Ore splitter

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Encrypted
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Ore splitter

Post by Encrypted »

So i have a few spots where the ore patches are overlapping and/or small but multiple near each other. I just want to clear those fields because of reaons :D

For the most ore patches i have a dedicated train but for these patches i want to have a multi ore train. Now with the new splitters i though now i can make it more easily when unloading the train.
image of ore splitter
Blueprint
My intention was that the overflow of the ores that could not be used would loop back and enter the splitter again with priority so it does not grind to a halt.

However what i didn't realise is that the filter on the splitter works by ONLY allowing the ore to go that way and not another way.

Which gave me this:
image stuck at iron ore
So it is not needed at all. You could in fact remove the top splitter and the whole loop back.

So now i will go back to 4 filter inserters at the cargo wagon to retrieve 4 dedicated belts (1 for each ore) and do the splitting there. If anyone has a different belt solution for this problem i would like to know.

PadreSperanza
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Ore splitter

Post by PadreSperanza »

I guess that there are not possibilities to do this just with the new splitter this way. Even if they let iron ore pass the other way it would be stuck in the loop back when to many ores are not delivered the right way. You could help with additional splitters before each smart splitter to take away the ore but this will result in stuck loop back so it wont help this way. (see pic 1)

the best way would be to use two lanes of each where the second one ist like storage to the first with double splitter. But even this is no master plan. You need to store your ressources or put them onto single belts each otherwise they will stack to be stuck when one production is bigger than the consum is. It will come. When it comes is just depending of the value and difference of production and consum (see pic 2)

notice: these pics are just made quickly so no good design or something
Attachments
2.PNG
2.PNG (852.38 KiB) Viewed 8718 times
1.PNG
1.PNG (261.82 KiB) Viewed 8718 times

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

i did some playing around with this with 'Creative Mode (Fix for 0.16)' mod. i added a second set of splitters to the 'buffer' so if one output gets slowed it would spill over into the buffer.
i prioritized the buffer on the input, and the filter line on the output. it's not working as i suspected. when the filtering line gets backed up it's not spilling onto the buffer. :|
splitter.filter.buffer.png
splitter.filter.buffer.png (163.95 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
creative mode fix for 0.16 mod blueprint string

PadreSperanza
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PadreSperanza »

interesting thing... maybe you should post this as a point in bug report forum?

But even if this would happen, you will have problems when the backup-line gets to may iron ore until the backup is full of ore and cannot be moved in any direction. This way - in no setup - is solving the problem when the input is flood with items that cannot output themselves.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

PadreSperanza wrote:interesting thing... maybe you should post this as a point in bug report forum?

But even if this would happen, you will have problems when the backup-line gets to may iron ore until the backup is full of ore and cannot be moved in any direction. This way - in no setup - is solving the problem when the input is flood with items that cannot output themselves.
i think it's related to "[16.17] Priority splitter can stop unblocked lane'

true. it just prolongs the back-up. as you said if it fills the buffer it would stop anyway.
the best solution is to have a place for all the ore to go. if you are backed up, stop mining that type of ore.

the splitter functions are new, i'm sure this will get sorted er straightened out.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

But you can't stop mining that ore in a mixed field. :(

Would be nice to have a filter miner that you could program what ores to mine. Then you could disable any ore that backs up and it would only mine the others.

PadreSperanza
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PadreSperanza »

impetus maximus wrote:it just prolongs the back-up. as you said if it fills the buffer it would stop anyway.
the best solution is to have a place for all the ore to go. if you are backed up, stop mining that type of ore.
mrvn wrote:But you can't stop mining that ore in a mixed field. :(

Would be nice to have a filter miner that you could program what ores to mine. Then you could disable any ore that backs up and it would only mine the others.
so if I take this both the answer simply could be to use circuit network to the non-mixed miners, watch out the loop-back and count the items on it and allow the non mixed miners only to work when the item count is below half as the loop-back length. or something similar. or store the items in chests but beware of the ugly designs of this :P

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

mrvn wrote:But you can't stop mining that ore in a mixed field. :(
in the field instead of filtering all the belts, i would only use it with rows that have mixed miners in them. ;)

PadreSperanza
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PadreSperanza »

true. You can split it directly at the mixed fields but then you need to have separated belts for each ore again. And this is - when I am right - what he do not want to have

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

read the part that is labeled "belt buffs"
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-225

kovarex stated explicitly that the filtered items will not spill on the unfiltered belt. this was kind of odd to me too, when i read it. but later i thought, that the filter splitter is not intended to filter rainbow belts. it is intended to split one belt or unify two belts with two types of items on it. that is the only intended use of a filter splitter.

on a rainbow belt it can block and this does not make any sense for a rainbow belt filter. i think we all agree on that.
Last edited by Impatient on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

the priority, non-filter splitters are not spilling over either.

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

I've tackled this issue (one type of filtered ore backing up and blocking other types).

Two things need to occur.

1. You are actually using all ore types you are mining.

2. You loop back the outputs of the filtering system to the beginning of non-mixed ore lines, so they get priority space to move outta there.

In this manner the mixed ore gets used first. Ore lines are filled out from non-mixed ore after the priority (mixed) ores are already loaded on the outgoing belts.

Without priority for the mixed ore, you just get problems.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

impetus maximus wrote:the priority, non-filter splitters are not spilling over either.
this is possibly due to a known bug:
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=56924

where this demonstrates the bug very clearly:
https://gfycat.com/GrimyOblongCaterpillar

Could this be the cause in your case?

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Impatient wrote: Could this be the cause in your case?
i'm suspect it is, yes. thanks

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote:I've tackled this issue (one type of filtered ore backing up and blocking other types).

Two things need to occur.

1. You are actually using all ore types you are mining.

2. You loop back the outputs of the filtering system to the beginning of non-mixed ore lines, so they get priority space to move outta there.

In this manner the mixed ore gets used first. Ore lines are filled out from non-mixed ore after the priority (mixed) ores are already loaded on the outgoing belts.

Without priority for the mixed ore, you just get problems.
You mean you split out iron ore, copper ore, coal, ..., move it past the inserter that fill the buffer chest and then loop it back to the non-mixed ore lines (or those with the most ore of the respective type). So when coal isn't used up the buffer chests run full, the coal spills past the inserter and back to the coal miners. Now they will be unable to place any extra coal on the belt so the amount of coal in the loop is limited.

Hopefully limited enough the belt never stops moving.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Kovarex said he was able to reproduce several problems with priority splitters, which will be fixed in the next release. (0.16.21)

Return to “Show your Creations”