Main bus output priority

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Radixx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Main bus output priority

Post by Radixx »

Since 0.16.17 was released, adding input/output priority to the splitter, I have been using them on my main bus to allow maximum throughput. The theory is to always prioritize to the right (since I am splitting off to the right), and this will allow a full belt to exit the bus if require, and the rest will continue on.

While this doesn't do a good job of distributing the resources between different sections of the bus, it will maximize the use of whatever item you have on the bus. It prevents the scenario where you have one section starved of resources, while the belt is backed up in another section.

Thoughts?

Shaun_das_Schaf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Main bus output priority

Post by Shaun_das_Schaf »

I'm pretty sure 90% of the >=0.16.17 players already use this design (including me), so... can't be too bad.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I put the splitters after the branch, not before. So they can fill the empty space caused by the branch.

Radixx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Radixx »

eradicator wrote:I put the splitters after the branch, not before. So they can fill the empty space caused by the branch.

All things considered, if you pull off from the bus at two points, there is no practical difference between putting the row of splitters directly after the first split, or directly before the second, or anywhere in between. It's merely an aesthetic thing.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think you could also reverse the order of the splitters (or even just the priority of the final splitter), and it would prioritize everything at the end of the bus first, while still allowing maximum consumption.

Somehow it feels unfortunate that this removes the usefulness of a balancer(s) on your bus, but I guess that's part of the beauty of factorio, that it's always evolving. In the end, balancers are still useful in other areas (e.g. train stations).

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

Shaun_das_Schaf wrote:I'm pretty sure 90% of the >=0.16.17 players already use this design (including me), so... can't be too bad.
Also, similar designs existed prior to the splitter changes that used the circuit network, but they weren't as reliable.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Radixx wrote:
eradicator wrote:I put the splitters after the branch, not before. So they can fill the empty space caused by the branch.

All things considered, if you pull off from the bus at two points, there is no practical difference between putting the row of splitters directly after the first split, or directly before the second, or anywhere in between. It's merely an aesthetic thing.
I thought so at first too, but your approach is actually not a correct "push down first" approach, i.e. it will only shift the belt one lane down, while my approach shifts the load down as far as possible. You should try it as it's difficult to explain in words.
Radixx wrote: Somehow it feels unfortunate that this removes the usefulness of a balancer(s) on your bus, but I guess that's part of the beauty of factorio, that it's always evolving. In the end, balancers are still useful in other areas (e.g. train stations).
Not really. This sort of behavior was and still is possilbe to achieve with some rather trivial circuitry (i.e. blocking the upper belts). It's just that before it was a lot less popular.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

If you're designing for specific throughput, I find it works better to calculate what is needed and just discontinue main belt lines after they have been split.

This setup is useful for intermittent items (i.e. combat consumables and the plants, belts, etc required to build the base), but for continued throughput of e.g. science or circuits you don't need to since you know consumption.

And if you upgrade production you would have to add more belts anyway, so I'm not convinced that a "real bus" scales up that much better
decreasing bus

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

vanatteveldt wrote: And if you upgrade production you would have to add more belts anyway, so I'm not convinced that a "real bus" scales up that much better
The main difference i'd say is that with discontinued lines you can't compensate varying production. So for "perfect ratio" production it's fine, but for "generic random item" or bootstrapping it's better to continue the lines.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

eradicator wrote:
vanatteveldt wrote: And if you upgrade production you would have to add more belts anyway, so I'm not convinced that a "real bus" scales up that much better
The main difference i'd say is that with discontinued lines you can't compensate varying production. So for "perfect ratio" production it's fine, but for "generic random item" or bootstrapping it's better to continue the lines.
... Which is exactly what I wrote above: "This setup is useful for intermittent items" ...

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

I do the same for mining, when i have 2 or more belts going from the orefield. I feed multiple from one side and split it to the far side. Didnt work as effective before. Now miners work at their max.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

aober93 wrote:I do the same for mining, when i have 2 or more belts going from the orefield. I feed multiple from one side and split it to the far side. Didnt work as effective before. Now miners work at their max.
I do the same actually. If I need 8 belts of output to my station, I have 9 belts that ore connected with splitters like in the OP (but opposite), so the 9th belt is effectively divided over the other 8 belts as needed to make sure they're all fully compressed.

Return to “Show your Creations”