16.16 Ore smelting to fully compressed blue belts

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

despathy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

16.16 Ore smelting to fully compressed blue belts

Post by despathy »

I'm still on my first playthrough of this wonderful game and haven't gotten around to launch my first rocket yet. I always find something new to try for fun or optimize first :)

I got an idea of how to smelt ore and load directly on blue belts with some inserter timings, using a total of 6 combinators. It seems to work perfectly as long as there is no back pressure on the belts. 7 smelters with productivity modules and 7 beacons each is just about perfect for filling one side of the belt.

I built 6 rows, because then 5 full belts of ore should match, although I couldn't get full throughput on a 5-6 balancer in my game so I removed it.
The full blueprint seemed to break the forum, so this is two rows that includes the combinators and the repeating patterns of beacons:
Blueprint

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 16.16 Ore smelting to fully compressed blue belts

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

As it's your first play through I thought I'd say hello and welcome.

You did pretty good for a first set-up. Compression may not be being achieved however. A typical fix for compression these days is to use splitters to dilute then merge lanes from smelting. Here's my first attempt. I've since noted some people don't even bother with splitters to dilute the line (they just move the near full lane to the side) except merging at the end. If you do use splitters, they're best 2/3rd the way up a lanes theoretical capacity e.g. after the 16th smelter on a 24 smelter line. This (so far appears to) avoid non-insertion from any smelters when things are flowing.
Compression.jpg
Compression.jpg (117.83 KiB) Viewed 8551 times

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

That's part of my "belt compressor" setup in 16.23.

72 furnaces with speed3 modules, in one column, are working 100% of time, giving 2 fully compressed blue belts, as before, not using any more space.
Just placed two underground belt lines, under the inserters, and add splitters with priority: input from central line (where new stuff lands), output to underground line.

Basically, furnaces has always place to drop inventory, and belt is always 100% full.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

mp0011 wrote:That's part of my "belt compressor" setup in 16.23.

72 furnaces with speed3 modules, in one column, are working 100% of time, giving 2 fully compressed blue belts, as before, not using any more space.
Just placed two underground belt lines, under the inserters, and add splitters with priority: input from central line (where new stuff lands), output to underground line.

Basically, furnaces has always place to drop inventory, and belt is always 100% full.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that it's a bad idea to have inserters dropping items onto splitters, is that not the case?

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

They are not necessary here, they may be moved just after inserters.
They are just for pushing material to both belt lines.

Important are the splitters taking plates to underground belts on the sides.

It works as expected - 70 furnaces 100% working, last two sometimes.
It outputs two full belts of plates, that is maximal blue belt throughput (35+ furnaces/belt).

Before this, only about 22-24 furnaces on each belt were working, rest has no opportunity to drop plates.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

i use this setup https://factorioprints.com/view/-KogJ8c9HZT3nJRErsIz

A bit compacter but you need ALOT of underground belt. You can put as many next to each other as you need and overlap the beacon. I use at the moment 56 of these rows for IronPlate production.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

1) the problem with inserters putting things on splitters, iirc, is that depending on where they have their drop off point the item actually lands before or after the splitter. So it depends on the orientation (or configuration with bobs adjustable inserters) wether the splitter is used or skipped.

2) Has anyone tested the compression with the latest version? Are the splitters still needed?

Return to “Show your Creations”