My somewhat compact T1-4 design

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

djnekkid
Inserter
Inserter

My somewhat compact T1-4 design

Post by djnekkid »

Hi all!

After a couple of my reguar youtubers (quill and aruma) had some factorio content, I immedeately saw that this were a game for me...

And a couple of trial and errors later, I found a setup I find rather compact, and somewhat modular. The only thing that is currently "holding me back" is the production of tier1 electronics, but higher buildings with more speed mods should suffice.

Here is a huge pic of my base, basicly cut'and'paste in mspaint :)

Thoughts?
(Click pic for 4x bigger view)

ataaron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: My somewhat compact T1-4 design

Post by ataaron »

Not very space efficient
In this setup one blue tech is made while 3 red ones are made and the entire thing will be only as fast as its slowest part
(atleast thats how it is in 0.10.0)

djnekkid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by djnekkid »

Well, the red vs blue is a valid point, but please, elaborate on space efficiency? Perhaps with only bots, but I try not to use them too much...

I know there are a square here or there, but all in all, pretty much everthing is squized in quite much. And with both sides of the belt beeing used for different items.

i'ts not that im not open for critic, far from it. That is why I did put the pic up in the first place. But please be constructive, and not just "that is such!", without a "because if you did X you could do Y better"

ataaron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ataaron »

So the bottleneck is the part where the blue tech itself is put together, so you either save space by removing red tech assemblers or you build more blue tech assemblers in order to compensate.

that is because the building times for the different techs vary while the research needs the same amount of all, so the times to build techs are:
-Red:5
-Green:6
-Blue:12

So for example: To compensate for one green tech assembler you need exactly two blue ones to produce the same amount in the same time.
otherwise you will have too much red and/or green and everything is waiting for blue ones.

Of course you then need to make sure that the assemblers can always run without running out of parts. You can calculate that too so you only build the exact amount of assemblers/chemical reactors/furnaces/Oil refinerys/Miners you need to keep the factory running at all time while not wasting space with too many structures.

and the last important thing is to make sure the belts don't get overloaded and delay things (Copper wire tends to do this)

djnekkid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by djnekkid »

ive noticed the copper wire overcrowding... That is the reason they all have double fast inserters from the copper wire buildings to the green electronics buildings. :)

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

djnekkid wrote:ive noticed the copper wire overcrowding... That is the reason they all have double fast inserters from the copper wire buildings to the green electronics buildings. :)
Best thing with copper wires is to insert them directly into the circuit assembler. With stack size upgrades you can keep the circuit assembler constantly fed. Via belt is doable but difficult.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

You want more red and blue packs early because the research timers are shorter during those tech phases. Ten labs is usually a conservatively sane amount to work with.

You want those five redpack factories early, since 15-sec cycle projects will eat a pack every 1.5 seconds (with ten labs). Same with green packs, since the infrastructure to support six is complex, but still sane. You should still keep the older infrastructure with the red/green packs, because, well, why fix what's not broke?

Things slow down a lot in tier 3. When the cycles are 30-60 seconds long, you don't need a lot of blue packs to meet demands. Blue packs, however, can produce at a slower pace. With ten labs, you only need 1 pack every 3-6 seconds, which can be, oddly enough, handled via only 4 blue factories.

Return to “Show your Creations”