About electronic circuits production

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

About electronic circuits production

Post by Xecutor »

I did some measurements and here are results (all AMs are without modules).
This produces ES at the speed of 96 items/minute:
And this produces ES at the speed of 264 items/minute:

Number of inserters is the same, except in later case 4 are red instead of blue, and it takes less space :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: About electronic circuits production

Post by ssilk »

It's very often discussed here, that copper wires on belts is a bad idea.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

ssilk wrote:It's very often discussed here, that copper wires on belts is a bad idea.
Well, you can speed up the first case to the same speed as the second by putting 3 blue inserters in front of AMs that are making ESs.
But yeah, this scales extremely poorly.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

I would think the 4 red inserters operating at 1 unit per second would limit the top amount of CKT production to 240 per minute.

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

Every time you put a wire on a belt god removes1 line of code for the next update.

Laturine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Laturine »

^ if the above is true. We might not have a game very very soon.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

ssilk wrote:It's very often discussed here, that copper wires on belts is a bad idea.
Generally yes. However, this is usually not a problem if you are using multiple inserters. If you use 3 inserters, you can, generally, move all the needs at once. Upgrade to fast/express belts and fast inserters, and things should chug along nicely. If you do it this way, you will potentially need to double-bandwith the wires for larger circuit layouts.

If you take the extra space to go belt->inserter->chest->inserter->factory, you can get the best of both worlds if you hook up a smart inserter on the output side to turn the assembly off (overproduction is bad, mmkay?) and allow wires to stockpile (which can also be throttled if it's a smart chest fed by a smart inserter on a local circuit network)

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

Im surprised the difference is so large.

I was under the impression that long-handed inserters are bad for factories due to their slower speed?

Penrif
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Penrif »

Indeed, iron input can become a bottleneck. Easily resolved by inputing the iron from the sides:
Nevermind the stray normal inserter. Pretend it's blue.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

Penrif wrote:Indeed, iron input can become a bottleneck. Easily resolved by inputing the iron from the sides:
Nevermind the stray normal inserter. Pretend it's blue.
This looks like a great design, I'll go with this, thanks! If anyone has any other efficient layouts please poat

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Personally, if I were doing a bot layout I would still have the iron on a belt, but I would have the assemblers on the copper side spaced one apart from each other with the circuits being taken out towards the copper side, (into a chest of course), with the iron on the opposite side. (Much closer to being the 2nd pic in OP, than the one Penrif posted.)
Otherwise, I usually aim for something like shown in the OP's last pic.

But in either case, the 2nd pic doesn't have iron as the bottleneck. It may have a problem with inserting copper with only one blue inserter, and it may have a problem with extracting the circuits if the AMs get module'd, but otherwise it's fine.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

n9103 wrote:Personally, if I were doing a bot layout I would still have the iron on a belt, but I would have the assemblers on the copper side spaced one apart from each other with the circuits being taken out towards the copper side, (into a chest of course), with the iron on the opposite side. (Much closer to being the 2nd pic in OP, than the one Penrif posted.)
Otherwise, I usually aim for something like shown in the OP's last pic.

But in either case, the 2nd pic doesn't have iron as the bottleneck. It may have a problem with inserting copper with only one blue inserter, and it may have a problem with extracting the circuits if the AMs get module'd, but otherwise it's fine.
I am haivng trouble visualizing what you are describing, but i agree that iron plate isnt the botteneck in in the OPs second pic, the bottleneck would be the long-handed inserters being too slow, correct?

So what is the "best" electronic circuit design that is easily expandable and efficient?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Damn, was afraid my imagery wasn't up to the task.
Incoming screeenshots shortly.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

silman wrote:I am haivng trouble visualizing what you are describing, but i agree that iron plate isnt the botteneck in in the OPs second pic, the bottleneck would be the long-handed inserters being too slow, correct?

So what is the "best" electronic circuit design that is easily expandable and efficient?
As far as extendibility goes, This variant --- with the iron supply between the wire assemblers and the circuit assemblers --- is what I've been experimenting with so far. I haven't really been able to put it through it's paces since smelting and belt throughput seem to be the bottlenecks for me.

Once I get the normal inserters replaced with fast inserters I am assuming here that the stack size bonus for moving from assembler to assembler will cancel out the reduced speed of long handed inserters.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

I definitely prefer the OP's second pic as my preferred EC build. You can build multiple setups side by side without having to worry about or deal with splitters and underground belts to get iron to the Electronic Circuits, and in one of my factories, I mirrored the EC build on the other side of the Copper line. While I tend to only use 1 Long Handed Inserter to output Electronic Circuits, if I wanted to increase their output there is space for a second Long Handed inserter.

Alternatively, if you want multiple fast inserters to output Electronic Circuits, output them to the side. Leave a single tile between builds if putting them side by side, similar to Penrif's build, except flip your inputs and outputs.

The best build ultimately depends on how you plan to build your factory and where you need to get resources to (or where they are coming from). Fortunately there are many ways to do this.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I'm between games, so these are only mockups.
No modules.
With logistics
Without
2nd red inserter removing is a must to keep up with Mk2 AMs.
If you're using speed modules, then this wouldn't keep up.
But if you're using speed modules on general circuit production, your factory needs an overhaul.

Crud. I meant to test if that 2nd blue inserter for copper was required to keep up or not.
Anyways, there's what I was talking about.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

n9103 wrote:I'm between games, so these are only mockups.
No modules.
With logistics
Without
2nd red inserter removing is a must to keep up with Mk2 AMs.
If you're using speed modules, then this wouldn't keep up.
But if you're using speed modules on general circuit production, your factory needs an overhaul.
As far as those long handed inserters go, how well do you think it would work if you replaced them with fast inserters and used underground belts to free up the path in front of them?
Crud. I meant to test if that 2nd blue inserter for copper was required to keep up or not.
Anyways, there's what I was talking about.
Given that this machine uses a 2:3 ratio of iron plates to copper plates, I would assume that, since one fast inserter per assembler is all that is needed for iron plates the same would be true of copper as well.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I'm sure it works better with the underground belts and blue inserters.
But it's overkill.
You're spending A LOT more if you try to speed up the process more than plain AM 2s can manage. There's few logical reasons for having to overclock such a simple process, and none I can really come up with, especially if logistic networks are in place. 2 ingredients in 2 steps. As simple as it gets other than 1-step items, and therefore highly expandable.

I suppose that's not really the point being made by some of the posters, but it's one I'll make.

As an aside, I would say that if you needed the most compact possible production, you would probably abandon the 3:2 ratio, and just make it linear.
There's an old Super Compact Blues thread somewhere here. It's outdated, since a couple recipes have been altered, but mostly still applies, just needs a little expansion. It's not fast at all, but it gets the job done in the smallest area possible before logistic bots. (And probably competes for the title even then.)

It's oxymoronic/ironic really, since the need for smallest possible isn't really useful until you have automated construction, but in order to get to the point where you'd be doing this, you've already done most of the research that needs blues. (Assuming non-easy settings)

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

I just checked. 2 red inserters per AM2 is more then enough to get EC to belt.
Replacing them with fast inserter placing thing sideways have no impact on production speed.

In case of AM2 iron is not even close to be a bottleneck.

As for AM3s... I'm not entirely sure that it's worth to use them for ECs.
When you really need to mass produce ECs, the space is usually not really an issue.
So, it's much more effective to setup another set of AM2s then bother with AM3s.

Speeding up production with modded AM3s for such a quick produced thing as EC is a straight way to hit transport belt bottleneck :)

NeoForce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NeoForce »

I don't like to have two different factory inputs for the green circuit, so I just use 1 copper wire production for each green circuit. But you have to make sure that your copper wire production is 1.5 times faster than the green circuit. Like using factory 3 for copper wire and then factory 2. If you really do maximize your output, then just build more factories next to them.

Return to “Show your Creations”