How can I improve this refinery?

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

cristiandrift
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How can I improve this refinery?

Post by cristiandrift »

help :)
blueprint

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How can I improve this refinery?

Post by Mehve »

Is there something specifically wrong with it?

I will point out this: it looks like you're using Speed 3 modules in your buildings. Unless you really need to save on space, you may want to compare the cost of those modules versus just adding more refineries and chem plants. :)

Also, the speed 3 modules are only in the refineries? I have to wonder if the cracking plants can really keep up when the refineries are at full output.

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

You've got access to both heavy and light oil in there, maybe belt in some steel and make flamethrower ammo?

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

The layout isn't horizontally tileable because of the way the plastics and sulfur are set up.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Maybe the option to switch off the light->petro cracking and add more light oil -> fuel (-> Rocket fuel) production. Productivity modules in the sulfur production facility saves some petro - with a 2/5 setup you'll not have acid shortages. Consider a belt/buffer setup for that entire thing so you can siphon off sulfur for explosives if you want those. A single flame fuel production facility can be snuck underneath the lubricant plant - just extend the belt from the metal going to the sulfuric acid plant a bit further.
Also, this plant is heavily biased towards petroleum. Add some storage for it in case of demand shortages, so your refineries can keep going.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

The new ratio for oil setups is: 8,1,7 (Ref, heavy, light)
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

mophydeen wrote:- coal to oil
Yea... You are using a finite ressource to produce an infinite ressource. Even some devs think its not that useful.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

Distelzombie wrote:
Yea... You are using a finite ressource to produce an infinite ressource. Even some devs think its not that useful.
coal is an addition. Only used when you have enough off it.
coal is in some cases more infinite than the slow infinite oil.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Distelzombie wrote:
The map in this game is how huge again? Has anyone ever actually mined a non-trivial % of the entire map of even one resource? I think the answer is no. So with that in mind, all resources are, practically speaking, infinite. So Coal liquefaction is worthwhile because it allows you to get more Oil per map area, and the cost is just using something that tends to be very abundant anyways. Unless you actually plan on using Coal-fueled Boilers and Steam engines for all your power needs, you will probably find yourself having way more Coal than you know what to do with. Why not relieve the strain on your Pumpjacks and turn some of that excess Coal into more Oil products for you?

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

At endgame, oil can be used for rocket fuel. Coal is needed for plastic and grenades (military research), not much else. You typically aren't short on coal, so why not send the surplus to fuelville?

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Yeah, I have never "run out" of any resource. More important to me is time/pain of setup and I prefer placing a blueprint of mining drills on a coal patch than I do laying down the piping for new pumpjacks. The patches in vanilla can also get quite rich - a 40m patch of coal will last a while. OIl wells do become more attractive if playing with reduced richness.

In my last game, I used coal liquefaction for rocket fuel and lubricant (all heavy goes to lubricant until tank / station buffer full, at which point it's cracked to light), which incidentally also allows for very simple late-game petroleum refineries.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

The meaning of it was: You dont have to do anything to have an income of oil after you've done once since they dont run out. At some point ressources are really far away and "hard" to get. And there might be one point where they are too far away and you keep adding refueling statoins for the trains that refuel refueling station and so on...

Return to “Show your Creations”