

Return to “Show your Creations”