Smelter-on-a-chip

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

sonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Smelter-on-a-chip

Post by sonic »

Unloads stone, iron and copper ore at the top and loads cooked materials at the bottom. There's an extra train stop at the ingress point for coal, which is then logibotted to two refueling chests at the main stops.

The full image shows the entire blueprint and list of materials: http://i.imgur.com/UxFZ6XN.jpg

Now I need to make something that will consume all of this material. :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Smelter-on-a-chip

Post by -root »

Yeah, very nice. I've been thinking about a modular smelter design that is completely independent of input. I'm planning to build one in my LP. Thanks for hte inspiration and ideas though, I reckon i'm going to copy a few things you've done here.

Any tricky bits that you had to overcome?

sonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonic »

Yeah, belts were a challenge. Splitting four cargo wagons among six lanes on the intake side, and the outbound side is the bottleneck of the system since it's essentially twenty inserters trying to keep up with forty. On paper there isn't enough accumulator capacity but only if everything is constantly running. In reality I think there is much more capacity than necessary; inserters are the biggest power drain by far (~12k vs. 4600 for the furnaces) and they are mostly idle, even during the busiest times.

It's all design by aesthetics that more or less worked out.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

one over side with this is how long till the Train full up the Iron/Steel chests?
at max tec 5in with 1 out so if it tack 1 minit to unload a train it tacks 5 minits to unload the chests if the train is back befor that thay will full up in time .

sonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonic »

Lee_newsum wrote:one over side with this is how long till the Train full up the Iron/Steel chests?
at max tec 5in with 1 out so if it tack 1 minit to unload a train it tacks 5 minits to unload the chests if the train is back befor that thay will full up in time .
45+ trainloads (after the output redesign, 57 trainloads) would fill every chest. I just timed it:

Unload train to chest - 10 (total seconds elapsed)
Unload 1 train load to belts: 1:03
Load cooked materials to chest: 3:03 (ouch)
Load train: 3:23

Yeah, that's not going to work. With the output redesigned so the train is loaded from both sides, belt logjams are completely gone and the last two times are now:

Load cooked materials to chest: 1:50 (edit: got this down to 1:27)
Load train: 2:00

That gives the train ~45 seconds to loop back around and fill up, or if the two rails are separate I need a train every two minutes at most.

edit: Thanks for the corner design btw, the source I saw it at credited you.

Return to “Show your Creations”