Second game.

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

nocturnalAndroid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Second game.

Post by nocturnalAndroid »

Hi, New Here, this was my second game.
As you can see this was on peaceful mode, witch is a bit of a cheat.
Would be glad to know what you think, especially about the design of the mass production center, I think it's very scalable, but it does waste a lot of space which can be an issue on a non-peaceful game.
Sorry, I forgot to hit alt before taking the screenshots, so no info...

(Click for full size)

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Second game.

Post by Talguy »

Where's waldo?

Nice base :)!

Rensiur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rensiur »

I must say that I love that stitched together Screenshot, its gigantic but actually allows to have a look at the details.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

THAT. IS. AWESOME!! :D

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

A few questions, hoping to learn from other viewpoints:
1) sometimes you use splitters, sometimes 1 or sometimes 2 inserters to supply a secondary line, such as in mass production center. Is there a reason why each was used? space does not seem to be an issue there.
2) you seem to have skipped some nice mining spots, is there a reason you set up longer distance routes before using up all the local sources?
3) do you really need that many research facilities and how often do you produce enough to get them all actually running at the same time?
4) is the middle east really just two pumps? is that enough oil for this big a factory?

Love the little notes.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

Research Boot.

That is all.

nocturnalAndroid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Talguy wrote:Where's waldo?
Keen eye :) wasn't sure anyone wold notice.
Rensiur wrote:I must say that I love that stitched together Screenshot, its gigantic but actually allows to have a look at the details.
It was either this or making a video, I think this is easier to look at...
torham wrote:THAT. IS. AWESOME!! :D
Thanks. :)
starxplor wrote:A few questions, hoping to learn from other viewpoints:
1) sometimes you use splitters, sometimes 1 or sometimes 2 inserters to supply a secondary line, such as in mass production center. Is there a reason why each was used? space does not seem to be an issue there.
2) you seem to have skipped some nice mining spots, is there a reason you set up longer distance routes before using up all the local sources?
3) do you really need that many research facilities and how often do you produce enough to get them all actually running at the same time?
4) is the middle east really just two pumps? is that enough oil for this big a factory?

Love the little notes.
Mostly, the answer to all your questions is that this was my second game, and I was experimenting with different game mechanics.
That said:
1) I just started with one inserter, added more if it didn't provide enough flow, and finally added a splitter. the different methods could provide a sort of load balancing for the distribution of resources.
2) If I understand correctly you are referring to the patch of copper east of the train hub and the iron to the south of it. Other then the fact I really wanted to build a train system, the patches just seem too small to bothering with, and not worth the mess of hocking them up. The tree iron train lines go to patches more then 5 times larger then the small patch there, as is the copper line...
3) No, that is a definite overkill, when researching red/green tech I did have them all running together(finishing techs in a manner of a couple of minutes, and some in seconds), but once you hit blue tech, building the science packs becomes the bottleneck.
4) Yeah, it's pointless, just wanted to experiment with transporting oil in barrels, the factory is hocked up to more pumps by pipes...

CreeperDaReeper wrote:Research Boot.
A base with no research boot is hardly a base at all...

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Very nice :)

How did you stitch it all together? Lot's of hard work, or do you have any tricks you can share? ;)

nocturnalAndroid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I used microsoft image composite editor: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... s/ivm/ICE/
It's free...

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

Are you telling me this program automatically joins the images together for you? I've been using Paint.NET to manually join images of RTS games... Have you noticed any limitations? Filesize, resolution, total final image size etc?

Also, next time you make one of these images, do 2 versions. One like you did, and one using alt to show the assembly products and direction of inserters. Sorry if that is alot to ask, I really like how you edited and zoned the map.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

yes, it stitched them itself. You just list every picture you want to.

i use Photoshop to stitch my pictures together

And waldo was easy to find!
I wouldn't mind a zoomed out map view of the world :) Just to see where those trains go
I love seeing how people deal with trains.

me
me
me
mir
me again

I can't believe you went through all that time to do that... lol (making the me)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I am a bit worried that no one has stepped up to claim the unknown walker as themselves visiting this game...

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

Where is your defense ? ... if i would build this i would be overrun by biters ... but nice setup :)

Covertcreeper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Covertcreeper »

Nice base, Ill grab some pointers from it! ;)

Covertcreeper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Covertcreeper »

YuokiTani wrote:Where is your defense ? ... if i would build this i would be overrun by biters ... but nice setup :)
If you had read his description, you would see its on peaceful mode. :)

Return to “Show your Creations”