New Let's Play Series

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New Let's Play Series

Post by Xterminator »

Hi All,
I picked up the game a week or so ago and have been addicted ever sense. I am starting a Let's Play series, here is episode one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9UTyb8ha8k
If you have any tips on the gameplay or commentary let me know in this topic's comments or the video's. I'll update this thread with each new episode.
Image Image Image

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New Let's Play Series

Post by sillyfly »

We're starting to get a lot of these (Which is good! :) )

Two technical notes -
1. I really hate the black border around the video. I don't know if that's something you can control, but if you can - please get rid of it. It really does nothing for the video to force us to see it smaller than we could.
2. Even if you personally play without the minimap, I think in a playthrough video it's better to play with it on. It really helps to viewers (Or maybe just me?) to orientate. You may have a feeling of where everything is, but it's quite different when watching than playing.

Other than that - I wish you good luck. Hoping to see more :)

Oh, and one gameplay tip - you can Control+Click chests or machines to take all of their contents. It can save a lot of time opening the UI windows, especially in the beginning of the game when you are mostly running around taking all of the copper/iron plates out of furnaces.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Thanks for the feedback! :D I'm glad you pointed it all out, because I hadn't noticed haha
I had forgotten to turn the minimap on after I updated or something, so that's why it wasn't on, I'll turn it on in the next episode!
As for the black border, that is quite weird. My game obviously doesn't have that, and when I looked at the raw video footage, it had it, but not nearly that big. So it must be something with my recording software (using OBS), I will try my best to get that fixed before next episode. Sorry about that.

Ah yes, I had read that somewhere and then forgot the command, thanks for reminding me. :) Hopefully I can get some more recorded shortly!
Image Image Image

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Episode 2 has been uploaded! Any feedback would be great, and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wMsVGXzNxc
Image Image Image

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Xterm? Hi.

Some more info:
Holding down mouse button left and running let's you place electric poles automatically
Corner transport belts slow down the items
Steam engines show the yellow sign until you have something to use electric with
You only needed to put coal in the closer two boilers

You shoul play safe and get turrets and the ammo automated quick. Don't forget walls.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

just a few (hopefully) friendly suggestions.

you said that you would spend a few minutes planning things out before your next episode, which is really good. the saying measure twice cut once works here i think, its better to double check than to take your base apart due to one small detail.
so yea, i would say make sure you know what you want to do before recording next, and also consider re-making your steam engines, they work, but they're not as easy to understand as they could be.

consider moving the coal belt so that it comes down on the same side those inserters are on, then following it right so that it feeds your iron furnaces.

another suggestion is moving all the ore rock and coal to one spot to be smelted as a basic example of how the automation works, it doesn't have to be fancy but it means that in the early setup stage all the material you need is in one place, which saves time

finally, this is just nitpicking but please put the ore in your inventory into a furnace or something

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will try my best to follow your suggestions. Though when reading this, I'm not quite sure what you meant with the coal belt going by the inserters, Dakkanor. But maybe once I look at the map, I will understand lol new episode hopefully today or tomorrow
Image Image Image

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Xterminator wrote:I'm not quite sure what you meant with the coal belt going by the inserters
Use the same coal belt to feed everything, rather than doubling up.

I'm going to do a let's play as well. I think part of the fun is watching the player grow and get better over the course of the series. I think you'll be good to watch.

-root

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Thanks -root, I definitely agree! :) Once you start your series be sure to post a link on the forums, I'll watch it for sure.

And here is episode 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1-wC_pNmY
I did try to take into account as many of the suggestions as I could, and I think I made decent progress. Episode 4 is recorded and will be uploaded soon I hope.

As usual, any feedback/comments is appreciated. :)
Image Image Image

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

Xterminator wrote:As for the black border, that is quite weird. My game obviously doesn't have that, and when I looked at the raw video footage, it had it, but not nearly that big. So it must be something with my recording software (using OBS), I will try my best to get that fixed before next episode. Sorry about that. !
I'm having the same problem with the black border in my recordings. If you could let me know how you fixed it, that would be great, because I can't seem to figure it out.

Keep up the good work!

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Xterminator wrote:And here is episode 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1-wC_pNmY
Not bad. Keep up the good work. Don't be afraid of continually revising your designs, thats how you build humongous bases!
FKODgaming wrote:I'm having the same problem with the black border in my recordings.
Check that your encoding and uploading settings match your resolution maybe?

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Thanks guys! As for the black borders, the only way I managed to get rid of them is to change the video aspect ratio to 16:9 in Windows Movie Maker. If you use that, then it should fix it, but if you use another editing software, I'm I won't be much help. ;/

But yeah I think you have to change the ratio in your editing software, because changing it with my recording software did nothing Hana
Yes I will most likely be revising my designs, -root, sense I seem to always not leave enough space to expand lol
Image Image Image

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Image Image Image

Return to “Show your Creations”